Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Cant belive how much money

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:38 AM
LetItRide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I had the best luck with Progressive. I am 27 and ride a 09 FLHX... Same coverage w Geico was nearly double. Watch some coverages such as "medical payments" if you have decent health insurance you probably don't need that coverage.... there are a few other loop holes. Good Luck!
You might want to verify with your healthcare provider whether or not the coverage applies to injuries sustained while on a motorcycle.

I found out this past January that my health coverage from work (United Healthcare) did not appreciate the fact that hospitals were billing it for injuries to myself and my wife after a car accident.
Luckily, I was able to sic their claims lawyers onto the other party's auto insurance company since they were at fault.

While the auto insurance gladly paid for my totaled car, they were only willing to cough up the $5k in medical coverage we had in our policy.

I personally bit the bullet and bumped up my medical coverages on both 4 and 2 wheeled vehicles after that.

Yeah - it's probably a waste of money in the long run (hopefully) but it sure beats being stuck with a $20k medical bill that no one wants to pay if something does go wrong down the road....

Jim

Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance

LetItRide, checked with my insurance agent about what you posted. And he said a Health care policy is secondary that the auto policy is primary and then the rest should be billed to your health care provider. If you do not have any auto or motorcycle coverage for medical then of course your health care will become primary. Lucky for you you were not at fault and the other guy's insurance should have covered everything. Just adding my .02 back in. LOL

Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 PM
trikerjb
Intermediate

There may be a company that does exclude "auto-related" injuries from a medical policy. You need to find out what your coverage does. The auto will be primary-- paying first-- with the other policy paying after that. And the "other guy's plicy" will pay only up to their policy limit--if they are deemed at fault...

Old 12-12-2009, 01:26 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had Progressive for about 10 years....now covering 4 bikes (my list on this site doesn't include my wife's 2001 650 Yamaha). Though Progressive isn't the cheapest, I've had them completely covering hauling each of the bikes (yes, metrics break too) some major distances (except I haven't had my 2010 FXD long enough to break it yet). One haul was over 450 miles round trip...and another was over 250 miles.

Their tow network was awesome, and the response was fast...even out in the sticks. Though their policy wants to deliver you to the nearest authorized dealer, I each time emphasized the fact that the bike, left outside the dealership on Sunday (my breakdowns always occur on Saturday or Sunday) the dealership wouldn't be open until Tuesday (like most bike shops) and would likely be stripped or stolen....and they'd be responsible for a large loss. Sure, the phone people handling the claim have no idea that metrics aren't likely to get stolen or stripped....but it's a serious possibility for most of their customer base...which is HD...if the bike was left outside for a couple of days in some sh*t hole of a town. So they give in to my demands to be hauled back home.

Now, for you HD owners, getting hauled to the nearest HD dealership is not a bad deal (in fact it's just one of the reasons I added an FXD to the stable) but for a Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, etc there's a pretty good chance, especially out in the wide open spaces of the western US interior, that the nearest dealer 'authorized' to work on whatever metric you own specializes mostly in quads, snowmobiles, chainsaws, or generators manufactured by one of these industrial giants, has probably never worked on your model of motorcycle, and certainly doesn't have the parts you need.
You're definitely gonna be at the back of the line when cousin Bob's well pump needs fixin.

Don't know how other insurance companies might have handled the situation...but Progressive has come through, at least for me, quite well....so, until they prove otherwise I'm sticking with them. And the 2010 FXD only added about $300 a year to my policy (multi-bike discounts no doubt).

Old 12-13-2009, 10:49 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I only put min liab. on my three bikes for about $200 per year with Markel (BikeLine) insurance. Then each December 1 I cancel and start a new policy in April 15. that saves me just over $80. So I wind up paying about $120/yr for the three bikes.

I am only meeting the min. required by law. I'm am close to a self insurer. If they go they go. If you can afford to lose a bike you can save enough to buy a new bike every 10 - 12 years.

I'm 69 and have done this method on motorcycles since the 70's when liab. was required by law. Until then I didn't carry any insurance on bikes.

I have racked up over 1.7 million accident free miles since I was 16.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:07 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

You're my hero! That's a **** load of accident free miles. I've never had an accident driving or riding in my entire life (42 years on the road)....I really don't know how many miles I've covered;....wish I'd kept track! I don't know how progressive would handle a claim....though I know a few people who have had good experiences with them after accidents.

In Washington state no liaility insurance is required on motorcycles....but you'd be a damned fool to ride without it....because some sleaze-ball of an attorney could take everything you've worked for all your life....even in a state that had a financial asset boundary that constituted being self-insured.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:58 PM
bulfirmas
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in PA too (SW). Haven't heard anything about rates going up (atleast not yet anyways). I have Victoria insurance. I had Victoria for the past year or so and recently shopped around when I picked up my SG. I looked at Progressive and Geico and Victoria was significantly less $$. PM if you're interested and i'll send you my agent's contact info.

Last edited by bulfirmas; 12-15-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:34 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Default insurance

bulfirmas, you might try Erie insurance if available in your area. When I lived in PA the were the best coverage for the price than any others. I had one claim and it was handled unbelievably fast and NO rate increase either.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
roofgunner
Cruiser
Angry I'm changing my Insurance

I have insurance through AARP Foremost for the bikes and AARP Hartford for the house and cars. I'm so disgusted with Obama and AARP and their healthcare I decided to investigate USAA which has just opened up coverage for veterans, not just active duty people. USAA can give me much better rates on the house, a little more expensive on the cars, and they run their cycle insurance through Progressive. However, I called Harley-Davidson and they act as brokers for a number of companies. It appears for me SAFECO can do both bikes for about $420 a year that being full coverage on the Softail and liability on the 90 ZX-11. This includes roadside assistence. Instead of AAA in think I'll use my HOG membership and upgrade so the cars are covered for the assistence. But shop around. I even got rid of my Bank America card because they supported ACoRN and now I have the Harley card and I get something for using it that benefits me not a bunch of crooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 03:38 PM
holdenwarrick
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Florida does have a much higher accident rate than Illinois. Feel free to blame the high senior citizen rate (love you grandma). If you already have car insurance try AllState Insurance. This is a good company to go with. They also have a fun web-site with a lot of info.

Holden

Last edited by holdenwarrick; 12-18-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Cant belive how much money