Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reviews of this device for wireless Carplay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022 | 11:58 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master

If you want to know more about the device, and the company (LLC) - https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2A6P9-WUA1/

Old 09-29-2022 | 12:07 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I got my 1st long ride this afternoon, looking to see how it holds up. My CPlay usually needs to be reset after an hour or so (black screen). Short term testing on the AutoSky unit has been great, much more responsive than the CPlay. Time will tell!

Old 10-01-2022 | 08:53 PM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Quick update for my unit. It can take a bit to connect, but once it gets combobulated, it seems to work well. I got a chance to buzz around a bit today. Once, for about 20 seconds the music cut in and out, but that was it, it seemed pretty solid.

I also like that it's small.

I never had the CPlay2Air unit, but I see no reason to pay more money for a larger device.

Old 10-01-2022 | 09:50 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

My experience too… I had the Cplay2air unit on my bike, swapped it out with the AutoSky one, it’s every bit as reliable as the other, so far… but it’s just been a couple days. Was out for several hours today with no issues.

Several power cycles and generally it would auto connect quickly. When it was slow it may have been related to turning ignition on and not immediately hitting the starter. The thinking being maybe the head unit started it’s boot cycle when I turned on the ignition, then in middle of that I hit the starter and the stereo basically starts its cycle over… don’t know for sure, just a thought.

Size wise, with the Autosky one I can fit my phone in the glove box with the module mounted in the same place the other one was. The phone wouldn’t fit in there before without being jammed against the module.. not good with the vibration.

anyways, seems like a good module, and at least in the short term, every bit as good, maybe even better.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 10-01-2022 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2022 | 09:53 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Just back from a 12hr venture with the AutoSky unit.

Negatives:
1. Startup, "slower" than Cplay by 15-30 seconds. I can't really explain this one as the carplay screen from the unit comes up almost instantly.
2. A few issues when starting, had to unplug it a couple times for it to connect. One time I had to forget it in Bluetooth, reboot it then re-pair again. Hopefully just a software bug that will be fixed in an update.

Positives:
1. Once it pairs it is flawless, I had a couple 3hr non-stop runs, not a single hiccup. The CPlay would have needed to be rest numerous times.
2. Fast! There was zero lag when changing screens or doing things within Waze.
3. Size! It is 1/4 the size of other units. Love that it plugs right in, also comes with usb-a and usb-c extentions
4. Heat, the CPlay runs rather warm, heat much lower in the AutoSky

Old 10-02-2022 | 10:08 AM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by chopper_man
Just back from a 12hr venture with the AutoSky unit.

Negatives:
1. Startup, "slower" than Cplay by 15-30 seconds. I can't really explain this one as the carplay screen from the unit comes up almost instantly.
2. A few issues when starting, had to unplug it a couple times for it to connect. One time I had to forget it in Bluetooth, reboot it then re-pair again. Hopefully just a software bug that will be fixed in an update.

Positives:
1. Once it pairs it is flawless, I had a couple 3hr non-stop runs, not a single hiccup. The CPlay would have needed to be rest numerous times.
2. Fast! There was zero lag when changing screens or doing things within Waze.
3. Size! It is 1/4 the size of other units. Love that it plugs right in, also comes with usb-a and usb-c extentions
4. Heat, the CPlay runs rather warm, heat much lower in the AutoSky
5. Price.

I too thought it was flaky to connect, so I was fiddling with it, etc, but what I learned is that it sometimes just takes a bit of time to connect. Often you'll get a screen that says something like "you need to connect to the device via bluetooth", which was puzzling because the phone show's its connected, but if you just wait a bit, it will eventually connect.

Old 10-02-2022 | 10:09 AM
propflux01
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

You indicated flawless operation during 3 hour non stop. What about operation when you stop, shut down, gas up or what not, then restart. Any issues?

Old 10-02-2022 | 10:11 AM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by propflux01
You indicated flawless operation during 3 hour non stop. What about operation when you stop, shut down, gas up or what not, then restart. Any issues?
Just patience. If you're like me, when I stop for gas, I just flip to accessory mode, and it never disconnects, or loses the connection when you flip to ignition and start it. Screen goes black for a second when you start it (as it always has), but the connection remains.

Old 10-02-2022 | 10:19 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Do you guys also run the Wireless Headset Interface Module in order to let the Autosky or Cplay2air device work , or is that not needed then ?

Old 10-02-2022 | 11:02 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Not necessarily needed, depends on what you want to do... if you want the voice input stuff you'll need whim or a wired headset, if you just want "listening" stuff, then no. BUT THIS DOES NOT FIX THE MIC REQUIREMENT OF CarPlay, you can use a jumper or whatever... this won't automatically "fix" that issue/requirement, and you 'll have to solve that first.

Not knowing anything about your setup, in simple terms, if you have CarPlay already working by plugging the phone into the USB, this just eliminates having to plug the phone in to the USB...

My set up is a 2016 RGU with a wired headset system and the GTS head unit. Because I have a programmer that will do it, I am using the original "software hack" so I am able to hook my phone up to the USB and then CarPlay is available with or without a headset (mic). This module just eliminates having to plug the phone into the USB to have CarPlay available, now the head unit "thinks" the phone is plugged into the USB, because the module is, and then the module communicates with the phone by Bluetooth/WIFI. If I want to use the phone or utilize voice commands I can plug in a headset, if not then I can hear the CarPlay stuff thru the speakers.

If people do not have WHIM or a wired headset system on their bike, to get CarPlay to be available for listening stuff, they use the "jumper" to trick the bike into thinking there's a headset (mic) connected. THEN they could install these types of modules to eliminate having to plug the phone into the USB. The only "knock" on the jumper is IF YOU HAVE a wired headset system, you have to unplug the jumper if you want to use the headset, and it you have WHIM the jumper plugs into the same connector as the WHIM module.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ssitruc:
dajogejr (10-10-2022), MoneyFor (10-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Any reviews of this device for wireless Carplay?