Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Cuff Bolt broke, not sure what to do now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 01:56 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,342 Likes on 5,487 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
Glad I read this thread, as I said earlier the service manual says nothing about heating the bolt to remove or applying lock tight. Have thought about replacing the cuffs with the S@S ones and will for sure remember to heat the bolt before removing. A 00 tip on an oxy acetylene torch I think would work good in pre heating the bolt.
Heat gun much less chance of messing something up . Use one a fair amount.

The following users liked this post:
WP50 (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 02:10 PM
Garage666
Road Master
Received 476 Likes on 250 Posts

I have an idea. Find a softer grade bolt the same size as the original snapped off size. Shorten it to fit low in the lifter block, then using a drill press, bore a small hole into the shortened bolt, insert in lifter block, install lifter block with shortened bolt. Now, using shortened bolt as a guide, drill into the snapped bolt, increasing in size until you just short of the threads in the block.

Just a thought, I hope it helps.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:11 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I heated the bolt from above with my heat gun for a little while before trying to pull it out.
The first one came out just fine.
But the 2nd one didnt, obviously..
This question is open to anyone but since FranBunny was just doing this I quoted her.

It was obvious in the Fuel Moto link they were more specifically heating the case rather than the bolt. Which makes sense to loosen the thread locker.
FranBunny when you heated things up and got the first bolt out did you go back and apply more heat before attempting to take the second one out ?
Would you think concentrating on one side and then the other be of help ?

A friend at coffee this morning was saying that his son is going the change these blocks on his M8 tonight.
I got call into him to see if the boy knows about this.

Thanks for your time folks

WP

The following 2 users liked this post by WP50:
smitty901 (07-09-2022), Uncle Larry (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 02:14 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 991 Posts

FuelMoto USA says 5 minutes of heat from a heat gun for 5 minutes, and the bolt comes out.
https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...-removal-tips/
I heated the bolt from above with my heat gun for a little while before trying to pull it out.
The first one came out just fine.
But the 2nd one didnt, obviously.

I'm kicking my self so hard right now for not knowing I needed to heat the bolt for MUCH longer.
I'm getting that major itch to ride and cabin fever because of it.
Girl needs her bike back, ASAP.
Per university.fuelmoto.com "Fortunately we’ve found an effective, easy step which has eliminated the issues we were encountering. Once we have the cam chest disassembled we use a heat gun to heat the engine case from the inner cam chest side (as shown in the image below), it only takes about 5 minutes of heat and the bolt’s screw out with ease."

Not trying to beat you up, but you didn't follow the instructions they were giving, as they heat the bolts from below. As Ip said "Aluminum (case) and steel (fastener) expand at different ratios. Heating both actually loosens their connection...". Since this is a blind hole, heating from below causes the aluminum to expand and the loctite to loosen while probably affecting the bolt itself very little. The aluminum expands, the bolt doesn't, so the bolt extracts easily.
Had you done as they instructed you probably would have gotten the bolt out without breaking it, although that is not 100% guaranteed.

The following 5 users liked this post by $tonecold:
deauxboy (07-09-2022), Johnny jonjon (07-09-2022), MTBIG G (07-09-2022), smitty901 (07-09-2022), Steve Sportster (11-06-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 02:18 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Not trying to beat you up, but you didn't follow the instructions they were giving
Not trying to snap back at you but I didnt see this article until AFTER the bolt had snapped.
All I had ever heard was to heat the bolt up for a little while then take it out.
I'd never seen Fuelmoto's instructions... until AFTER I posted this thread. How would I have been able to follow instructions I was never given.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:22 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
It was obvious in the Fuel Moto link they were more specifically heating the case rather than the bolt. Which makes sense to loosen the thread locker.
FranBunny when you heated things up and got the first bolt out did you go back and apply more heat before attempting to take the second one out ?
Would you think concentrating on one side and then the other be of help ?
Yes, I heated the first bolt from above, and it came out just fine.
Rear cylinder I repeated the same step and the bolt broke.

I didnt know I needed to heat it from the bottom, as I had never seen the FuelMoto Article on it. I only ever saw the FuelMoto Article after the incident and started searching for a solution of what to do. I'd just heard and read advice from others before then.
I was actually using my heat gun on all of the bolts around the tappets to make them easier to remove. I'd put the narrow tip of my heat gun, set it to 850*F and heat the bolt up for like a minute or so. Bolt heads hot enough to not be able to touch them with my fingers without being burned.
I now know that was futile and pointless. The heat has to go into the case itself from below.

Blast heat to the case where the bolt sinks into.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 07-09-2022 at 02:30 PM.
WP50 (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 03:01 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,825 Likes on 19,323 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
Gall Dang it Larry I had to back up 2 pages after this post to get my thoughts back together
I had a question Maybe it'll come back to me in a few WHEW !!!

WP
She hates it when I post her picture :>)

WP50 (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 03:17 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 160 Posts

I tend to use my ancient soldering iron (that looks like a chisel) on these kind of things if they feel even a little stubborn. I've found blue and red red loctite on too many small bolts/fasteners than I can count. Seems like it helps the PB blaster work on rusted crap better too.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:28 PM
Johnny jonjon
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Lot of "mechanics", choose your title:
Certified
Master
Garage
Hammer

I'm between Garage and Hammer depending on if patience runs out.
If a “mechanic” claims to be a certified aircraft mechanic and the FAA didn’t certify him it won’t be long before he is doing prison time.
this statement is certifiable

Old 07-09-2022, 04:32 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Reading this thread should be worth one college credit hour (with no student loan). I miss lock washers.

Quick Reply: Lifter Cuff Bolt broke, not sure what to do now.