Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Read your Formost-AARP polices!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tconnors810
One of the members in our riding group went down during a group ride. We are near the VT boarder and ride in VT frequently. Well now, along with a lot of other problems related to the crash, he will not be getting any money for his bike.

In the small print: the insurance is only good within New York State.

I can't stand AARP for a lot of reasons, but this one is the worst. Yes, he should have read what he signed, but to sell something like this should be a crime.

Read what you sign and read those policies

If this is auto insurance we are talking about, I'd bet he either misread the policy or they are conning him. He needs to talk to a lawyer.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Can you please post that endorsement. I have never heard of such a thing. I have one word for him if its true, Banking and Insurance Dept.!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Tconnors810
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm am simply relaying information that was given to our riding group by the wife of the down rider. He was in the hospital, several broken ribs, broken collar bone at the time of the accident. Now he is back in the hospital with a subdural hematoma he's in his early 70's so it is quite serious.

I'm not in a position to ask for a copy of his policy. There is nothing "fishy here" and I'm not trying to "stir the pot". I was very clear that it was his responsibility to read his policy.

The only reason for the post was to make sure no one else ran into this problem.

TC

Old 11-30-2010, 08:27 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GREENOHAWK69
That is hilarious!! Gotta send a used condom next. Thanks for the laughs.
Funny thing I learned from dealing with prison inmates - you can spend some time in a federal prison for that.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:30 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tconnors810
I'm am simply relaying information that was given to our riding group by the wife of the down rider. He was in the hospital, several broken ribs, broken collar bone at the time of the accident. Now he is back in the hospital with a subdural hematoma he's in his early 70's so it is quite serious.

I'm not in a position to ask for a copy of his policy. There is nothing "fishy here" and I'm not trying to "stir the pot". I was very clear that it was his responsibility to read his policy.

The only reason for the post was to make sure no one else ran into this problem.

TC
The point is, do you really think insurance companies sell policies that make you uninsured when you cross into another state, in violation of the laws of just about every state in the country? I'm doubting it, but I have sued my insurance company and individual agents and adjusters more than once for claiming damage was not covered even though it clearly was.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Tconnors810
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
The point is, do you really think insurance companies sell policies that make you uninsured when you cross into another state, in violation of the laws of just about every state in the country? I'm doubting it, but I have sued my insurance company and individual agents and adjusters more than once for claiming damage was not covered even though it clearly was.
The point is, yes I do think it's possible.

There is no requirement to carry collision insurance, he owns it free and clear, no violation of any laws

A motorcycle is not a motor vehicle within the meaning of the No-Fault Law. Since motorcycles are exempt from the definition of motor vehicle, a motorcyclist is not a covered person under the No- Fault Law and is not entitled to these medical and lost wage benefits.

Medical cost are not covered without a separate rider

ATV and boats commonly have area of use clauses

In some states a separate rider is required for a passenger to be covered for medical expenses when the rider of the bike is at fault.

Motorcycles are not cars and are handled differently by insurance companies.

So yep, I think it's possible

Last edited by Tconnors810; 11-30-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:32 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I am aware of certain provisions in NY state insurance laws which, I think, only affect the uninsured motorist portion of your policy. It simply requires that you add an additional feature to your coverage to remove this limitation. It was just a few bucks but it eliminated a severe technicality if you're out of state. I'm sorry I can't be more specific. Maybe there's an insurance guy on the forum who can clear it up.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:19 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use AARP for discounts, nothing else.............

Old 11-30-2010, 05:10 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

Well, who ever reads all the way thru, word for word, on one of these insurance papers???????

Old 11-30-2010, 05:14 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member

Screw AARP, They are for Gun Control which is denying my rights.