Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Cuff Bolt broke, not sure what to do now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 11:04 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,902 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
So it looks like you put it all back together for them to pick it up and take it to the shop, or am I missing something?

I would have left the push rods, push rod tubes, and lifter blocks off so the shop would not have to deal with it.

Something seems amiss to me.
No no, I didnt put it all back together.
I just put the tappet blocks and the pushrod tubes back in so I could seal off the engine while it was on a truck/trailer. I dont want debris getting in there.
They don't have to worry about taking much apart. it's 2 snugged bolts on tappet block, and the pushrod tubes arent clipped in. Will take less than 60 seconds to get them off.
I wanted to make sure nothing could get into that engine case.
The rest of the engine is still sitting in a box on my apartment floor, waiting to be installed.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 07-09-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:11 AM
JED POLAND
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
And I have extracted hundreds (at least) as well. I stand by my post about using heat. There are many types of thread compound, and to suggest that heat is not useful is not good advice. The lack of heat while removing played a part in this particular bolt failure

Straight flute extractors are superior for this job, only because they do not expand the fastener. The ones you listed have many uses as well. Those have saved my bacon out in the field with busted NPT fittings, etc. I might challenge the brand and model you chose.

I saw your other posts. No need to argue here, just trying to give OP solid advice on known-good solutions in the engine industry. What industry were you speaking of in your more recent posts? Just curious, since you brought it up.

I have charged my customers good money for extracting some very "challenging" fasteners in engines. They have happily paid for these solutions.

OP looks like you have the right guys on the job, I am sure you will have it all taken care of soon!!
1. Heated bolt means expanded bolt - rather obstacle than help, if you ask me. Heated case (by a wrong person) means cracked case.
2. IF the right thread locker has been used along with proper TQ, no need for any heat, anywhere - unless we're talking old bolts, corroded, exposed to whatever conditions.
3. AGAIN - either you people don't understand what you read OR my English is too poor to express my thoughts - I have not given any advice -in Polish language, that sentence means: "ME MYSELF and I" never done this or that - in this case, it means "I didn't use heat to break Loctite grip".
4. Marine engineering: engines, pumps, turbines, you name it.

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Well Jed ... I guess we've learned that our experiences pale in comparison to yours ... Ride safe and don't break any fasteners
Then definitely it must be my poor English - sorry, guys, I am self-learner.

EOT from my side.

Last edited by JED POLAND; 07-09-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:13 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JED POLAND
1. Heated bolt means expanded bolt - rather obstacle than help, if you ask me. Heated case (by a wrong person) means cracked case.
2. IF the right thread locker has been use, no need for any heat, anywhere - unless we're talking old bolts, corroded, exposed to whatever conditions.
FuelMoto USA says 5 minutes of heat from a heat gun for 5 minutes, and the bolt comes out.
https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...-removal-tips/

Old 07-09-2022, 12:28 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,641 Likes on 2,107 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
FuelMoto USA says 5 minutes of heat from a heat gun for 5 minutes, and the bolt comes out.
https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...-removal-tips/
If one is not opening up the cam chest I would try a small tip on a torch and heat the top of the bolt, would think that would loosen it enough, again the factory service3 manual says nothing about adding lock tight.

Old 07-09-2022, 12:33 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,830 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Aluminum (case) and steel (fastener) expand at different ratios. Heating both actually loosens their connection...

The following 2 users liked this post by lp:
FranBunnyFFXII (07-09-2022), Johnny jonjon (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 12:57 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
If one is not opening up the cam chest I would try a small tip on a torch and heat the top of the bolt, would think that would loosen it enough, again the factory service3 manual says nothing about adding lock tight.
I heated the bolt from above with my heat gun for a little while before trying to pull it out.
The first one came out just fine.
But the 2nd one didnt, obviously.

I'm kicking my self so hard right now for not knowing I needed to heat the bolt for MUCH longer.
I'm getting that major itch to ride and cabin fever because of it.
Girl needs her bike back, ASAP.

Old 07-09-2022, 01:04 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 318 Posts

3. AGAIN - either you people don't understand what you read OR my English is too poor to express my thoughts
No, we definitely get it. You're too stubborn to listen because we can't possibly have experienced something that you haven't. Below is a link and a screenshot to one of loctite's products that NEEDS to be heated to break it free. I'm sure it's not the same product they use on the lifter cuff bolts, but I can tell you I am 100% certain that the loctite that they use is the reason the bolts have a tendency to break. I am also 100% certain that heat and good penetrating oil are the 2 things that will help you get them out without breaking them.

Besides having experience working on anything and everything from food processing or packaging equipment to automobiles to boilers and turbines to industrial control systems (all professionally) i've done this exact job multiple times.

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/p...kerred271.html

The following users liked this post:
Johnny jonjon (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 01:16 PM
Johnny jonjon
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 43 Posts

I have over 40 years as a certified aircraft mechanic and I rebuild my own bikes etc etc and so on.
I never claim to know everything and when I hear someone say they do know “everything “ the bullshit alarm goes off like an air raid siren. I learned from this post about a nut and a MIG welder (genius)

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 01:38 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,861 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
... Please don't take our comments so seriously .... We all make choices everyday based on our preferences and experiences

Gall Dang it Larry I had to back up 2 pages after this post to get my thoughts back together
I had a question Maybe it'll come back to me in a few WHEW !!!

WP

Last edited by WP50; 07-09-2022 at 01:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WP50:
1badharley (07-10-2022), Max Headflow (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 01:39 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny jonjon
I have over 40 years as a certified aircraft mechanic and I rebuild my own bikes etc etc and so on.
I never claim to know everything and when I hear someone say they do know “everything “ the bullshit alarm goes off like an air raid siren. I learned from this post about a nut and a MIG welder (genius)
Lot of "mechanics", choose your title:
Certified
Master
Garage
Hammer

I'm between Garage and Hammer depending on if patience runs out.

The following 2 users liked this post by OldMike:
CoolBreeze3646 (07-09-2022), WP50 (07-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Lifter Cuff Bolt broke, not sure what to do now.