Sponsored by:

Lifter Failure on M8 at 45k miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2022 | 09:21 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,430 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Mine will have the better cuffs and lifters moving forward. The question now is what lifters.

Thanks
I don't think you can go wrong with S&S Premium. I wish I could talk you into an aftermarket cam, too! Just because i know you would love it.

EDIT: I see "Precision" and "Premium" I thought they were the same, but the description says they replace Premium, anyway, I have these https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-238968...lwaukee-8.html

Last edited by NorthWestern; 08-07-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2022 | 09:25 AM
johndoe297
Road Master
Received 765 Likes on 407 Posts

I by far am no expert either but just to play devil's advocate for a moment, could a small amount of rotation from the plastic cuffs possibly cause the lifter to fail? Thinking about it from a layman's pov it seems like enough of angle on the roller would cause it to fail or at least rotate further. Like I say don't know either way. Just had that though and figured I'd throw it out there.

Old 08-07-2022 | 11:34 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
did you stick with the stock cuffs with your 128 build? Just curious. I did go with the S&s cuffs with my stage 2. When I asked fuel moto about the switch they were honest as usual. They said there are not a lot of reports of stock plastic cuffs failing, but why would you not while your in there. Again they are cheap plastic. The cuffs and plastic intake had to go. Also went with S&s lifters.
No, I did not change the cuffs. They’re not the cause of lifter failure IMO.
If a lifter starts to fail and an aluminum cuff keep it from spinning, it’s still going to fail eventually as no one is checking the condition of their lifters regularly.
I’m going to open another can of worms and say heat and oil break down are why lifters fail. Extreme heat is why the metal starts to flake off of the cam or lifter rollers when the oil viscosity deteriorates allowing parts to touch. It all goes south from there. Use the highest quality oil with the highest thermal properties and stop worrying about lifter cuffs.

Old 08-07-2022 | 12:00 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,651 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
If a lifter starts to fail and an aluminum cuff keep it from spinning, it’s still going to fail eventually as no one is checking the condition of their lifters regularly.
I’m going to open another can of worms and say heat and oil break down are why lifters fail. Extreme heat is why the metal starts to flake off of the cam or lifter rollers when the oil viscosity deteriorates allowing parts to touch. It all goes south from there. Use the highest quality oil with the highest thermal properties and stop worrying about lifter cuffs.
trust me , I don’t worry about anything. Like I said I was just curious. Good luck with your build .

Old 08-07-2022 | 12:34 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,932 Likes on 1,264 Posts

did you stick with the stock cuffs with your 128 build? Just curious. I did go with the S&s cuffs with my stage 2. When I asked fuel moto about the switch they were honest as usual. They said there are not a lot of reports of stock plastic cuffs failing, but why would you not while your in there. Again they are cheap plastic. The cuffs and plastic intake had to go. Also went with S&s lifters.
Originally Posted by scj
I asked Jim (Max Cell cams) who did my fitted pistons if I can keep the stock cuffs, he said because of the .550 lift cam I used, to change the cuffs.

Old 08-07-2022 | 01:20 PM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts

Sucks that it blew up and hope you get it back soon.

Lots of engines use plastic cuffs. Ford/International diesels are a great example. I've seen tons of lifter failures but it always seems to be the roller seizing or dropping needle bearings. When the roller stops turning it no longer matters what direction the lifters are facing, you're getting lots of metal where it doesn't belong

The following users liked this post:
6113_ (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022 | 01:57 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

I think we can all Agee that HD lifters are problematic. Meaning it’s no surprise when they fail prematurely or go on for many miles. Last I knew they were still coming from Mexico. I have always replaced any part on any of my Harley’s that is questionable. If it’s a waist of money, I don’t give a rats a$$

Old 08-07-2022 | 01:58 PM
scj
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldMike
I asked Jim (Max Cell cams) who did my fitted pistons if I can keep the stock cuffs, he said because of the .550 lift cam I used, to change the cuffs.
I would have done the same with that much lift and the spring pressure required. I try to tell myself it shouldn’t be necessary as they should never touch but when you build big, every ounce of prevention helps.

Old 08-07-2022 | 02:09 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by scj
I would have done the same with that much lift and the spring pressure required. I try to tell myself it shouldn’t be necessary as they should never touch but when you build big, every ounce of prevention helps.
so 485 is good for stock cuffs in a 128 fuel moto build but 550 in a 131 replace? Come on.

Old 08-07-2022 | 03:46 PM
scj
Road Warrior

so 485 is good for stock cuffs in a 128 fuel moto build but 550 in a 131 replace? Come on.
I’m running stock heads and stock valve springs. Diameter of the pistons doesn’t effect valve spring pressure.
A stock M8 has 10.5 compression, I’m only at 10.75. I went with the 485 as I’m not using my Ultra as a bar hopper, it’s our low rpm cruiser at that’s how I built it. If I were to build a high horsepower M8, the crank would come out and go to Darkhorse and come back trued, welded and balanced. Yes, I would use S&S lifter cuffs in that scenario plus their oil pump.

If my reasoning doesn’t make sense to you, I don’t care. My bike, my build, my money but there was some thought that went into it. This is only my opinion that I’m sharing but I would like someone to show me a stock lifter cuff that actually broke while using stock M8 heads and springs. A spun, chewed up lifter in a stock cuff from one engine out of tens of thousands sold doesn’t send me off the deep end.

I will say this, if I did not have the knowledge to build my own engines and understand the mechanics for the operations of it, I would not hesitate to tell the builder to install the $60 cuffs but that’s not the point of whether they’re necessary or not.

Last edited by scj; 08-07-2022 at 03:59 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by scj:
Fullbore55 (08-21-2022), MikeTD3 (08-25-2022), mjwebb (08-07-2022), StoneTrekker (08-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Lifter Failure on M8 at 45k miles