Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reviews of this device for wireless Carplay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2022 | 09:28 AM
jlb2782
Road Captain

Originally Posted by AutoSky
To be honest I have not used CPlay2air, however our product works great on car head units with Wired CarPlay. We have made it compatible with most models. On every car I have personally tried it connects within 15 seconds.

But this is great I would love to try it out with some Harleys and get the log file if it doesn't work so we can make it compatible.

AutoSky

How does the audio quality compare to just being connected bluetooth between the phone and radio?

Old 09-20-2022 | 09:31 AM
AutoSky
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jlb2782
How does the audio quality compare to just being connected bluetooth between the phone and radio?
On OEM cars just the same I've used it on VWs, MBs, Fords, a Maserati, and Audis..

The following users liked this post:
jlb2782 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022 | 10:51 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Hey, Keithhu, Developer for AutoSky here. Can you please send me your info I’ll send one for free for you to try out.
AutoSky
Like others, I too use the CPLAY2Air module (for a little over a year now) because it was seemingly the most stable, but I am wondering what is the "recommended range" of these kind of units, or yours specifically?

I can't believe 6' or less would cause a problem with connecting/reconnecting, but... in my truck the module connects, and stays connected, without fail. The module is about 3' away from where the phone sits and there's nothing to "obstruct" the signal.
On my bike, the module is 3' to 5' away, and the only thing to obstruct the signal is the ABS plastic of the fairing's media pocket's lid, the ABS plastic of the saddle bags or the tour pack... and of course me, if the phone is in the tour pack. It usually connects without any issue, but will occasionally loose connection/reconnect while out riding. FWIW, it also "seems to be" much less frequent now than when it was new, even though I haven't updated anything since it was new.
Could these kind of "quirks" be attributed to distance/obstructions even at less than 6'? or operating temperature? The module gets a little warm in the closed media pocket from the sun, and in the saddle bag, the phone gets pretty warm from the sun and the heat from the motor/exhaust/etc.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 09-20-2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2022 | 11:09 AM
AutoSky
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
AutoSky
Like others, I too use the CPLAY2Air module (for a little over a year now) because it was seemingly the most stable, but I am wondering what is the "recommended range" of these kind of units, or yours specifically?

I can't believe 6' or less would cause a problem with connecting/reconnecting, but... in my truck the module connects, and stays connected, without fail. The module is about 3' away from where the phone sits and there's nothing to "obstruct" the signal.
On my bike, the module is 3' to 5' away, and the only thing to obstruct the signal is the ABS plastic of the fairing's media pocket's lid, the ABS plastic of the saddle bags or the tour pack... and of course me, if the phone is in the tour pack. It usually connects without any issue, but will occasionally loose connection/reconnect while out riding. FWIW, it also "seems to be" much less frequent now than when it was new, even though I haven't updated anything since it was new.
Could these kind of "quirks" be attributed to distance/obstructions even at less than 6'? or operating temperature? The module gets a little warm in the closed media pocket from the sun, and in the saddle bag, the phone gets pretty warm from the sun and the heat from the motor/exhaust/etc.
The signal should not be a problem since they run on WiFi, so it's more likely to be a problem with the cable/connector to the unit which happens sometimes or the operating temperature of the device.

Some reviews with Harleys this is why I want to make it as compatible as I can with the Harleys.

Ssitruc (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022 | 11:49 AM
Keithhu
|
Seasoned HDF Member

One other thing that could make these quirky, is that people do not update their firmware. Sometimes these devices are over a year old, and its a relatively new space, so I'm sure the devices ship with firmware that is not current, and lots of bugs have been fixed since the devices were manufactured. I'm in technology so I have zero issues with navigating to an ip address and updating, but most people are used to apps on their phone, where it just updates automatically, and if you suggest having to navigate to an IP address to check for updates you'd just get a lot of blank stares.

AutoSky

The signal should not be a problem since they run on WiFi, so it's more likely to be a problem with the cable/connector to the unit which happens sometimes or the operating temperature of the device.

Some reviews with Harleys this is why I want to make it as compatible as I can with the Harleys.

dajogejr (09-22-2022)
Old 09-20-2022 | 02:07 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

AutoSky,
What is the difference in the "Pro" model and the other model? The only thing I see in the advertisement is that the Pro has a carbon fiber shell and says its 2.4ghz & 5ghz, whereas the other only mentions 5ghz.

I'll be interested in how it works for you Keith

Old 09-20-2022 | 02:35 PM
propflux01
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

AutoSky,
What is the difference in the "Pro" model and the other model? The only thing I see in the advertisement is that the Pro has a carbon fiber shell and says its 2.4ghz & 5ghz, whereas the other only mentions 5ghz.

myself as well.

Old 09-22-2022 | 03:32 PM
AutoSky
4th Gear

AutoSky,

Originally Posted by propflux01
myself as well.
The difference is software upgrade prioritizing for the Pro and Carbon Fiber finish casing that is on the Pro.

Old 09-23-2022 | 08:52 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior

This guy says it works.

Old 09-23-2022 | 10:47 PM
propflux01
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

I think I'd like to try one of these.

Quick Reply: Any reviews of this device for wireless Carplay?