Sponsored by:

Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 07:01 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
I have been a professional aircraft mechanic since 1974, I have taken a lot of oil samples for oil analysis, but I have never considered having oil analysis done on any engine I have owned, and I have never known anyone whose engine was saved by an oil sample.

Throwing away about 800 bucks over 100k miles.

Just change the oil every 5K and you will be fine.
Agree with you to a certain point, I don't sample gas engines and light duty vehicle in our fleet, doesn't seem to be cost effective for what it is.

As far as the bold statement I disagree, we have caught many EGR coolers failing by high sodium and potassium numbers without a positive coolant contamination, have caught water pump seals leaking into crankcase, fuel dilution breaking down the oil in engines alone. Not to mention transmission and hydraulic coolers starting to leak and dirt and water contamination of final drives. Watching particle count on hydraulic/hydrostatic systems and transmissions gives a good indication of wear and fluid condition

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
I am very **** about the sample collection process and make sure I rinse the bottle multiple times with the sample oil as it is draining. Crack the drain open, let oil come out, get some in sample bottle, shake it, dump it, repeat a couple times. Even though bottles ares sealed, they can still be dirty. And concentrations of contaminants can sit in the pan at the drain and you don’t want to collect those because they are not representative of what’s circulating in the oil, so let it drain a little to let those contaminants flush out.
For us sampling at the drain point is a last resort, most modern equipment have sample ports where you can get your sample from the lube circuit, if that's not available then we have an extraction "gun" that pull the oil right into the bottle, sampling at the drain point gives the best chance for contamination and error

Old 07-10-2024, 08:19 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,369 Likes on 4,987 Posts

Wait, I missed this:
Originally Posted by SGWhiskeyFire24
This is the lab results of the Engine and Primary after my 1k service. I am still waiting on the Trans and Coolant samples. I intend to sample at each oil change interval while I own the bike.
The OP says he will have the motor oil, transmission lube, primary lube and coolant analysis done at each oil change interval, that would be 160 dollars...

Over a 100K period that would be $3,200.

That would pay for an extended warranty that would cover the entire bike including tires and wheels...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-10-2024 at 08:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Germansheperd (07-14-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 08:20 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,083 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
For us sampling at the drain point is a last resort, most modern equipment have sample ports where you can get your sample from the lube circuit, if that's not available then we have an extraction "gun" that pull the oil right into the bottle, sampling at the drain point gives the best chance for contamination and error
Absolutely agree. I use the same sampling equipment at work and design our equipment with sampling ports. Just talking about on the bike.

I suppose if we had a clean syringe with clean tubing, we could just pull the sample from the fill holes! Duh... Wasn't thinking about that yesterday.

But that syringe and tubing needs to be CLEAN and never used with different lubricants.