Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Markel Insurance raising premiums.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Markel Insurance raising premiums.

Just received my new premium notice and was bumped $18.00 for no reason. No claims , no tickets and bike is another year older. It seems like this is the game insurance companies play. I dropped Progressive after 12 years because they kept bumping my premiums. I then switched to Allstate which started bumping me so I dropped them and went with Markel. I've always felt the insurance companies have a nice little racket. If they pay out more in claims they can recoup there losses by raising everyone's premiums, its a win win situation for them.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:32 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,225 Likes on 706 Posts

In before the move!

I have Markel and they bumped me $10 over last year, and last year they bumped me $11 over the year before!

Insurance companies are "For Profit Organizations." To get a better idea, look at their buildings or complexes. The more profit the bigger the buildings. Pretty soon they expand and create complexes taking up several city blocks.

Last edited by Bonnie Storm; 02-14-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:09 AM
maydaymike
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Our Progressive policy went down $30 this year.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:12 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,299 Likes on 1,703 Posts
Old 02-14-2019, 08:15 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,085 Likes on 12,020 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
I've always felt the insurance companies have a nice little racket. If they pay out more in claims they can recoup there losses by raising everyone's premiums, its a win win situation for them.
Isn't that the business model of insurance companies? Raise rates to recover losses from paying claims?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:30 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Mine went up $13 from Markel. Still cheaper for me than anyone else out there.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:35 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

So if they weren’t for profit, exactly how would they stay in business? Donations?

Everything is for profit or it would t exist.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 AM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I hope you realize every insurance company out there is pretty much going to raise you a little bit annually. 18 bucks is not an increase I would cry about... at least if we're talking annually.

It could be for any number of reasons... "inflation," maybe they have a rate increase across the board for any number of reasons... maybe they think you're getting older and riding skills are diminishing and you're more likely to have an issue... ?

Old 02-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,084 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by slodsm
So if they weren’t for profit, exactly how would they stay in business? Donations?

There are some insurance companies that are "mutuals", meaning the insured/members are effectively stockholders. AAA, State Farm and Liberty Mutual are examples. They are non-for-profit and plow their earnings back into their memberships. Similar to credit unions.

So there are alternatives to for-profit insurance companies, and their rates should be marginally lower.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:10 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

I worked in insurance company home offices for a couple decades- you have no idea how incredibly complicated premium rate calculations are.

And claims costs always rise- Medical Care, Parts, Repair Labor, property damage from liability claim payouts all cause claims to be more expensive over time.

As much as people like to pile on them, Insurance companies are certainly aware of the implications of raising premiums- they do have to compete for business with all the other insurance companies.

Not that many business around that haven't raised prices over time.

Quick Reply: Markel Insurance raising premiums.