Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "sound" question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2022 | 10:26 AM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter

[QUOTE=snerkler;20652349]That does sound good, I’ve been listening to a few cam videos and I do think the S&S 475 sounds the best to me. I saw one video saying that it lacked a little bit low down compared to the 465, is this true and if so I assume it’s still better then the stock cam?

Have always heard the same about the 475 and bottom end torque until a friend purchased a 2017 Limited with 42k miles and the 475 installed. And yes it had the best sound EVER and in true form gutless until 3k rpm then she wound up very strong.

Well after we got the exhaust restrictors for the Rhinehart DBX45s and a new PowerVision tune from FuelMoto she has now for almost a year had it ALL. This 107 pulls the front wheel while rolling in 1st gear (clutch released no popping clutch better than my 128" and can actually pull me for a very short sprint as she has it all! And as I still always keep hearing the same thing about the 475, I just wonder if it is a freak and fell in with perfect mechanical timing as no other touring 107 can compete and she is always with a full trunk, saddlebags and filthy nasty rode hard and put up wet. If I didn't take care of her and change her oil, my fatass truckdriving friend from childhood would destroy her.🤷‍♂️

Had to come back and add;
The 1st set of restrictors only lasted about a 1000 miles and he didn't even know they were gone as the Fuel Moto tune was biggest factor. Yes we installed better restrictors from DK Cycle that have now been there for about 9k miles.

This is her (Black Betty) the 107 with the S&S 475, 49k miles and the only time she has been clean right after I replaced her tranny gears set (yep 3rd gear was toasted soon after FuelMoto tuned). Eats up all 107 touring as well as 114 touring unless a good running stage 2 or more is done. Stage 1 114s have no chance.

Last edited by Bayou FLHR-M8-128"; 06-07-2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-07-2022 | 01:26 PM
snerkler
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Losing low end all depends on the mufflers you select and how open they are. M8's need back pressure.

I ran this cam with the S&S mk45 mufflers and left the DB reducers in. If I took the db reducers out, I could def feel a little low end lag.

IMO this is the best sounding combo I've heard. Ive hear most mufflers in person except the krome werks, and I've heard others say they sound great also. I've also heard several cams. Like you I really like the lope and sound of this cam and will be installing it in my current bike soon.

As for the tabs and zombie baffles, this was the ones I was referring too. Personally I don't like their sound. Sounds tinny and hollow and if anything can be too loud, its this muffler baffle combo.

ANY aftermarket cam will be a huge improvement on the stock setup even with less back pressure. When I had the cam put in my 17, he didn't put the db reducers in. I ran them like that for a few weeks....then after reading things here and learning about how the M8's need more back pressure, I put them back in. I thought the bike was pretty strong compared to stock, but even more so after putting the reducers in.
Thanks for the info. I don't plan of new headers or removing the cat so I shouldn't have any reduction in back/scavenging pressure. I won't be removing the baffles either, I think it will be too loud then plus I've heard that this is one quick way to lose low down torque.

Apart from the sound the whole point of the Stage II is to improve torque. As long as it's better than stock that's fine. I'd rather have a combo of sound with improved torque rather than the best torque and rubbish sound.

[QUOTE=Gary Wilson;20652443]
Originally Posted by snerkler
That does sound good, I’ve been listening to a few cam videos and I do think the S&S 475 sounds the best to me. I saw one video saying that it lacked a little bit low down compared to the 465, is this true and if so I assume it’s still better then the stock cam?

Have always heard the same about the 475 and bottom end torque until a friend purchased a 2017 Limited with 42k miles and the 475 installed. And yes it had the best sound EVER and in true form gutless until 3k rpm then she wound up very strong.

Well after we got the exhaust restrictors for the Rhinehart DBX45s and a new PowerVision tune from FuelMoto she has now for almost a year had it ALL. This 107 pulls the front wheel while rolling in 1st gear (clutch released no popping clutch better than my 128" and can actually pull me for a very short sprint as she has it all! And as I still always keep hearing the same thing about the 475, I just wonder if it is a freak and fell in with perfect mechanical timing as no other touring 107 can compete and she is always with a full trunk, saddlebags and filthy nasty rode hard and put up wet. If I didn't take care of her and change her oil, my fatass truckdriving friend from childhood would destroy her.🤷‍♂️

Had to come back and add;
The 1st set of restrictors only lasted about a 1000 miles and he didn't even know they were gone as the Fuel Moto tune was biggest factor. Yes we installed better restrictors from DK Cycle that have now been there for about 9k miles.

This is her (Black Betty) the 107 with the S&S 475, 49k miles and the only time she has been clean right after I replaced her tranny gears set (yep 3rd gear was toasted soon after FuelMoto tuned). Eats up all 107 touring as well as 114 touring unless a good running stage 2 or more is done. Stage 1 114s have no chance.
When you say your friend's is gutless until 3k what's that compared to, stock or other aftermarket cams? Also, have they removed the cat and or baffles (I believe you call them db killers) which may explain lack of low end?

Old 06-07-2022 | 01:48 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by snerkler
Thanks for the info. I don't plan of new headers or removing the cat so I shouldn't have any reduction in back/scavenging pressure. I won't be removing the baffles either, I think it will be too loud then plus I've heard that this is one quick way to lose low down torque.

Apart from the sound the whole point of the Stage II is to improve torque. As long as it's better than stock that's fine. I'd rather have a combo of sound with improved torque rather than the best torque and rubbish sound.
You wont get the sound I had in the video unless you decat the headers in combination with a good cam, but it might be enough for you.

Stop stressing about losing low end torque. lol Trust me, it will be WAY more than stock period.

Stock is only like 85 hp and maybe 95 torque...dont remember the exact numbers right off. Stage 2 will give you about a 20% bump in both. I think my stage 2 numbers on that 17 in the video were 109hp and 115tq.

The following users liked this post:
snerkler (06-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022 | 03:29 PM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter

"When you say your friend's is gutless until 3k what's that compared to, stock or other aftermarket cams? Also, have they removed the cat and or baffles (I believe you call them db killers) which may explain lack of low end?"

What I mean by gutless was yes weaker than a stock 107 until it got past 3k rpm or more. This bike as you can see in picture har the Rhinehart dual exhaust with the DBX45 and no cats. And again biggest thing was the tune. I sent FuelMoto all the specs and installed some exhaust restrictors but the tune more than anything woke up a monster of a 107. Even before autotune and as soon as I pulled out on the road i blipped the throttle very quickly and front wheel came up.😳 Bot hardly believing it I hit it very hard this next time and carried the front wheel for a short bit. Friend who owned it was right beside me on my bike and we were both just cracking up. So fo all the neigh sayers on the S&S 475 on torque, this bike takes the cake as strongest 107 I have ever been on for sure and I wrench on many bikes and ride most all of them.
Just added video in next post. My last ever YouTube video

Last edited by Bayou FLHR-M8-128"; 06-07-2022 at 03:39 PM.
snerkler (06-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022 | 03:36 PM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Default Black Betty S&S 475 with Rhinehart Slimline duals and DBX45s

Old 06-07-2022 | 09:29 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gary Wilson
"When you say your friend's is gutless until 3k what's that compared to, stock or other aftermarket cams? Also, have they removed the cat and or baffles (I believe you call them db killers) which may explain lack of low end?"

What I mean by gutless was yes weaker than a stock 107 until it got past 3k rpm or more. This bike as you can see in picture har the Rhinehart dual exhaust with the DBX45 and no cats. And again biggest thing was the tune. I sent FuelMoto all the specs and installed some exhaust restrictors but the tune more than anything woke up a monster of a 107. Even before autotune and as soon as I pulled out on the road i blipped the throttle very quickly and front wheel came up.😳 Bot hardly believing it I hit it very hard this next time and carried the front wheel for a short bit. Friend who owned it was right beside me on my bike and we were both just cracking up. So fo all the neigh sayers on the S&S 475 on torque, this bike takes the cake as strongest 107 I have ever been on for sure and I wrench on many bikes and ride most all of them.
Just added video in next post. My last ever YouTube video
Nope....something was wrong with your friends bike then. Cant even compare a stock 107 in ANY rpm range to ANY aftermarket cam. Specifically the 475 since thats what I had was night and day difference the minute I rode it home from the install. And again, the installer didnt have my db reducers in, but it was still stronger at any rpm period.

Old 06-07-2022 | 09:46 PM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter

Nope....something was wrong with your friends bike then. Cant even compare a stock 107 in ANY rpm range to ANY aftermarket cam. Specifically the 475 since thats what I had was night and day difference the minute I rode it home from the install. And again, the installer didnt have my db reducers in, but it was still stronger at any rpm period.
Yes, and as I stated it was tuned wrong as purchased used from Harley with 475 and as is. The tune was totally wack.
It came with the Powervision Tuner in a box with mount and everything. Fuel Moto's tune was the fix!
Just always hearing about 475 not having torque but this one definitely will raise the wheel with just a quick flick idling in 1st every time!

snerkler (06-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022 | 09:48 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes, and as I stated it was tuned wrong as purchased used from Harley with 475 and as is. The tune was totally wack.
It came with the Powervision Tuner in a box with mount and everything. Fuel Moto's tune was the fix!
Just always hearing about 475 not having torque but this one definitely will raise the wheel with just a quick flick idling in 1st every time!
Ahh sorry. missed the rest of the story. lol

Old 06-07-2022 | 09:57 PM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter

ahh sorry. Missed the rest of the story. Lol
😂✌🏼

Old 06-08-2022 | 01:19 AM
snerkler
|
Tourer

You wont get the sound I had in the video unless you decat the headers in combination with a good cam, but it might be enough for you.

Stop stressing about losing low end torque. lol Trust me, it will be WAY more than stock period.

Stock is only like 85 hp and maybe 95 torque...dont remember the exact numbers right off. Stage 2 will give you about a 20% bump in both. I think my stage 2 numbers on that 17 in the video were 109hp and 115tq.
Yeah I get it won't sound the same, I've obviously got different slip ons too. V&H Twin Slash improved the sound massively from stock imo, not just character but slightly louder too, all I want is a few db more but not too loud that it gets annoying cruising at 70mph
Sounds lovely 👍🏻