Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reviews of this device for wireless Carplay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2022 | 01:59 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

@AutoSky will your device support Android Auto on my 2022 SGS ?

Old 09-26-2022 | 11:00 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

OP, FWIW...
I got one of the "Pro" modules, to replace the Cplay2Air module in my truck.. that one started having issues, after doing the updates, with connecting and a bad lag on phone calls (3 second lag)... I think I figured out that its issues were because of a faulty connection with its USB connector being too sloppy of a fit... I'll tighten it up and try it on another vehicle.

But for AutoSky Pro module... I put it in Saturday and so far, it connects quickly every time now (probably driven the truck, and started it a dozen times over the two days and this morning). At first it seemed to take a bit longer, maybe the first two times it would take a minute to connect. But now by the time the splash screen clears automatically on the Kenwood head unit (10 seconds after the head unit is booted up) CarPlay shows up and is available. Everything works as it should, no noticeable lag during phone calls, and sound quality sounds the same as it did with the other module. I did not try it on the HD head unit, because the one I already have on it is working great on it, and I didn't want to "fix it" till I broke it! But that one had more than a half dozen updates that I did to it last Thursday ... which I had to do one at a time, instead of it just updating to the most recent release.

I did update the software on the AutoSky module first thing, there was one. The dialog screen on the phones browser for updating the AutoSky module was very similar to the other module I use, almost exactly the same. On that screen after updating to the latest version of software, I did disable "Enable Tips". To be honest, the dialog screens also on both head units (the HD with Cplay2Air & the Kenwood with AutoSky's) for the "connecting" screen when the head unit has just booted (if you clear the splash screen instead of letting them time out by themselves) looks exactly the same on both too.

To me, "what you see" on both look exactly the same for almost everything. If I have any issue with the module I have on the bike, I'll replace it with the AutoSky Pro module... because they both seem to work the same way, the AutoSky module is noticeably smaller, and its $80 (compared to the Cplay2Air being at $120).

Old 09-26-2022 | 12:38 PM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
OP, FWIW...
I got one of the "Pro" modules, to replace the Cplay2Air module in my truck.. that one started having issues, after doing the updates, with connecting and a bad lag on phone calls (3 second lag)... I think I figured out that its issues were because of a faulty connection with its USB connector being too sloppy of a fit... I'll tighten it up and try it on another vehicle.

But for AutoSky Pro module... I put it in Saturday and so far, it connects quickly every time now (probably driven the truck, and started it a dozen times over the two days and this morning). At first it seemed to take a bit longer, maybe the first two times it would take a minute to connect. But now by the time the splash screen clears automatically on the Kenwood head unit (10 seconds after the head unit is booted up) CarPlay shows up and is available. Everything works as it should, no noticeable lag during phone calls, and sound quality sounds the same as it did with the other module. I did not try it on the HD head unit, because the one I already have on it is working great on it, and I didn't want to "fix it" till I broke it! But that one had more than a half dozen updates that I did to it last Thursday ... which I had to do one at a time, instead of it just updating to the most recent release.

I did update the software on the AutoSky module first thing, there was one. The dialog screen on the phones browser for updating the AutoSky module was very similar to the other module I use, almost exactly the same. On that screen after updating to the latest version of software, I did disable "Enable Tips". To be honest, the dialog screens also on both head units (the HD with Cplay2Air & the Kenwood with AutoSky's) for the "connecting" screen when the head unit has just booted (if you clear the splash screen instead of letting them time out by themselves) looks exactly the same on both too.

To me, "what you see" on both look exactly the same for almost everything. If I have any issue with the module I have on the bike, I'll replace it with the AutoSky Pro module... because they both seem to work the same way, the AutoSky module is noticeably smaller, and its $80 (compared to the Cplay2Air being at $120).
Thanks for the review. Mine comes today, I'm booked on calls the rest of the day and an evening engagement, but will try to get to it the next few days. Not sure I'll get time to ride before the weekend tho.

Old 09-26-2022 | 02:22 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

I got one on the way and I’m going to compare it to the C2PlayAir I currently have vs. this one.
I have saddle time planned Saturday and Sunday this week, so hoping I have it before then to test out fully!

Old 09-26-2022 | 02:27 PM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Just got the package, but I'm busy with work and personal all day. One thing I will say is that this device is the right size - slightly bigger than a USB memory stick. Will almost certainly fit with an iPhone in a Road Glide glove compartment than CPlay2Air would.

Old 09-26-2022 | 02:54 PM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I had a few minutes between calls, so I ran down to the garage and hooked it up. So far so good. I updated the device, and it connects right away, seems to work great.

At this point, the only other requirement is to stay connected for hours, in order to test that I need to get a ride in, that probably wont be until this weekend, assuming the weather holds up.

But so far so good!

The following 4 users liked this post by Keithhu:
AutoSky (09-28-2022), dajogejr (09-26-2022), NorthWestern (09-26-2022), Ssitruc (09-26-2022)
Old 09-28-2022 | 02:43 PM
AutoSky
4th Gear

Deleted.

Last edited by AutoSky; 09-28-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-28-2022 | 02:52 PM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AutoSky
Currently running a giveaway on our Facebook page..
@AutoSkyAmazon on Facebook
@AutoSky be careful, forum rules prohibit vendors from hawking wares unless they are forum sponsors, FYI.

Old 09-28-2022 | 02:54 PM
AutoSky
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Keithhu
@AutoSky be careful, forum rules prohibit vendors from hawking wares unless they are forum sponsors, FYI.
Sorry about that was not aware, deleted it.

Old 09-28-2022 | 02:59 PM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AutoSky
Sorry about that was not aware, deleted it.
@AutoSky They're posted here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/welco...ite-rules.html

Quick Reply: Any reviews of this device for wireless Carplay?