Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Progressive Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 PM
medinajim
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing but bad experiences with Progressive here. Will never use them for anything again.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:13 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by medinajim
Nothing but bad experiences with Progressive here. Will never use them for anything again.
Be specific. Would really like to know how they let you down.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:04 AM
medinajim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by krusty1
Be specific. Would really like to know how they let you down.
OK. Insured bike with an agent thru Progressive, which "covered up to $3,000 in additional accessory coverage". After talking to agent, decided the accessory coverage wasn't enough, so took out an additional policy for an additional $10,000 of accessory coverage. They weren't the "cheapest" company out there, but I figured with the additional accessory coverage it'd be worth it since most of my accessories are obsolete now and only available thru ebay at very high prices. Now, before they would provide the accessory coverage, they wanted to send someone out to take pics of everything - done. Just before Thanksgiving last year, someone stole every accessory from my bike, which totaled up to around $12,000. After stalling and delaying me for at least a month, the wonderful crooks at Progressive decided they wanted to deny my claim. Then they cancelled my policy. And the pictures they took of the accessories and bike??? Disappeared and claimed they never took any pics. So, no, wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK. Insured bike with an agent thru Progressive, which "covered up to $3,000 in additional accessory coverage". After talking to agent, decided the accessory coverage wasn't enough, so took out an additional policy for an additional $10,000 of accessory coverage. They weren't the "cheapest" company out there, but I figured with the additional accessory coverage it'd be worth it since most of my accessories are obsolete now and only available thru ebay at very high prices. Now, before they would provide the accessory coverage, they wanted to send someone out to take pics of everything - done. Just before Thanksgiving last year, someone stole every accessory from my bike, which totaled up to around $12,000. After stalling and delaying me for at least a month, the wonderful crooks at Progressive decided they wanted to deny my claim. Then they cancelled my policy. And the pictures they took of the accessories and bike??? Disappeared and claimed they never took any pics. So, no, wouldn't recommend them to anybody.
That's shitty treatment. You know, there's an entire industry of attorneys out there that make a good living off suing your insurance carrier for you when they pull stunts like that....and sometimes the carrier is the first to blink once an attorney is involved, because the attorney can recover some pretty substantial damages for himself and the policy holder. I know that's where I'd be heading in such a situation.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 AM
medinajim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by krusty1
That's shitty treatment. You know, there's an entire industry of attorneys out there that make a good living off suing your insurance carrier for you when they pull stunts like that....and sometimes the carrier is the first to blink once an attorney is involved, because the attorney can recover some pretty substantial damages for himself and the policy holder. I know that's where I'd be heading in such a situation.
That's why I'm telling anyone that will listen about their crappy insurance. I've got a few people to drop them as carriers.

I threatened to sue, and the regional manager just laughed and told me to go ahead. I talked to an attorney, and he said that even if I did win, they could just tie up up in court with appeals wasting my time and money. So, basically, that's what they count on, the customer just taking their losses and walking away; knowing that the insurance company has lawyer's on staff to drag these things out.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:07 AM
HD Nuts
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FXDXTSPORT, Glad your kid and his girlfriend weren't hurt seriously. That situation is my, and many others, worst nightmare.

medinajim, that's the first bad reference I've heard about Progressive Insurance. Sorry to hear about it.

I have Progressive on my bike because my main carrier doesn't cover bikes. I was unsure of them when I first signed up, but after I laid my first bike down, they gave me more money than I expected and even gave me advise to make the repairs myself. This was good advise, because they still paid me the money for the labor costs a dealer was going to charge. Gave me dealer costs for parts, arranged to get me the parts at that cost, like I said avoided the labor costs, and Progressive paid me full retail money for the parts (every part that was scratched, dented, or even looked like it was part of the crash). AND, my rates did not go up.

Like them a lot.

Last edited by HD Nuts; 05-21-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: address post'er
Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have everything insured through USAA except my bike. USAA does not insure bikes but they sub-contract to Progressive for that, so I have Progressive through USAA for the bike. I laid mine down due to some gravel last November on a Saturday and had the bike towed to the local dealer. Their adjuster showed up on Monday, looked at the bike and wrote out a check to fix it that day. The bike was fixed much sooner than I was. I can't say enough good things about Progressive.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:36 AM
msg31u
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Progressive

I have nothing but good experiences from Progressive so far. To be honest the $998 difference my old insurance company wanted was the main motivator to change. The $998 was the difference a year to cover pickup, suv, and two motorcycles. For the Harley alone the rate was 50% of the old company's rates. Two years later and the rates have actually gone down a few dollars.
I am making a trip to Alaska next month and went to the office to ask about the road service on my policy. They suggested I add "trip insurance" only $5 a year to my policy and sent me a insurance card good for Canada.

Years ago when my then teenage daughter had an accident, the old insurance company canceled he policy. I bought a policy from Progressive for her for less than the "big" insurance players wanted out there.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:35 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

You have to admit, sounds kind of fishy. Someone stole $12k worth of accessories but left the bike? Did they bring their own tools or borrow yours?
Did they leave the bike in pieces or were they nice enough to put it back together with stock parts? Did the police investigate? Was anyone arrested for the crime? Had to take some time to remove all that stuff, you think there would be some evidence.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:00 AM
medinajim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by piasspj
You have to admit, sounds kind of fishy. Someone stole $12k worth of accessories but left the bike? Did they bring their own tools or borrow yours?
Did they leave the bike in pieces or were they nice enough to put it back together with stock parts? Did the police investigate? Was anyone arrested for the crime? Had to take some time to remove all that stuff, you think there would be some evidence.
I was in the process of moving. Bike was locked in my trailer at a "secured" storage facility. They couldn't get the bike out because I backed it into the parking space so the rear doors wouldn't open. Some accessories were in boxes and some were on the bike. Yes, the police investigated, as did Progressive. Progressive told me that he had been out to that same storage facility at least 4 times that month. When you start adding up obsolete accessories, you start talking a lot of money. And yes, they may have even borrowed my tools, since they took a lot of those, too.

Quick Reply: Progressive Insurance