Sponsored by:

Longer M8 oil filter

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 365 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Longer M8 oil filter

I can't find a after market M8 oil filter like the stock longer ones. I can find the shorter TC filters all over the place. I know the shorter ones will work, but I like the longer ones that come on M8s. The listed dimensions are all over the place. Setting flat to the tip my M8 measures 4 in, with no nut on the end. My TC , same position is 3.5". My dealer is over $19 now, most after market average about $15, some with magnets. K&N,,,, Drag Specialty,,,
S&S. I have 3 Harleys, $4 or 5 a piece adds up fast.
If you just want to call me a cheapskate go ahead , I can take it. Just seems like after 8 years the longer ones would be easy to find.

The following users liked this post:
Mongo1958 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,308 Likes on 6,747 Posts

There is nothing wrong trying to save a few bucks.

The following 2 users liked this post by 470004:
Tom H (Yesterday), twoglides13 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,368 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I can't find a after market M8 oil filter like the stock longer ones. I can find the shorter TC filters all over the place. I know the shorter ones will work, but I like the longer ones that come on M8s. The listed dimensions are all over the place. Setting flat to the tip my M8 measures 4 in, with no nut on the end. My TC , same position is 3.5". My dealer is over $19 now, most after market average about $15, some with magnets. K&N,,,, Drag Specialty,,,
S&S. I have 3 Harleys, $4 or 5 a piece adds up fast.
If you just want to call me a cheapskate go ahead , I can take it. Just seems like after 8 years the longer ones would be easy to find.
cheapskate

HD offers Rewards point for every purchase made at dealerships or their online store..I accumulate enough to almost always pay for my DIY oil changes .. all you have to do is load with their mobile app .. I hate the thought of adding mobile apps to my phone and HD is the only one I have because it's the only one of any value to me...but it is simple, convenient and reduces the cost of ownership somewhat .. our dealership also gives HOG Chapter members 10% discounts on parts, apparel and service, oil filters are $16 before discounts so yeah, your dealer is price gouging .. so for some of us there is no need to buy stuff elsewhere

edit: forget about the Ride 365 miles Rewards also, which I get the max of $150 Rewards for simply reporting odometer readings periodically

Last edited by mjwebb; Yesterday at 10:44 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I use the FLO steelmesh permanent filter for my bike. They make a longer version of it IIRC. But PCS4B will fit harleys and it has more than enough capacity for 5000 miles. Being able to just wash it and put it back on is so nice. It spins off with an 11/16th socket. easy.
Wont be going back to disposables.

The following 2 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
DK Custom (Yesterday), Goose_NC (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,232 Likes on 2,464 Posts

I have not purchased an oil filter in hundreds of thousands of miles of riding. I use a Permanent, Performance Oil Filter.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Sparkules
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 98 Posts

You won’t like that Harley filter if you take a close look inside. There have been numerous complaints about incomplete louvers in the core, this now includes me. I went to a HiFloFiltro HF171BRC the core has holes not poorly formed louvers. Longer length won’t help if the oil is restricted by the core.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,889 Likes on 11,608 Posts

You haven’t seen an expensive oil filter until you’ve paid $60 for an OEM one for a Jaguar…and it’s just the filter element…and it’s made in China!!!!

GPHDXLC (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,812 Likes on 2,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkules
You won’t like that Harley filter if you take a close look inside.
I wonder if they fixed that issue yet? These pics are from back when the problem with Harley filters was first discovered.

Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 708 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkules
You won’t like that Harley filter if you take a close look inside. There have been numerous complaints about incomplete louvers in the core, this now includes me. I went to a HiFloFiltro HF171BRC the core has holes not poorly formed louvers. Longer length won’t help if the oil is restricted by the core.
It looks like Harley has changed the filters since the perforation issues. I also had one that was very poorly formed, but last week I asked the parts about the long filters and he grabbed one to show mw. The box is different and this one has round holes rather than pleats. I bought it.

I am like MJWebb. Use the HD card for most stuff, pay it off every month so no interest, and haven't paid for basic service items in probably 5 years now.

mjwebb (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Anyone havea a picture of a new filter and how it is different? I purchased several of the long filters not long after they came out, but don't want to use them if they are the problematic ones. And I'm due for an oil change by time.

Paul

Quick Reply: Longer M8 oil filter