Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Medical

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:39 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Medical

What does the medical coverage on you motorcycle policy cover? In Virginia, it is an optional coverage. I was told if I have medical coverage thru work or any other place, I don't need this. Wasn't sure if this is correct.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't know the answer to your question but be patient. You are the first member to post on a brand new forum here. Most of the members have not even discovered it yet.

Terry

Old 02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact question, and the medical coverage on my motorcycle policy was really jacking up my premium...so I went on a mission with my medical insurance co. with my employer. I work for a national company so it took quite a long time to get an answer (lots of red tape). But when it was all sorted out, I saved the emails to cover my butt if there was ever a problem. The bottom line was that I was covered by my regular medical insurance and didn't need the additional coverage. Most states have a mandetory PIP (personal injury protetion) for auto insurance, but motorcycle insurance does not (in MA anyway). This additional coverage that you pay for is similar to the PIP.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Oldguysg08
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Medical Coverage

I have medical coverage to cover passenger since not all insurances "fine print" covers the passenger in the fine print of the other coverage.

Also depending on your current medical coverage at work this would be supplemental which we all know if you have the unfortunate happen to you the medical coverage at work may have a limit and the supplemental would then kick in.

To me don't want to take the chance I would have to sell my "paid off" home for medical bills for myself, passenger and/or a not so smart pedestrian that may step off a curb.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:58 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your medical coverage , or PIP, is for you and your passenger (most times, check with your agent). If does not cover other people you may hurt in an at fault accident (that is Bodily Injury coverage).

Not eveyone needs/wants PIP medical coverage. It is optional in most states now.

The intent of this coverage is to prevent lawsuits against indiviuals and uninsured motorists.

This coverage provides some limited medical coverage within a network of providers up to a stated limit and with a stated deductible.

This coverage kicks in if you are at fault of not.

The pros and cons:

Pros:

1. You can use the PIP medical to cover ambulance rides, deductibles on your work health insurance and other items that the work insurance may not cover or have a % cap on.

2. If you are injured and the other person is at fault, it may be months or years before their insurance company admits liability and pays your bills. By then you may be bankrupt or in very bad credit standing. The PIP medical will help pay for your bills until the other party pays.

3. You can use the funds available to help document and building your liability case against the at fault driver's insurance company, saving money out of pocket expenses on doctors and experts.

4. PIP Medical claims do not usually affect insurance rates, which is a nice side perk.

Cons:

1. It's expensive, but relative compared to work health insurance. It has become an optional coverage because when states required you to get it, people could not afford insurance.

2. Most of the PIP medical networks suck. The are akin to a bad HMO in many cases, but it's better than nothing. Often they are subsidised through an actual HMO, so you will need to go through the referal process for experts, etc.

3. Limits - Often the limits on these are $5k-$15k per person (rider and passenger). In many cases, that is just enough for an ambulance and 2 days in the hospital. But it's better than owning that money out of pocket.

I personally have PIP medical for me and my passengers on bike and cars at $10k per person with a $1k deductible.

My work medical has an annual deductble of $2k for the family and then pays 80% on most things.

Which means if I am injured, I am pretty much 100% covered through these two insurance's up to $50k per person, and 80% after that.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

Last edited by DSnoopy; 02-06-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 AM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Very helpful answers.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Hodado
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like good advice if you stay in one state.You might find that if you needed your medical coverage in another area other than your home state you could be subject to a high deductable 80/20.