Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Dumb Question - Retroactive Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Question - Retroactive Insurance?

Ok - dumb question here - so please save the slams about being stupid for riding without insurance, etc etc.

I purchased a bike earlier this year; took some time before the title made its way to me (payoff involved) & I couldn't resist taking it for a "few" rides...welp, one evening, around dusk, I got pulled over. Seems water got into the tail light housing, & when the bulb got wet - it cracked - and I didn't notice - but the cop did!

Since I didn't have the title yet, I had put on a plate from a bike I recently sold. So he gave me a ticket for fictitious plates. Fair enough - could've been worse. No points, no impound, no ticket for the light going out, etc.

HOWEVER, he didn't check the box for proof of insurance being shown, because, well, it wasn't. I fully intended on getting the bike titled, registered & insured once I received the title.

Paid my fine, however, the state is now asking for proof of insurance.

I didn't even bother to think I could've insured it prior to getting it titled/registered, and still aren't sure if I could've anyway.

So - I'm about to face a nice license suspension & reinstatement fee if I don't provide proof of insurance.

Any ideas on how to get through this?

I already tried to submit my car insurance card, but that didn't float. They say they want proof of insurance for the license plate listed (even though they have the wrong plate listed & the infraction i got cited for was fictitious plates).

Ohio code (ORC 4509.101) states:
No person shall operate, or permit the operation of, a motor vehicle in this state, unless proof of financial responsibility is maintained continuously throughout the registration period with respect to that vehicle, or, in the case of a driver who is not the owner, with respect to that driver’s operation of that vehicle.

I'm tempted to send a letter showing the above & saying that because the vehicle wasn't registered, I shouldn't have to provide proof of insurance. I doubt that will work, but worth a shot I suppose.

And I imagine there is no such thing as "retroactive insurance" either, huh? I don't even know if that'd be legal. It's not like I want to make a claim on it - just need to show the effective dates covering the date of my infraction.

Figured I'd just toss it out there & see if anyone had any advice, otherwise, I'll just have to take my lumps...

Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

submit your current insurance card with an explanation about the other plate or didnt you have insurance on the old bike that shows that plate try submitting that other than that take your lumps you are not going to find an insurance company to back date a policy its illegal

Old 09-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just submit your current card, they want to see you NOW have insurance not back then cause obviously, you didn't. I don't see the big deal here.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:30 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by sknyfats
Ok - dumb question here - so please save the slams about being stupid for riding without insurance, etc etc.

I purchased a bike earlier this year; took some time before the title made its way to me (payoff involved) & I couldn't resist taking it for a "few" rides...welp, one evening, around dusk, I got pulled over. Seems water got into the tail light housing, & when the bulb got wet - it cracked - and I didn't notice - but the cop did!

Since I didn't have the title yet, I had put on a plate from a bike I recently sold. So he gave me a ticket for fictitious plates. Fair enough - could've been worse. No points, no impound, no ticket for the light going out, etc.

HOWEVER, he didn't check the box for proof of insurance being shown, because, well, it wasn't. I fully intended on getting the bike titled, registered & insured once I received the title.

Paid my fine, however, the state is now asking for proof of insurance.

I didn't even bother to think I could've insured it prior to getting it titled/registered, and still aren't sure if I could've anyway.

So - I'm about to face a nice license suspension & reinstatement fee if I don't provide proof of insurance.

Any ideas on how to get through this?

I already tried to submit my car insurance card, but that didn't float. They say they want proof of insurance for the license plate listed (even though they have the wrong plate listed & the infraction i got cited for was fictitious plates).

Ohio code (ORC 4509.101) states:
No person shall operate, or permit the operation of, a motor vehicle in this state, unless proof of financial responsibility is maintained continuously throughout the registration period with respect to that vehicle, or, in the case of a driver who is not the owner, with respect to that driver’s operation of that vehicle.

I'm tempted to send a letter showing the above & saying that because the vehicle wasn't registered, I shouldn't have to provide proof of insurance. I doubt that will work, but worth a shot I suppose.

And I imagine there is no such thing as "retroactive insurance" either, huh? I don't even know if that'd be legal. It's not like I want to make a claim on it - just need to show the effective dates covering the date of my infraction.

Figured I'd just toss it out there & see if anyone had any advice, otherwise, I'll just have to take my lumps...
yes u could have insured it prior no matter what, seems to be alot of confusion on your part........about how things work

Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna07custom
submit your current insurance card with an explanation about the other plate or didnt you have insurance on the old bike that shows that plate try submitting that other than that take your lumps you are not going to find an insurance company to back date a policy its illegal
Yep.

While they do want you to have insurance NOW, it has no bearing on the incident at hand. You got off lucky. In CT, IIRC, they recently changed the law and having a plate on a vehicle that does not belong to said vehicle is now a felony.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
MrDad2U
Advanced

Guess what - an insurance company is willing to retroactively sell you insurance from the date of purchase or use - so long as there are no claims for damage. Explain to the agent and they will charge you from any day you want! Good luck. At least this is the way it is in California, but you know, we're different from most states anyway!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 PM
skicapwhi
Stage I
Default Thanks

They are really very cool, very wonderful
Great work .. really informative .. and thanks a lot for sharing ..
Glad it works as expected for you
looking good

Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 AM
OsoFat
Cruiser

Sense you weren't cited for no insurance, it probably won't affect your fines, license, etc. Trying to put one over on the court could add to your trouble. Get the bike registered and insured. In Texas, no vehicle insurance means a trip on the tow truck.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:08 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure where you are but I'm an insurance agent in Indiana. If it was a few days you might be able to find an agent to backdate the coverage with a no loss letter but it's doubtful. In Indiana you have to submit proof of insurance after any ticket or accident. If you don't your license is suspended and you pay some hefty fines to get it back. It's the states way of punishing you for not having insurance. It does not matter that you didn't have the title. It is illegal to drive/ride without insurance period. Pay your fines and learn your lesson. If you'd of caused an accident you'd of been in a much larger world of hurt. Be thankful it was only a ticket and a fine.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 PM
The economy sucks
Stage I

I was just thinking, this economy sucks. We are getting gouged by the energy companies. Food is going thru the roof and my pay check isn't getting any bigger, not to mention I work 2 jobs 60 hours a week. Nothing pisses me off more then paying a large amount of money for insurance I've never used because people can't pay attention when they drive!!! Really has every businessman lost their mind? For once I would like a bank, grocer, energy dept, farmer anyone say...I make enough money to live comfortably. Let me lower my prices so that I can make a difference.

Quick Reply: Dumb Question - Retroactive Insurance?