Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Failure on M8 at 45k miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022 | 01:06 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,397 Likes on 4,792 Posts

might have been a blessing in disguise..probably prefer the local dealer where he purchased the bike and had the Stage 3 installed handle it..and sounds like has an ESP that should cover some towing along with full coverage insurance which should as well..I'd be inclined to not do any business in the future with the other two dealerships and maybe even send the GMs an email sarcastically appreciating them for going above and beyond to help a HD customer in distress..maybe even cc HD CS in Milwaukee..or something like that..or post a negative experience on their FB pages..sure, technically would have pushed them into after hours but that's the sort of thing occasionally that happens to provide superior service which many dealerships will do

The following 5 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Cosmic Razorback (08-01-2022), johndoe297 (08-01-2022), RGST (09-21-2022), sherob (08-01-2022), Y2K (08-24-2022)
Old 08-01-2022 | 01:29 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 573 Likes on 316 Posts

Certainly makes a compelling case to spring for the ESP. Sorry that happened. Interested to see how it plays out.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022 | 01:33 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,279 Likes on 7,400 Posts

Every dealership is different.

Here's a couple of positive stories:

Crossroads HD in Wilkesboro. Last year a lady rode in and stopped about 5pm on Friday. While riding out of the parking lot she had a clutch failure on a Deluxe. They stayed about an hour and a half over to help her and she told me later they only charged her $75.00. She was not clear what the problem was, but she was thrilled and singing their praises. I later asked Micah at that dealership about this and told him I was impressed when I heard the story. He simply said they try to help everyone they can, especially if traveling.

Orlando Florida: I was riding back from the Everglades about four years ago now with a buddy on his 09 Ultra. If was Friday afternoon at 4pm as we neared Orlando. Our plans were to hit I-4 and roll east and make it to Jacksonville before calling it a day. Suddenly he stripped half the teeth off his drive belt. We got stopped about 15 miles from the dealership. Called them and they were there in 30 minutes to pick him up. Oh yeah, this was Friday before New Years, in Orlando, FL. They arrived and told him they had also taken the liberty to book a hotel room for him next door to the dealership as it was late and they fill up quickly. They got a new belt installed for him Saturday morning and he was back on the road.

Always nice to hear some positive stories.

All dealerships are different. I know they are all short handed and post covid times have changed. As mjwebb mentioned it was better for me to get it back to the selling / installing dealer.

Thanks

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 08-01-2022 at 01:45 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
Brando4905 (08-16-2022), DaFox (08-08-2022), Gizmo83 (08-01-2022), johndoe297 (08-01-2022), Max Headflow (08-03-2022), nobodyknowsme (08-15-2022), Northernproducer (08-03-2022), RGST (09-21-2022), sherob (08-01-2022), Steelie68 (10-09-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-01-2022 | 02:21 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 535 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
might have been a blessing in disguise..probably prefer the local dealer where he purchased the bike and had the Stage 3 installed handle it..and sounds like has an ESP that should cover some towing along with full coverage insurance which should as well..I'd be inclined to not do any business in the future with the other two dealerships and maybe even send the GMs an email sarcastically appreciating them for going above and beyond to help a HD customer in distress..maybe even cc HD CS in Milwaukee..or something like that..or post a negative experience on their FB pages..sure, technically would have pushed them into after hours but that's the sort of thing occasionally that happens to provide superior service which many dealerships will do
GM's probably never knew about it unless he called them directly...I'm sure any GM worth their salt would of gone out of their way to pickup a stranded rider/ disabled bike, if they were aware of the incident.

Steelie68 (10-09-2022)
Old 08-01-2022 | 02:25 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Every dealership is different.

Here's a couple of positive stories:

Crossroads HD in Wilkesboro. Last year a lady rode in and stopped about 5pm on Friday. While riding out of the parking lot she had a clutch failure on a Deluxe. They stayed about an hour and a half over to help her and she told me later they only charged her $75.00. She was not clear what the problem was, but she was thrilled and singing their praises. I later asked Micah at that dealership about this and told him I was impressed when I heard the story. He simply said they try to help everyone they can, especially if traveling.

Orlando Florida: I was riding back from the Everglades about four years ago now with a buddy on his 09 Ultra. If was Friday afternoon at 4pm as we neared Orlando. Our plans were to hit I-4 and roll east and make it to Jacksonville before calling it a day. Suddenly he stripped half the teeth off his drive belt. We got stopped about 15 miles from the dealership. Called them and they were there in 30 minutes to pick him up. Oh yeah, this was Friday before New Years, in Orlando, FL. They arrived and told him they had also taken the liberty to book a hotel room for him next door to the dealership as it was late and they fill up quickly. They got a new belt installed for him Saturday morning and he was back on the road.

Always nice to hear some positive stories.

All dealerships are different. I know they are all short handed and post covid times have changed. As mjwebb mentioned it was better for me to get it back to the selling / installing dealer.

Thanks
Best situation for you....

Old 08-01-2022 | 02:49 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,809 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Sorry to hear it. Hope you get it fixed soon and back on the road.

Old 08-01-2022 | 03:24 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bradsULtd
GM's probably never knew about it unless he called them directly...I'm sure any GM worth their salt would of gone out of their way to pickup a stranded rider/ disabled bike, if they were aware of the incident.
wasn't the point, it's after the fact feedback to let them know about it so they have the opportunity to address staff on perhaps how they would prefer to handle future incidents of this nature

Hawg Runner (08-02-2022)
Old 08-01-2022 | 03:31 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Sorry to hear your situation pal, especially only 25 miles from the dealer and shown no love at closing time. Since you went stage 3, with HD components good on you for the ESP, that will of more than pay for itself with a new updated engine. I think someone had asked about lifter cuff's, since HD did the stage 3, unless you specifically had bought or requested some S/S cuff's, HD doesn't make or install those as part of an upgrade. I don't recall when you do a HD stage upgrade by them if they have a good, better, best lifter option, I'm guessing no. When I did my stage 2 myself last winter, with FM package of Woods cam, they sold the S/S premium lifters instead of the Woods, since they were out of stock, but I also opted for the S/S lifter cuffs.
Wonder if your motor replacement will be a Stage 3 upgraded motor or just a motor replacement, or how that works. Good luck Sir!

Old 08-01-2022 | 03:34 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by mjwebb
wasn't the point, it's after the fact feedback to let them know about it so they have the opportunity to address staff on perhaps how they would prefer to handle future incidents of this nature
Yeah, I'm pretty good at missing the point or so I'm told

If you're truly trying to provide feedback to upper management, then best not to be sarcastic as you provide it...

The following 2 users liked this post by bradsULtd:
Hawg Runner (08-02-2022), WorkForIt (08-05-2022)
Old 08-01-2022 | 03:42 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bradsULtd
Yeah, I'm pretty good at missing the point or so I'm told

If you're truly trying to provide feedback to upper management, then best not to be sarcastic as you provide it...
yeah maybe not..but I'm sure in a private message they'll get the point that their service department was reached out to for help and declined and owner was upset enough about it to write the GM..they can go research the facts and circumstances and decide if anything may need to be done to improve internally

bradsULtd (08-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Lifter Failure on M8 at 45k miles