Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Geico Insurance Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I posted a couple of months ago,You need to get Stated Value Insurance.Yes it costs more but you won't have any bullsh?t when you have a claim.I guess all you younger riders must have left home early when you knew all the answers!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Dragon5
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was rearended at a stoplight on my bike by a girl in a camaro. I got the bike towed to the dealership, and called Geico. The Shop gave an estimate of repair, but that was temporary as the adjuster had to do their thing too. The adjuster's amount was more than the shop! They paid to REPLACE everything and just cut a check straight to the shop.

Also, The girl that hit me had no insurance. Geico went to her for re-payment directly, and now they have sent her case to a collections agency. When she pays, I get my deductible back too. Geico was quick and fair. The total damage was $2500. I tried for a new bike, but they wouldn't go for that as the damage was cosmetic, not mechanical, and they replaced, not repaired everything.

Its was nice though, I worked with the dealership and got a bunch of stuff I normally wouldn't be able to afford. New pipes, intake power commander etc. Didn't cost me anything.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I know for a fact that Geico screwed over a couple of really nice Cavemen !

Old 02-08-2010, 01:47 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Read your policy! It is amazing to me how many people buy so many things and do not know what they are buying. On most insurance policies it states that they have the right to decide if a part can be replaced or repaired. If you want only replacement parts used pay for a higher priced policy. As far as how insurance companys place a value on a vehicle NONE of them will give you a quote from NADA or Kelly Blue Book. The objective of all company's is to maximize profits, they do that by taking advantage of the uneducated. There is a process for settling all insurance claims where you and the insurance company cannot come to agreement, it's called binding arbitration. I had to go through it once and it is a time consuming pain in the ***, but in the end I won and got the fair market value for my vehicle. That being said I have had to handle claims from at least 4 different insurnace company's over the years and found Geico the easiest to deal with.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottwilliamson
That being said I have had to handle claims from at least 4 different insurnace company's over the years and found Geico the easiest to deal with.
Friend was a State Farm client and was hit by another State Farm client. He said THAT was a clusterphuck from the get-go to get resolved.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All insurance companies are not alike:

http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/

I find some companies pay claims fairly and quickly, others look for ways to not pay or pay as little as possible. Also see the September issue of Consumer's report about the worst companies for paying claims. Same ones as above except Nationwide is higher up the list.

Last edited by barjbar; 02-08-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:39 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

My son had Progressive when a gray hair turned left into him at an intersection.

It was a 883 R. Progressive paid full MSRP + $300 because the R was hard to locate at any nearby dealer. they paid 100% for all accessories that he added and for the helmet.

They came to his house with the check on Friday. The accident was on Monday. I can't be better than that.

I only have liab. insurance as I feel if the go they go. I have done this for decades and the savings could pay for several losses with out question.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When i traded bikes last month, the geico quote was over double what progressive was. With the exact same plan and deductables. When i called to ask why, they tried to convince me it wasnt the same plan, that theirs was "premium". So i called a local independent insurance agent in town and his exact words were, They are the exact same plan, it would be silly not to go with progressive, and they have better customer service. Its safe to say i am with progressive!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had Farmers' insurance on the Sportster mainly because I have it on the house
and cars. When I traded up to a Dyna, Farmers' TRIPLED my rate for the same
(high) coverage. On the advice of a different Farmers' agent who is also a biker,
I went with Geico who charged me what I had been paying for the Sportster.

I'm going to do some more shopping around, but just getting back to where I was
is a big relief.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:27 PM
oldguyriding
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replys. The person I hit is also insured by Geico. The police report states that she was making an unsafe left turn. Geico acts like they've never dealt with a motorcycle claim before. They are jerking around on paying my Harley dealer for the repairs. And the dealer won't start on the bike until the get the money. And of course I'm caught in the middle. I'm just wondering if this in normal for Geico.

Quick Reply: Geico Insurance Experience