Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Dumb Question - Retroactive Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Sigjumper
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few thoughts here.

1. Possibly the fact that you currently hold insurance will save you, unfortunately, I don't believe that to be the case. The State has issued a "show cause" that you had insurance at the time of the traffic stop.

2. Progressive is an agency that will predate insurance coverage, but you must pay the monthly premiums back to that date- if your premium is $100 (not a realistic number, but easy to work with for explanation) and you're 90 days past the infraction, paying $300 should do the trick, since there is no ins claim... obviously, the sooner you act to remeediate, the better things could go.

3. Most insurance policies cover you not just for the vehicles you own and operate, but the vehicles others own but you operate. Meaning, if I let you drive my car and you crash it- YOUR insurance will cover the damages. If the sale wasn't finalized, the vehicle didn't technically belong to you at that time. That being the case, you were in fact covered by your primary insurance policy.

Basically, you know the cold hard truth- You are in a very tough spot- you were negligent if not overtly, by circumstance. If you can use any of the three responses above to your benefit, I would suggest that. You are going to have to do a little research (google time!!!) and I would strongly suggest hiring a lawyer. Think about it, what exposes you to more risk- paying a few hundered dollars to get back paid insurance or lawyers fees or spending 12 months on a suspended license (and honestly- tell me you wouldn't drive on a suspended license!?!?!?) Point is, spend the time, money and effort to be good on the front end rather than having to worry about a random sobriety check point or some random jackass hitting you from behind, etc...

I feel for you, crap happens and we've all been blinded by our foolishness at one time or another. Take that not as a blast but rather an admission of equal guilt. Please, let us know how this thing starts to go for you in the next few days and through duration.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigjumper
A few thoughts here.

1. Possibly the fact that you currently hold insurance will save you, unfortunately, I don't believe that to be the case. The State has issued a "show cause" that you had insurance at the time of the traffic stop.

2. Progressive is an agency that will predate insurance coverage, but you must pay the monthly premiums back to that date- if your premium is $100 (not a realistic number, but easy to work with for explanation) and you're 90 days past the infraction, paying $300 should do the trick, since there is no ins claim... obviously, the sooner you act to remeediate, the better things could go.

3. Most insurance policies cover you not just for the vehicles you own and operate, but the vehicles others own but you operate. Meaning, if I let you drive my car and you crash it- YOUR insurance will cover the damages. If the sale wasn't finalized, the vehicle didn't technically belong to you at that time. That being the case, you were in fact covered by your primary insurance policy.

Basically, you know the cold hard truth- You are in a very tough spot- you were negligent if not overtly, by circumstance. If you can use any of the three responses above to your benefit, I would suggest that. You are going to have to do a little research (google time!!!) and I would strongly suggest hiring a lawyer. Think about it, what exposes you to more risk- paying a few hundered dollars to get back paid insurance or lawyers fees or spending 12 months on a suspended license (and honestly- tell me you wouldn't drive on a suspended license!?!?!?) Point is, spend the time, money and effort to be good on the front end rather than having to worry about a random sobriety check point or some random jackass hitting you from behind, etc...

I feel for you, crap happens and we've all been blinded by our foolishness at one time or another. Take that not as a blast but rather an admission of equal guilt. Please, let us know how this thing starts to go for you in the next few days and through duration.

Actually your sort of wrong on number 3. Your insurance is secondary when you're operating a vehicle that you don't own, the owners policy is primary. So basically if you loan your car to someone and they hit someone your policy is going to pay and most companies will raise your rate for the claim. The reason I used a car as an example is that most companies will not cover a claim on a bike unless the insured is involved on the listed vehicle; cars usually have a "permitted driver" clause.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 AM
hotshoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I read your situation correctly, the BMV is wanting proof of ins. coverage for the tag you had on your bike. That tag number is used to match up with a VIN# for a bike that was registered with the state. If you had coverage for your prior bike it was issued by your ins. carrier based on a VIN# not a tag number. If that policy was still in force you could supply policy info that matches the two elements. My guess is that there was no ins. coverage still in force on your prior bike so with a no loss letter to your prior company you may be able to get coverage back dated with the payment of owed premiums.

Look at the citation you received and determine if your current bikes VIN# has been noted. If so, and the state cross references the two, you will still be in a mess.

Best bet I believe is to pay the fines and take the suspension and move on.