Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Progressive vs Geico

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 PM
fortygeek
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive gave me decent service

I am about to price insurance on my new (to me) 06 SG. Going to look at Geico, Progressive, and SafeCo, but will go with Progressive if they can come within $100 of the others. Laid down my Royal Star a few years ago on one of Oregon's notorious back roads (moss on road all year long). The bike was in the shop and the claim settled to my satisfaction inside 48 hours.

Just my two cents (well...maybe three).

Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Todd3544
Novice

I went with Geico, almost $800 dollars cheaper than Progressive for the same coverages.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:51 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Both Progressive and Geico will jack up your rates eventually. I've had both on my bike and my pickup and had to drop both because of huge increases in premiums. I have Markel on my bike right now, but I dropped them years ago for a big increase, so we'll see how they do this time.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geico suddenly added my wife's name to my policy. I inquired why and they said "we only write household policies". This is BS because I had my name only on the policy originally with no problem The wife is not licensed and does not ride except as a passenger. I don't want her named on the policy for her protection in the event I have an accident. They agreed to take her name off the policy but are going to charge an additional 22% premium for doing so. I asked why, they said "you are losing your married discount"...I reminded them that I'm still married. They don't care. I intend to go with Progressive at renewal time for less money. Geico is nuts!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:56 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikenator
Geico suddenly added my wife's name to my policy. I inquired why and they said "we only write household policies". This is BS because I had my name only on the policy originally with no problem The wife is not licensed and does not ride except as a passenger. I don't want her named on the policy for her protection in the event I have an accident. They agreed to take her name off the policy but are going to charge an additional 22% premium for doing so. I asked why, they said "you are losing your married discount"...I reminded them that I'm still married. They don't care. I intend to go with Progressive at renewal time for less money. Geico is nuts!
I had that same problem in MA with my independent agent, they said that it was a new rule for all companies that they automatically make everyone on the policy an operator, even if not a primary. I said that my wife is not licensed, how can she be an operator? They said this was a problem since the rule change and I had to fill out paperwork to exclude her, but they did not charge me extra, and I saved $500 by taking her off as an operator. They said that because she was a "new" operator, she would cost more. Again, how can they charge more if they know she will not be operating the bike because she has no license? It is nuts, but hey, at least they are not charging me more because of it, just had to fill out some paperwork.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Panasoffkee
Cruiser

Here is my experience with insurer's. Progressive will quote you a low price to get your business then raise it every renewal. Geico will drop you for any reason or any claim. Allstate and State Farm left many people from Katrina holding the bag, they are famous for non-payment and have the most lawsuites for non-payment. Traveler's is terrible. My son waited two years to get paid for his truck and medical bills and had to give his lawyer 1/3.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never had a bike claim, but I've had car claims with Plymouth Rock and Commerce, and have not had any problems with either.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Bikenator
Club Member

Before I made the final decision, I decided to check Allstate's rates. It's hard to believe, but they stomped both the Gecko and "Flo" by quoting almost 20% cheaper! I am getting much higher coverage for less money than their competitors basic coverage rates. I know, I know...I hope I never need to test their claims department...

Old 06-11-2010, 05:13 PM
McBolt1
3rd Gear
Default Insurance products vary

All insurance is not the same and all insurance is regulated by the State. So what applies in my state (CA) may not be applicable in your state.

Shop coverage first, pricing second. I believe everyone on this post understands the importance of uninsured and underinsured and the med pay. So once you have verified that the company is giving you the quote for the right coverage; ask them how they pay on hit and runs. Bodily injury on hit and runs is picked up under the uninsured; BUT some companies want you to prove that the car that hit you and ran had no insurance...neat trick. Ask about 'Phantom Vehicles" you have to lay your bike down with no vehicle contact to avoid a collision...many will not cover you for bodily injury. But if you have your wits about you, just tell em you clipped the guys bumper.

Saving a ton of money on your premium doesn't do you much good if the policy limits coverage.

One more thing; some guys say they don't buy uninsured/underinsured because they have medical insurance. On uninsured and underinsured you can collect for pain and suffering...but again, verify all of this in your state

Old 06-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have Progressive and they settled extremely quickly on a hit and run accident and wrote me a check for everything that needed paint or replacement. No hassles at all.

Good reminder reading this for me to take time and shop rates and coverages. It's been a while.

Quick Reply: Progressive vs Geico