Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reviews of this device for wireless Carplay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2022 | 04:10 AM
euchre98
Road Master

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
It can be hit or miss on connection speed with (CPLAY2air) , sometimes it's instantly connected, like how is that possible?!?! and other times 20-25 seconds... acceptable/normal.

If you search the inter webs and get a larger sampling then HD forums ... they ALL have some hiccups. some take time to show up. I'm hooked on wireless
This has been my experience for the most part. It was acting up enough a week ago I got tired of the Sirius app not working via car play that I pulled it out and stuck a usb loaded with MP3s in the bike.

Old 10-21-2022 | 08:03 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Well a week later and the Carlink works perfect on my S10e Android, it never lost connection and wen restarting the bike it connects to the phone in a blink of an eye, happy with it.

Old 08-19-2023 | 07:37 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

connection started getting bad, went from disconnecting occasionally , to a message on the screen , to finally the whole radio started blinking. Ive had the bike for 4 years now, hard to imagine. Gave the usb connections a blast of crc contact cleaner and has never worked so reliably. I got the CAR2play 2 years ago so bike was already 2 years old. Seems that cycling of condensation on the usb contacts had slowly made things go from except-able to worse and I was trying all the suggestions on the web....including buying a different wireless dongle perhaps. WTF why do I have to always figure this stuff out, can't the experts ever give use some usefull advice? Theme of my life.

Blast the usb connections with contact cleaner first.

Old 08-19-2023 | 07:51 PM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for reviving this thread. Just got back from Sturgis last week, used the AutoSky device constantly for 3000 miles of riding, it was rock solid.

Advice for anyone using this device (or any similar) is to keep the firmware updated.

The following users liked this post:
thereal142 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023 | 12:06 PM
thereal142
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Not necessarily needed, depends on what you want to do... if you want the voice input stuff you'll need whim or a wired headset, if you just want "listening" stuff, then no. BUT THIS DOES NOT FIX THE MIC REQUIREMENT OF CarPlay, you can use a jumper or whatever... this won't automatically "fix" that issue/requirement, and you 'll have to solve that first.

Not knowing anything about your setup, in simple terms, if you have CarPlay already working by plugging the phone into the USB, this just eliminates having to plug the phone in to the USB...

My set up is a 2016 RGU with a wired headset system and the GTS head unit. Because I have a programmer that will do it, I am using the original "software hack" so I am able to hook my phone up to the USB and then CarPlay is available with or without a headset (mic). This module just eliminates having to plug the phone into the USB to have CarPlay available, now the head unit "thinks" the phone is plugged into the USB, because the module is, and then the module communicates with the phone by Bluetooth/WIFI. If I want to use the phone or utilize voice commands I can plug in a headset, if not then I can hear the CarPlay stuff thru the speakers.

If people do not have WHIM or a wired headset system on their bike, to get CarPlay to be available for listening stuff, they use the "jumper" to trick the bike into thinking there's a headset (mic) connected. THEN they could install these types of modules to eliminate having to plug the phone into the USB. The only "knock" on the jumper is IF YOU HAVE a wired headset system, you have to unplug the jumper if you want to use the headset, and it you have WHIM the jumper plugs into the same connector as the WHIM module.
What is this hack and/or jumper?? I have a 2022 FLTRK. Do I need the jumper to make the Autosky unit work?

Last edited by thereal142; 08-22-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2023 | 12:25 PM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by thereal142
What is this hack and/or jumper?? I have a 2022 FLTRK. Do I need the jumper to make the Autosky unit work?
Carplay requires a microphone. Android Auto does not.

If you want to use Carplay, and you do NOT want to use a microphone, there are 2 kinds of jumpers. If you have a headset port on your console, you can use this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294204622254, it makes Carplay think you have a microphone. Without Carplay thinking there is a microphone present, Carplay will not work (it wont come up in your screen)

Either of the above are required to enable Carplay to work without a microphone being present.

If you do not have a console port, you'll need a jumper that connects behind your front fairing. That would be this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/25508028483...3ABFBMkPKt5MNi

None of this has anything to do with WIRELESS Carplay or Android Auto. Out of the box Harleys do not support wireless Carplay or Android Auto. You have to be connected to the phone via the USB port. The Autosky product mentioned in this thread (or other similar products) enables WIRELESS Carplay or Android Auto.

The reason I like WIRELESS is because when you are wired, you are charging. Once the phone goes above 85% or so, you are overcharging your phone. Wireless option allows me to manage that.

Clear as mud?

Last edited by Keithhu; 08-22-2023 at 12:29 PM.
thereal142 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023 | 12:30 PM
thereal142
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Carplay requires a microphone. Android Auto does not.

If you want to use Carplay, and you do NOT want to use a microphone, there are 2 kinds of jumpers. If you have a headset port on your console, you can use this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294204622254, it makes Carplay think you have a microphone. Without Carplay thinking there is a microphone present, Carplay will not work (it wont come up in your screen)

If you do not have a console port, you'll need a jumper that connects behind your front fairing. That would be this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/25508028483...3ABFBMkPKt5MNi

None of this has anything to do with wireless Carplay or Android Auto. Out of the box Harleys do not support wireless Carplay or Android Auto. The Autosky product mentioned in this thread (or other similar products) enable WIRELESS Carplay or Android Auto.

Clear as mud?
So, if I don't mind constantly plugging and unplugging my phone from the bike, the jumper alone will give me the same results as the Autosky plus the jumper, correct?

Old 08-22-2023 | 12:33 PM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by thereal142
So, if I don't mind constantly plugging and unplugging my phone from the bike, the jumper alone will give me the same results as the Autosky plus the jumper, correct?
No. The Autosky device is only about WIRELESS Carplay (or Android Auto)

The Jumper is only required for Carplay. The Jumper fools Carplay into thinking there is a microphone present (it wont work at all if it doesnt think there's a microphone present). Android Auto works fine without a microphone. (unless that has changed, which I dont think is the case but I coudl be wrong)

If you have an Android phone, no jumper is needed, but if you want to use AA wirelessly, you need the Autosky device. Otherwise your phone needs to be connected to the USB port.

Last edited by Keithhu; 08-22-2023 at 12:35 PM.
thereal142 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023 | 01:07 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

What Keith said^ by design, to get CarPlay work, you have to 1) have a headset (mic) hooked up, its actually a CarPlay requirement.... and 2) you have to plug your phone into the USB cable. Two different things there.

If you want to plug it into the USB, but don't want to have to use a headset (mic), then a "Jumper" can be used to fool the system into thinking you have a headset (mic) connected (for CarPlay).

If you do not want to have to plug in the iPhone to the USB cable, the AutoSky adapter is so you do not have to plug the phone in to the USB (hence wireless CarPlay adapter).

If you do not want to use a headset (mic) or have to plug the iPhone into the USB, then you use both.

Now to really confuse stuff, in your post #65 the sentence you highlighted of mine, I was talking about a "software hack" that I use instead of the jumper. I have a new 2023 RGL and it is the second bike of my own that I have used this "hack" on. I can do it because I have diagnostic software (Diag4Bike) that can access a setting so I can make CarPlay work with or without a headset (mic) hooked up. But if you do not have access to that type of diagnostic software, then the jumper is the next best thing to use to get CarPlay to work with out a headset (mic) connected. But you will still have to plug the phone into the USB.

Then, if you also don't want to have to plug the phone into the USB, get the AutoSky adapter.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 08-22-2023 at 01:09 PM.
thereal142 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023 | 02:03 PM
thereal142
Road Captain

Thanks for the replies; I think I've got it now. Under-fairing jumper for me....

Quick Reply: Any reviews of this device for wireless Carplay?