Sponsored by:

M8 oil capacity

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 09:40 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

Ahhhh another "Oil" thread.

From my 2019 FLHTCUTG Service Manual:

6. Add an initial volume of engine oil. Refer to Table 1.
Table 1. Initial Oil Fill
ITEM QUANTITY
Engine oil initial fill 3.8 L (4.0 qt)

From my owner's manual:

6. Add an initial volume of engine oil. Refer to Table 1.
Table 1. Initial Oil Fill ITEM QUANTITY Engine oil initial fill 3.8 L (4.0 qt)
  1. Verify proper oil level. See Maintenance and Lubrication → Check Engine Oil Level.
  2. Perform engine oil level cold check.
  3. Start engine and carefully check for oil leaks around drain plug and oil filter.
  4. Perform engine oil level hot check.
Oil Level Cold Check
NOTE
Oil level on a cold engine should never be above the midway point.
  1. For pre-ride inspection, park vehicle on level ground.
  2. See Figure 1. Remove filler plug/dipstick. Wipe off the dipstick. Insert the dipstick and tighten into the fill spout.
  3. See Figure 2. Remove filler plug/dipstick. Using the gauge marked FULL HOT VEHICLE UPRIGHT on the dipstick, verify the oil level. The correct oil level should register midway (2) between the ADD QT and FULL HOT marks on the dipstick.
  4. If oil level is at or below the ADD QT mark, add only enough oil to bring the level to the ADD QT mark.
  5. Start and idle engine for two minutes. Turn off engine.
  6. Check oil level. Add only enough to bring level midway between the ADD QT (1) and FULL HOT (3).

Oil Level Hot Check
NOTICE
Do not allow hot oil level to fall below Add/Fill mark on dipstick. Doing so can result in equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction. (00189a)
NOTE
  • The engine requires a longer warm-up period in colder weather.
  • Perform engine oil level hot check only when engine is at normal operating temperature.
  1. Run motorcycle until engine oil is at normal operating temperature (93.4 °C (200 °F) or higher).
  2. Park vehicle on level ground. Allow engine to idle for 1-2 minutes. Turn off engine.
  3. See Figure 1. Remove filler plug/dipstick and wipe off the dipstick. Insert the dipstick and tighten into the fill spout.
  4. See Figure 2. Remove filler plug/dipstick. Using the gauge marked FULL HOT VEHICLE UPRIGHT on the dipstick, verify the oil level. The level should be between the ADD QT (1) and FULL HOT (3) marks. Add oil as necessary to bring the level to the FULL HOT mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill.
Your attention is again invited to post #2
What does your owner's' manual say? It is a good place to look for this kind of information.
The 117 engine might be different; however, it is always a good thing to follow the owner's manual for your specific motorcycle.

NOTE:
The above information, while credible, is worth what you paid for it and should not be considered gospel.
Do due diligence, research and have a H-D Field Service Manual before working on your bike.
You will probably have many opinions and suggestions presented; make sure you research the person providing the helpful information as there are some who provide good information that is useful and some who speak out of other orifices with gibberish. You will figure out this quickly.

Old Yesterday | 09:50 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
initial fill for changes and capacity are two different things
And which, pray tell, do you think he wanted to know??

Fer cryin out loud.

I remember posting here two M-8s ago when I had a pinging issue four years ago on a 2020 107, and you would perpetually post...

“I have 50,000 trouble free miles on mine and it never does that.”

Be less of a contrarian, and more intuitive.

The membership thanks you.

Old Yesterday | 09:55 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gonemad
And which, pray tell, do you think he wanted .
Everything he, you or anybody needs to know about this elementary topic has always been in the owners manuals. I truly is that simple

Old Yesterday | 10:03 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Everything he, you or anybody needs to know about this elementary topic has always been in the owners manuals. I truly is that simple
We can do this all night.

The owner’s manual doesn’t answer the OP’s implied question.

It only specifies “initial fill”.

I answered it.

Old Yesterday | 10:10 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gonemad
We can do this all night.

The owner’s manual doesn’t answer the OP’s implied question.

It only specifies “initial fill”.

I answered it.
bs, the OM tells us how to go about changing oil in detail, period, I give up. I now understand how you came up with your profile name, good grief it really is rocket science for some I see

Old Yesterday | 10:16 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

I love oil threads.

The following 3 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
CoolBreeze3646 (Today), Spook13 (Today), Steelie68 (Today)
Old Yesterday | 10:18 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I don't get it..owned 5 M8s now over 200,000 miles of DIY oil changes..it's no mystery, or rocket surgery, just follow simple oil change instructions from the OMs is all anyone needs
I'm wondering what varies so much that even Harley cannot tell you the oil volume.

The following users liked this post:
gonemad (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 10:24 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I'm wondering what varies so much that even Harley cannot tell you the oil volume.
what do you mean by “volume”, capacity I’m guessing, which is in Specifications section so yes, they do tell us volume of each and every model.. what’s painful about this stupid thread is there is nothing in the OPs post that cannot be determined, found and answered by the manufacturer in their provided documentation.

Old Yesterday | 10:26 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
My conclusion is that the measurable capacity of the dry sump M-8 is much like the mood of my 3 year old granddaughter.

It depends on which day you want to know,

Old Yesterday | 10:29 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

what do you mean by “volume”, capacity I’m guessing, which is in Specifications section so yes, they do tell us volume of each and every model.. what’s painful about this stupid thread is there is nothing in the OPs post that cannot be determined, found and answered by the manufacturer in their provided documentation.
Printed specifications, and what can be measured on an M-8 oil dip stick at any time in the space/time continuum are two different things.

Quick Reply: M8 oil capacity