Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reviews of this device for wireless Carplay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2023 | 03:58 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

For those having lockup or freezing issues, I use a carlinkit 4 in my truck, and found in the service menu there are settings that made the unit completely reliable - this was based on broken engrish advice from the Chinese manufacturer. I also had a cplay2air and i gotta say, I think they are all made using the same chipset as the bios menus look identical between the two units! Get into setup and change the following: Start delay 10, video bit rate 2, frame rate 20.

The following users liked this post:
voodoodrug (08-23-2023)
Old 08-28-2023 | 04:17 PM
justinmark79
Intermediate

Did you guys have to do anything special to get it to connect to your radio? I have one that works just fine on my F150 but no matter what i do i cant get wireless carplay to wok on my 22 RGS. It will pair via bluetooth and ask to sync my contacts but the carplay screen asking me to Use Carplay never appears.

Old 08-28-2023 | 04:20 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by justinmark79
Did you guys have to do anything special to get it to connect to your radio? I have one that works just fine on my F150 but no matter what i do i cant get wireless carplay to wok on my 22 RGS. It will pair via bluetooth and ask to sync my contacts but the carplay screen asking me to Use Carplay never appears.
I never used it on a HD, only cars/trucks. However I read that there is a requirement to have a Mic to be able to use CarPlay on a HD - did you try the hack to get around it? Someone makes a dongle that plugs in somewhere to simulate a mic and allow CarPlay to work without one…

Old 08-28-2023 | 04:22 PM
justinmark79
Intermediate

Yes i have the jumper installed so carplay works if i plug my phone into the cable.

Old 08-28-2023 | 04:45 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

The wireless modules connects briefly thru bluetooth, then switches over to wifi to communicate with the module (better data transfer rate than bluetooth)... be sure wifi is not disabled. Also check your wifi networks and see if its listed in there and try to join that network if it doesn't do it automatically and see if it finishes connecting. I use one in my GMC too, and the phone was paired with the truck before I got a wireless module, everyone and then the truck's handsfree and CarPlay have issues with each other over handling phone calls. On my new bike I never paired the phone to the head unit and just put the wireless module on it day one, and it has been really reliable connecting and staying connected.

Old 08-28-2023 | 04:58 PM
justinmark79
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
The wireless modules connects briefly thru bluetooth, then switches over to wifi to communicate with the module (better data transfer rate than bluetooth)... be sure wifi is not disabled. Also check your wifi networks and see if its listed in there and try to join that network if it doesn't do it automatically and see if it finishes connecting. I use one in my GMC too, and the phone was paired with the truck before I got a wireless module, everyone and then the truck's handsfree and CarPlay have issues with each other over handling phone calls. On my new bike I never paired the phone to the head unit and just put the wireless module on it day one, and it has been really reliable connecting and staying connected.

i can get it to connect to wifi. I amaalso able to login to the firmware settings page on the device. Maybe it doesnt like the fact i am not using a whim? I currently have one of the jumpers installed under the fairing.

Old 08-28-2023 | 05:48 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

this is a good point. Make sure your phone isn't connected to the bike bluetooth, only the carplay dongle.

Old 08-28-2023 | 06:17 PM
justinmark79
Intermediate

Yes, i also removed the bike radio from my list of bluetooth devices on my phone as a test and it made no difference. Heck i even removed my wifi network from my phone so it would not interfere with that.

Old 08-29-2023 | 08:06 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Having WHIM or not does not matter. If you can plug your phone into the USB cable and get CarPlay to pop up, you've cleared the first hurdle... now it's just being sure the head unit can see that the module is hooked up (once the phone connects to the module) and that the phone will connect to the module.

The issue is between your phone and the module, or... the head unit is not seeing that the module is hooked up when the phone connects to the module (head unit will think its the phone). Have you given it a few minutes to connect before giving up? It is not instant, and sometimes mine will take a couple minutes.

With the ignition on, and watching you phone's bluetooth connections, do you see the bluetooth make connection with the module on your phone? (may take a couple minutes) Then you should see phone make a wifi connection with the module, and the bluetooth connection won't show connected any longer once that happens. If it is going thru those steps your phone is communicating with the module, next I would be seeing why the head unit isn't seeing the module. (cable connection? IDK)

FWIW, I had a couple CPlay2Air modules, and the one I had in my truck after a year or so started having issues connecting, turned out to be the USB connection had gotten bad, if I put pressure on it just the right way it would connect, otherwise the head unit wouldn't see it was connected. I have no idea why it got like that, it was not messed with and was tucked under the dash and always plugged in, but... "Fixed it" by dinging the metal in just a hair, so when I slid the connection together it was a little snugger.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 08-29-2023 at 08:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cactusred (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023 | 09:23 AM
justinmark79
Intermediate

Having WHIM or not does not matter. If you can plug your phone into the USB cable and get CarPlay to pop up, you've cleared the first hurdle... now it's just being sure the head unit can see that the module is hooked up (once the phone connects to the module) and that the phone will connect to the module.

The issue is between your phone and the module, or... the head unit is not seeing that the module is hooked up when the phone connects to the module (head unit will think its the phone). Have you given it a few minutes to connect before giving up? It is not instant, and sometimes mine will take a couple minutes.

With the ignition on, and watching you phone's bluetooth connections, do you see the bluetooth make connection with the module on your phone? (may take a couple minutes) Then you should see phone make a wifi connection with the module, and the bluetooth connection won't show connected any longer once that happens. If it is going thru those steps your phone is communicating with the module, next I would be seeing why the head unit isn't seeing the module. (cable connection? IDK)

FWIW, I had a couple CPlay2Air modules, and the one I had in my truck after a year or so started having issues connecting, turned out to be the USB connection had gotten bad, if I put pressure on it just the right way it would connect, otherwise the head unit wouldn't see it was connected. I have no idea why it got like that, it was not messed with and was tucked under the dash and always plugged in, but... "Fixed it" by dinging the metal in just a hair, so when I slid the connection together it was a little snugger.

Yes it connects to bluetooth but it never asks me to enable carplay and activate wifi. I can manually connect to the wifi network and even get to the config page via 192.168.2.1. i have tried compatibility mode in the settings and no change. Maybe the usb cable for the radio is finicky.

Quick Reply: Any reviews of this device for wireless Carplay?