Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Cuff Bolt broke, not sure what to do now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 05:52 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,825 Likes on 19,323 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I would think MIG would be better.

Add:
Set a nut over the stud, point the mig wire in the hole and pull the trigger.

Tig requires a torch and filler in the same hole.. Could be hard to control the arc on the torch.
I've done it many times over the years using a mig ....Actually back in the day I used a Lincoln Hot Box a couple of times ... The equipment is only as good as the operator ;>)

...and as far as screw extractors are concerned I'd use the kind Max referenced ( spline type ) before using an East Out ... the extreme taper on the Easy Out can tend to bind the fastener you're trying to remove ... My two cents that may be worth more than that

Old 07-08-2022, 06:05 PM
JED POLAND
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

If "Easy Outs" is what I suggested then I can tell you that they never failed on me.
Nie, that's 27 years of my professional experience - which I am not saying is worth more than your two cents.
Peace.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 06:08 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,825 Likes on 19,323 Posts

I appreciate your experience ... I have over 40 ... also owned my own shop ..
. Your turn ;>

... and yes patience is the key in however you approach it

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 07-08-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:43 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 624 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by JED POLAND
I undone 100s of Loctite-secured bolts and never in my life used a heat on them, to "break" Loctite.

Now, it the bolt's snapped even with the surface, there's nothing better then set of good bolt extractors, i.e:
Bolt extractors
I love posts like this.
just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean it isn't true. In this situation the style extractors you linked to suck. The ridgid extractors are probably the best I've used because they won't expand the broken bolt and wedge it in the hole, plus you can turn the broken bolt both directions and work it loose/out.

Welding a nut to what remains of the bolt works great for applications such as this. Whatever you do, heat is your friend here. Penetrating oil can also help by reducing friction, just be careful not to start a fire. Probably the best penetrating oil I've used is Kano Kroil. It's not cheap, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

The following 3 users liked this post by d_slat:
Kenelz (07-08-2022), NorthWestern (07-08-2022), Uncle Larry (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 07:03 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by JED POLAND
I undone 100s of Loctite-secured bolts and never in my life used a heat on them, to "break" Loctite.

Now, it the bolt's snapped even with the surface, there's nothing better then set of good bolt extractors, i.e:
Bolt extractors

Personally I wouldn't use those extractors, They are for pipes and have a high helix..

I've used but the tapered std helix and straight tapered screw extractors and by far the Rigid setup is better. Like D_slat says you can wiggle it back and forth.. I've all used LH drills. Nut welding. Even pin punches to get the easy ones out..

One thing for sure, when I changed the lifters on my M8 RK. It took more than an hour to get all the tappet cover screws and the lifter cuff screws out. I could get them to move a little and they'd get tight so it was back and forth with penetrating oil until they'd free up enough to get another turn..

Old 07-08-2022, 07:51 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

Easy out/extractors are the last resort for me, many things can go wrong, ie: drill break, extractor break, etc.
The nut over the stud and fill works for me. Stick or MIG, that leaves one hand free to hold the nut.
I'm in the "heat is your friend" camp for locktight.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:00 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 624 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
One thing for sure, when I changed the lifters on my M8 RK. It took more than an hour to get all the tappet cover screws and the lifter cuff screws out. I could get them to move a little and they'd get tight so it was back and forth with penetrating oil until they'd free up enough to get another turn..
I had similar experience with mine. I'll add that I made sure to use the shortest handle 1/4"ratchet I own, so I know just how much torque I'm applying to the tiny bolts and have a better feel for when it's time to go the other direction to avoid breaking them.

The following 2 users liked this post by d_slat:
Max Headflow (07-08-2022), OldMike (07-09-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 09:54 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Had Rayearth picked up and off to a shop that knows harleys.
Guy in the hat talked about the welding a nut to the stud trick.
I think these guys will be able to get it out, and bring my bike back so I can finish this oilpump upgrade and cam install.
(I asked their permission if it was ok to use them in the video/photos), these guys are from Lockrem Cyclebarn.
Motorcycle and fabrication shop.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 09:59 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,814 Likes on 3,689 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Had Rayearth picked up and off to a shop that knows harleys.
Guy in the hat talked about the welding a nut to the stud trick.
I think these guys will be able to get it out, and bring my bike back so I can finish this oilpump upgrade and cam install.
(I asked their permission if it was ok to use them in the video/photos), these guys are from Lockrem Cyclebarn.
Motorcycle and fabrication shop.

Great looking bike!

Old 07-08-2022, 10:06 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
Great looking bike!
Thanks! I aint done with him yet. I got lots of stuff vanity stuff still left to do.
I still got new monoshock with no RAP so I can switch to the full side panel, recoloring side panel Golden, chrome heated grips, Live To Ride covers, Chrome trim, spray painting a few parts silver, Big Brake rotor kit,
Can't wait to finish up, and start touring.

Quick Reply: Lifter Cuff Bolt broke, not sure what to do now.