The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Alberta Dyno Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 10:33 AM
wjcbsr
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Alberta Dyno Tuners

I live in Edmonton Alberta. I've added a bunch of stuff to my 2020 Fat Boy and now I want to have it properly dyno tuned.

Can anyone recommend a good dyno tuning shop within the area? I tried Welch. They charged me $700+ and I'm not that happy with how the bike runs. I'd like to have someone knowledgeable have a second look at it.

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Gasguzlr (07-14-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 01:32 PM
Beartooth Rider
Supporter

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by wjcbsr
I live in Edmonton Alberta. I've added a bunch of stuff to my 2020 Fat Boy and now I want to have it properly dyno tuned.

Can anyone recommend a good dyno tuning shop within the area? I tried Welch. They charged me $700+ and I'm not that happy with how the bike runs. I'd like to have someone knowledgeable have a second look at it.

Thanks!

Have you talked to the Tech who did the tune, and may I ask what modifications have you made, what were your expectations, and why are you disappointed with the outcome? You might have a parts compatibility issue. I'm just giving the Tech a Welch the benefit of doubt unless you have already eliminated that possibility.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:23 AM
wjcbsr
Tourer

Originally Posted by Beartooth Rider
Have you talked to the Tech who did the tune, and may I ask what modifications have you made, what were your expectations, and why are you disappointed with the outcome? You might have a parts compatibility issue. I'm just giving the Tech a Welch the benefit of doubt unless you have already eliminated that possibility.
SE131 kit, CR-512 cam and TBR exhaust

The bike doesn't seem to be as smooth as before the tune. And the bike stumbles a little when I get on it. Prior to the tune being done I was just using the Powervision Target Tuning with wide-band o2 sensors. I think the target-tune was/is better than the Welch tune.

Gasguzlr (07-14-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Beartooth Rider
Supporter

SE131 kit, CR-512 cam and TBR exhaust

The bike doesn't seem to be as smooth as before the tune. And the bike stumbles a little when I get on it. Prior to the tune being done I was just using the Powervision Target Tuning with wide-band o2 sensors. I think the target-tune was/is better than the Welch tune.
I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment! I know how I would have felt after doing my FM124 build if my bike didn't match my expectations. Your build with the SE131 kit, CR-512 cam and TBR exhaust should be a good build. I think the CR-512 cam is respected as a good choice for that build. I'm assuming you saw dyno results from other SE131 builds with that cam that influenced your choice of cams. If the Welch tune failed to match those results, I think I would go back to Welch show them the data to compare and give them the chance to make it right. If they have a problem with that, I would certainly ensure the next tuner did a base run before any adjustments were made to document a before and after to build a case against Welch. Good luck and let us know how this plays out.

If you can't find another tuner, I would compare the tunes in WinPV then try some small adjustments on my own then start tweaking. What was the source of the original tune?

Old 05-10-2023, 08:57 AM
wjcbsr
Tourer

The original tune was a target-tune base map provided by Dynojet. I target-tuned the snot out of it. Welch managed to only get a couple of horsepower and torque more than that map.
However power numbers were not my main concern. Driveability was my main focus but like I said, I'm not happy with that. I managed to get a new FuelMoto map to target-tune. I'm going to try that out now.

I would still like to find a reputable tuner here in Alberta just to see what they can do for me. It took me a couple years just to get into Welch and I never really had a good feeling about it. They made me feel like I was more of a burden to them than a customer. That was just my experience though.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:21 AM
Cruisin1966
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

The original tune was a target-tune base map provided by Dynojet. I target-tuned the snot out of it. Welch managed to only get a couple of horsepower and torque more than that map.
However power numbers were not my main concern. Driveability was my main focus but like I said, I'm not happy with that. I managed to get a new FuelMoto map to target-tune. I'm going to try that out now.

I would still like to find a reputable tuner here in Alberta just to see what they can do for me. It took me a couple years just to get into Welch and I never really had a good feeling about it. They made me feel like I was more of a burden to them than a customer. That was just my experience though.
Good luck finding anyone here. If you do, please post up. I've given up in this province (and in Canada for the most part), and done what you're doing now until I get the bike to a reputable tuner in the US. Lake Havasu City, Sturgis (sometimes), Texas. Haven't looked lately, but perhaps closer than those. I have a 2022 FLTRKSE with a cam (Star Racing 30/30) to be installed at the end of the month. The PV-3B will be used with the FuelMoto base map along with Autotune until I can get south to have it tuned properly

wjcbsr (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 10:14 AM
Beartooth Rider
Supporter

I managed to get a new Fuel Moto map to target-tune. I'm going to try that out now.
That's great! I was hoping that would be an option for you. Auto Tuning that with the Target Tune should get you pretty close.

Please let me know how that turns out.

Also, I am not familiar with Welch, is that an independent shop in your area?

Old 05-10-2023, 10:37 PM
cdndiesel
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Myself and quite a few others have had great running, performing engines after getting Ty Troutman at Elev8 Motorsports tune our engines. I know he completely redid the shitty original tune that a different shop did and I paid quite a bit less than you did at Welch. Get in touch with Elev8 Motorsports in Calgary. they are performance Harley guys all the way.

Gasguzlr (07-14-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 08:21 AM
wjcbsr
Tourer

Originally Posted by cdndiesel
Myself and quite a few others have had great running, performing engines after getting Ty Troutman at Elev8 Motorsports tune our engines. I know he completely redid the shitty original tune that a different shop did and I paid quite a bit less than you did at Welch. Get in touch with Elev8 Motorsports in Calgary. they are performance Harley guys all the way.
Thanks. I'll give that a shot!

Old 06-01-2023, 02:45 PM
Cruisin1966
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a tuning session booked for June 8th at Elev8. Can't wait

wjcbsr (06-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Alberta Dyno Tuners