Sponsored by:

Lifter Failure on M8 at 45k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022 | 08:55 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
I’m happy to report that so far so good. She is running very well, sounds great and his putting a smile on our faces again.

Yesterday we crossed the 1000 mile mark and I already had an appointment at Smokin HD for a TPMS sensor replacement and engine oil and filter.

I left out at 9:30am this morning at 50 degrees and had a very good ride to Smokin. The bike was dirty with a ton of bugs on the fairing, windshield and lowers. Thank you so much for washing my bike! I tipped the wash guy after seeing it ready to go.

Jeff got me right in. I was the first for the day. He reviewed everything to make sure they had me covered and to make sure there was nothing else needed.

I was at the parts counter talking to Jake and Andy walked up to ask me about the bike and make sure everything is god with the new engine. The conversation quickly went from all is good to how long between lifter changes to how about we build some more horsepower. Discussing a possible cam change, tuner and S&S lifters next.

I walked around and talked to a couple of sales people including Susan. She is a trip and the Carolina Girl and I love talking to her. Oh, by the way the Carolina Girl do not want to ride along this morning!

Eric the parts and service manager was at the coffee pot as I was grabbing a cup and his first comment was “Mark, you got her broke in now”? We continued our conversation into politics, firearms and guitars. Two of which I have some knowledge! I have to say these are some really good guys at Smokin. They have a good group that work well together.

My phone rang and Jeff said I was ready to roll. I paid for the oil change and filter. All reports from Jesse the tech were good. The TPMS sensor was replaced after a four month backlog. WOW all the lights are off on the instrument cluster. I didn’t know how to act riding him. With a TPMS sensor bad you not only have the ABS / low tire pressure yellow light on the tach glowing, but you also have the RED check engine light with like three codes. Thank God that is now fixed and we are back to 100%!

Today’s ride was exactly 70.0 miles round trip. The ride back home was beautiful at 62 degrees.

Thank you Eric, Jeff, Andy, Jane, Jesse, Susan, Ray and all the Smokin team.

The bike had 45,099 miles on her when the lifter let go.

Todays ride to and back from the dealership. 70.0

Olivia is clean and everything is working again, what a good feeling!

No warning lights on! Wow that is much better.

The rear tire sensor is working!

I’m getting the feeling again for another Iron Butt.
There is another thread on this forum of a lifter failure after a performance build. That individual was running Woods Night Prowler lifters. I am not sure if he was running the stock cuffs or S&S, but the damage looked the same. I have taken great interest in this thread as I am waiting on the shop to get the parts for installing stage 3 (122") on my '17 CVO.

Last edited by Tortoise98; 10-24-2022 at 08:57 AM. Reason: content
The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (11-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2022 | 09:22 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,186 Likes on 3,660 Posts

I’m happy to report that so far so good. She is running very well, sounds great and his putting a smile on our faces again.

Yesterday we crossed the 1000 mile mark and I already had an appointment at Smokin HD for a TPMS sensor replacement and engine oil and filter.

I left out at 9:30am this morning at 50 degrees and had a very good ride to Smokin. The bike was dirty with a ton of bugs on the fairing, windshield and lowers. Thank you so much for washing my bike! I tipped the wash guy after seeing it ready to go.

Jeff got me right in. I was the first for the day. He reviewed everything to make sure they had me covered and to make sure there was nothing else needed.

I was at the parts counter talking to Jake and Andy walked up to ask me about the bike and make sure everything is god with the new engine. The conversation quickly went from all is good to how long between lifter changes to how about we build some more horsepower. Discussing a possible cam change, tuner and S&S lifters next.

I walked around and talked to a couple of sales people including Susan. She is a trip and the Carolina Girl and I love talking to her. Oh, by the way the Carolina Girl do not want to ride along this morning!

Eric the parts and service manager was at the coffee pot as I was grabbing a cup and his first comment was “Mark, you got her broke in now”? We continued our conversation into politics, firearms and guitars. Two of which I have some knowledge! I have to say these are some really good guys at Smokin. They have a good group that work well together.

My phone rang and Jeff said I was ready to roll. I paid for the oil change and filter. All reports from Jesse the tech were good. The TPMS sensor was replaced after a four month backlog. WOW all the lights are off on the instrument cluster. I didn’t know how to act riding him. With a TPMS sensor bad you not only have the ABS / low tire pressure yellow light on the tach glowing, but you also have the RED check engine light with like three codes. Thank God that is now fixed and we are back to 100%!

Today’s ride was exactly 70.0 miles round trip. The ride back home was beautiful at 62 degrees.

Thank you Eric, Jeff, Andy, Jane, Jesse, Susan, Ray and all the Smokin team.

The bike had 45,099 miles on her when the lifter let go.

Todays ride to and back from the dealership. 70.0

Olivia is clean and everything is working again, what a good feeling!

No warning lights on! Wow that is much better.

The rear tire sensor is working!

I’m getting the feeling again for another Iron Butt.
Gorgeous bike !! Real glad the dealer took care of you.

Old 11-01-2022 | 07:14 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,279 Likes on 7,400 Posts

Originally Posted by Tortoise98
There is another thread on this forum of a lifter failure after a performance build. That individual was running Woods Night Prowler lifters. I am not sure if he was running the stock cuffs or S&S, but the damage looked the same. I have taken great interest in this thread as I am waiting on the shop to get the parts for installing stage 3 (122") on my '17 CVO.

Stuff happens and things break. I would not be too concerned, but when it comes to lifters, cams and valve springs use quality brands and stay away from HD.

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Gorgeous bike !! Real glad the dealer took care of you.

Thank you, we got very lucky all the way around. The guys at Smokin are super to work with.

Old 12-03-2022 | 09:37 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member

Stuff happens and things break. I would not be too concerned, but when it comes to lifters, cams and valve springs use quality brands and stay away from HD.

Thank you, we got very lucky all the way around. The guys at Smokin are super to work with.
Just got my bike back after having the 122" stage 3 installed. Now I know how you felt the first time you rode it after having it done! Pretty significant seat of the pants experience! Like you I still have HD extended warranty for about a year and a half, so had to go with all HD parts.

Old 12-04-2022 | 08:58 PM
scott7d
Road Captain
Received 947 Likes on 292 Posts

I guess I should count my blessings. 108,000 miles on my lifters (2020 CVO Road Glide). Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to swap em out with the next round of maintenance.

The following 2 users liked this post by scott7d:
GPHDXLC (12-04-2022), mjwebb (12-04-2022)
Old 12-05-2022 | 06:52 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by scott7d
I guess I should count my blessings. 108,000 miles on my lifters (2020 CVO Road Glide). Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to swap em out with the next round of maintenance.
The ones that came out of mine weren't terrible at 77,000 miles. One had a little scuffing on the roller but it still turned just fine, and all of them seemed to hold pressure. No scarring on the cam to speak of.
The Service manager did tell me they have had far more SE lifters fail than stock over the years, he said they always chalk it up to people banging the **** out of the motors after doing upgrades.

Old 12-09-2022 | 04:09 PM
wheelock4
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Gotta call BS on this one!!!

Old 12-09-2022 | 07:18 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,076 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelock4
On what?

mjwebb (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022 | 07:34 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,186 Likes on 3,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
On what?
Was gonna ask the same question. I cant WAIT to hear the response if there ever is one.

mjwebb (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022 | 07:53 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,397 Likes on 4,792 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelock4
Gotta call BS on this vague response

Last edited by mjwebb; 12-09-2022 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Lifter Failure on M8 at 45k miles