Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Progressive vs Geico

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Machen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using Geico for many years, even overseas,had 2 bikes destroyed being shipped from Germany to Texas, Geico told me to go pick out 2 new bikes, every year I shop for a lower price and can't find one, so I stick with them.

Last edited by Machen; 07-18-2010 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-18-2010, 11:58 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,363 Likes on 5,501 Posts

When it comes to motorcycle insurance one company may be better than another based on your zip code. So one may be best for me were I live but the other better for you even just a few miles away.
Insurance compies spread risk while at the same time tryng to get customers. If you happen to be in the right zip code one a given day you may get a better price.
Shop around.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Hitter11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hivoltg
I currently have Progressive Insurance on mine and my Dad's motorcycles. I just found out that Geico is less expensive for the same coverage, but is Geico Insurance better than Progressive? Should I make the move to save a few bucks, or is Progressive the company to choose?

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated
I'll be honest... I hate Progressive.

I currently have Progressive and everytime I've had to talk to a representative they have been really rude. Also, for some reason, they take away my discounts when they should not be taken away (i.e. accident free). When I inquire they say I was in an accident, even when I wasn't. Then it's a hassle for them to realize they make a mistake.

I'm not sure how Geico is customer service wise, but I'm sure they have to be better than Progressive.

I would make a switch but Progressive is the cheapest by far, for me at least.

Oh well...

Old 07-24-2010, 08:16 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, quite a variance in opinions here with some praising A while others bashing A and vice versa. I have Progressive and a couple weeks ago because of the Allstate commercials decided to call Allstate. I currently pay $537.00 annually with Progressive with 5K in accessory coverage. Allstate wanted double that.

Now it gets interesting. Last Sunday I was caught in the worst storm I may have ever been in but being on the bike certainly contributed to that. I parked under a bridge at more than level, actually leaning more on the left side than if parked on a flat surface. Rain was coming horizontally with wind super strong along with thunder and lightning. I got up as close to the top underside of the bridge as possible to keep from getting even more soaked. All of a sudden the wind shifted from the north (direction I was headed) and came just as strong from the south. As I look from 50 feet away my detachable windshield blew off and as I am trying to hurry down the wet concrete to retrieve it the bike actually blew over.

Next day called Progressive and a short time later an adjuster returned call saying he would be out in a couple days as he had many claims to get to. He showed up and actually picked up on a couple things I had overlooked. Told me he would get back to me next day with an estimate as he had all parts on a database. I told him I already have everything pulled up on my PC but did not matter. Next day I went to where I plan to have it painted and worked on (Indy that does great painting plus wrench) and he picked up on a couple other overlooked issues. I emailed the adjuster with this info and he came back stating he could not locate a couple part #'s already listed so I sent them to him from the list I had ready. Now at this point he said he will have to reinspect additional items which will prolong the check I was told I should receive next week.

Other than a broken right side mirror and cosmetic damage the only other issue is my handlebar bushings seem to have been damaged and I can move the bars up and down a couple inches but still seems safe enough to ride (I hope). I will post again after everything has been said and done to let all know how things turn out.

One thing I learned a few months ago after a call to Progressive was that say my bike were stolen, how would my accessories be covered and I was told I would need receipts. Problem is I had scanned everything onto a PC that since bit the dust so I have taken pictures of everything should this ever become an issue and at least the adjuster gas seen my bike and taken pictures himself. Oh, I lost most of the bogus receipts anyway that are presumably printed with ink that disappears after just a few months. I think this was a James Bond type invention....

Last edited by strtarrow; 07-24-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Phatgal
Intermediate

We have four bikes on Progressive and one was just totaled. Mine actually. My son had a run in with a guardrail on 6/30 coming back from Laconia, NH. He spent four days in the hospital but is doing really well now and can ride again this week...his bike that is ;-)

Progressive has been great so far. They were at my mechanic's garage when they said they would be, they had the check when they said they would, and they called me to check on Tim and to remind us that they would cover $2000 of the hospital bill. We also had the $3000 accessories coverage and he added up what he came up with and it was just over so we lucked out.

So I am happy with them and our outcome thus far.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Phatgal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Panasoffkee
Here is my experience with insurer's. Progressive will quote you a low price to get your business then raise it every renewal. Geico will drop you for any reason or any claim. Allstate and State Farm left many people from Katrina holding the bag, they are famous for non-payment and have the most lawsuites for non-payment. Traveler's is terrible. My son waited two years to get paid for his truck and medical bills and had to give his lawyer 1/3.

Ewww...State Farm. They were going to drop us in '86 because I left my truck in neutral and it backed up and hit some guy's car. Funny thing is, the battery was dead! I left it in neutral after someone came and told me I left my lights on so I went down to try to start it...ya...

Old 08-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Murph918
Advanced

I am currently looking for a bike, I asked around to several insurance companies if they would cover me for a bike built from parts, kit bike, donor bike swapped to another frame (etc). The only company that will cover me is Progressive but that is for liability coverage only. Are other riders able to get their home built bikes fully insured? I see all these adds for custom hard tail frames are these people going with liability only?
BTW Cowpokey your avatar is killing me! WOW

Old 08-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Irish Iron Mike
Stage III
Default Geico/Progressive/State Farm

As a new rider I am very interested in this topic. Picked up an 09 1200C with 17 miles on it. Called all three and checked on-line also. I have 2 cars and my home with Geico and expected them to come in lowest. State Farm beat them by $300 and Progressive by $500. Same coverage on all three. I think the Geico folks entered something wrong. Went with Progressive for now.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 AM
TrentAZ
Stage III
Default Motorcycle Insurance

I have looked at GEICO and Progressive. GEICO is okay, however, when matching Progressive I found that Progressive will cut coverage just to make it appear you are getting a deal. By far the best insurance and price I found, at least in Arizona, is State Farm.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:13 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Progressive for me. A dodge hemi 15oo, a kia optima v-6 sport package and my fat bob- o8. All for 1200 a year. Not too shabby.

Quick Reply: Progressive vs Geico