Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Insurance in British Columbia

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 PM
BCStreetGlide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance in British Columbia

Hey guys, just picked up a 2010 Street Glide and am looking for who people have found is the best place for insurance? I have been quoted almost $2500 a year through ICBC, and with private insurance through BCAA I am looking at around $1700. Are there any better private insurance providers for collision and comprehensive? Thanks for any help.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 AM
TheCanuck
Novice

Welcome to ICBC. I am paying $1743 and $1768 for my FXDC and FLSTF. Your major expense in the quote is ICBC to the tune of over $1200. I miss living in Ontario and only paying $750/ year. At least we get to ride all year here.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:49 AM
kellgore
Novice

I ran with Beacon for all my optional stuff. Saved about $400 over just using ICBC.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ditto Beacon

I use ICBC for the basic and 3rd party liability, Beacon for the rest. I am about $160/month, ('05 RK) insured year round. For what I save using Beacon, it's cheaper insuring for 12 months than ICBC for 8.
That is at a replacement value of $28K. The big diff is that if a accident results in a total loss I see a cheque for $28K, not a cheque for what ICBC decides I can re-buy an 'equivalent' bike for. The key word here, "is what THEY decide is equivalent".
If I don't want to insure year round, I just hand in my plate, pay a 'ripoff' fee to ICBC, and the Beacon portion carries me for the storage.
I think it works out to about $90 for the ICBC portion, 80-ish for the Beacon portion. Beacon includes coverage for riding gear, and has better deductibles to boot.
Beacon was also less $$$ than Megson-Fitzpatrick, who I have also used in the past.
To satisfy Beacon, I gave them copies of all receipts of add-ons I have done to my bike. That legitimized the $28K easy. The number is a bit low, but at least I'd end up with a new bike, or have money to do up a decent used bike.

CN

Old 04-22-2010, 01:52 PM
dbinbc
Cruiser

No choice about using ICBC so just get the bare minimum to make it legal to drive from them, then get the rest of your coverage though Beacon. I put March to November on through ICBC and full year of fire, theft, collision, vandalism etc from Beacon. That way its covered with being stored through the winter and the whole thing ends up costing about half of what it would to get full coverage for a year through our good old gouging ICBC friends.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 PM
BCStreetGlide
Advanced

Thank you very much guys, I will be calling Beacon as soon as she comes out of the crate and the motor is built. Can't wait to be on the road in a couple weeks.