Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

This is discrimination, plain and simple

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:52 PM
wolfehog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Burgman 650 & a Harley Sportster. I'm with Nationwide. The Burgman is $750/year & the Harley is $447/year. I have been told that both are very high even for full coverage, especially the Burgman. I live in Ohio. Nationwide told me that the Burgman is high because it is a scooter and the incidences of accidents are high in this area for that type of vehicle.

Last edited by wolfehog; 02-06-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:54 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfehog
I have a Burgman 650 & a Harley Sportster. I'm with Nationwide. The Burgman is $750/year & the Harley is $447/year. I have been told that both are very high even for full coverage, especially the Burgman. I live in Ohio. Nationwide told me that the Burgman is high because it is a scooter and the incidences of accidents are high in this area for that type of vehicle.

Shop around wolf. We have our cars, home and bikes all with State Farm. Outstanding so far...

Old 02-12-2010, 12:19 AM
ElectraEd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bikes
That may work for some. My region includes all of North Texas, Southeastern Oklahoma, Southwestern Arkansas and Northwestern Louisiana. Unfortunately, I can't afford to move. My house is paid for and I would never afford to live where I would like to move to. I guess I'm stuck here. It doesn't make much sense to move only because of insurance cost. I am just venting.
I live in North Texas and I consider my rates to be reasonable for the area I live in. I had a 2004 Ultra and my rate was 295 yr. I just got a 2010 Ultra and it is 386 for the year.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:57 AM
ChopinRockwooD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"NSCoyote"
got a friend who lives out in the boonies? change the address on your drivers licence and registraion and insurance to a boonies address. when i lived in ontario i hadthe same problem plus if your address was inside of a certain geographical area you needed emissions testing but outside of the geographical area you didnt need it.
I live out in the "boonies" and my bike insurance last year, and house/car insurance are both classified as RURAL. This year my bike insurance has been changed to URBAN???? There is a standard in Ontario for car/house insurance that goes by the second Number of your postal code but for bike/recreational insurance there is no standard so they can rate you in any territory they feel like. My insurance went up $350.00 because of a territory change. Pure bullshit. You hit the nail right on the head Nick. It's " all legalized extortion " I pay more for my bike than both my cars and house together. I can only ride for a maximum of 7-8 months but have to pay for the whole year.

Chop.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as your costs going up the longer you there, the must figure it gives more time for thieves to case you out to steal your ride. That makes no sense to me, but could be other reasons. However you look at it, likes been said, its a racket.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had Progressive until the 13th. No tickets or claims in the last 9 years and they raised my rates almost $100.. Told them I would not be renewing. Found Markel $ 383. a year.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:59 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been riding for almost 40 years without an acccident, traffic ticket or insurance claim. The last ticket I got was in 1985 while driving my 1970 429 Cobra Torino for the last time before it was sold.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:54 PM
digFXDC
1st Gear

comparing rates where you live to somewhere else is plain silly. it's all dependant on your situation, but just remember Insurance is a business. Tell them it is too high and you are going to shop around. Most of the time, they will lower it on the spot. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This will be an unpopular post. The OP should consider the other side of the equation. Should those of us who don't live in high theft/high risk areas have to pay higher premiums to reduce the cost of those who do live in those areas? I feel the same way about home owners insurance. I don't mind that some people want to live in a city built below sea level or in a hurricane zone, but I don't want to help pay their insurance for them.

As for discrimination, discrimination has to do with violations of the civil rights act. So unless your rates are higher because of your gender, race, disability, it ain't discrimination.

Best wishes to the OP for finding a lower rate. I hope you find the lowest rate possible as long as I don't have to help pay for it.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
This will be an unpopular post. The OP should consider the other side of the equation. Should those of us who don't live in high theft/high risk areas have to pay higher premiums to reduce the cost of those who do live in those areas? I feel the same way about home owners insurance. I don't mind that some people want to live in a city built below sea level or in a hurricane zone, but I don't want to help pay their insurance for them.

As for discrimination, discrimination has to do with violations of the civil rights act. So unless your rates are higher because of your gender, race, disability, it ain't discrimination.

Best wishes to the OP for finding a lower rate. I hope you find the lowest rate possible as long as I don't have to help pay for it.

bitchin and moanin isn't going to change a thing. Insurance co.'s work on odds....statistics....and the statistics say odds are you are more likely to make a claim when you live in certain areas. Might as well deal with it....

Quick Reply: This is discrimination, plain and simple