Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quiet down valve train noise with adjustable rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 02:03 PM
briggs07
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default quiet down valve train noise with adjustable rockers?

I posted a few months back about valve train noise after my 475c cam install with S&S lifters and fuel moto adjustable pushrods. I’ve since put over 500 miles on the bike. It runs great but has always had valve train noise once the motor is heat soaked.(really only noticeable at idle) It’s super quiet when cold. I’ve recently learned Harley makes adjustable rockers for the M8 but I’ve not seen much feedback. Has anyone here had any luck with these? I’ve heard the videos on YouTube of M8s with bad lifters and mine certainly is nowhere near that bad, mine almost reminds me of any modern car engine running when you take the plastic insulation cover off the engine and you hear all the valves and injectors clicking. I’ve also seen numerous videos with my cam and there is 0 valve train noise. I also talked to S&S and they told me this cam should be very quiet as far as valve train noise goes. So after replacing my lifters twice and trying different pushrod adjustments with no difference in noise I feel like these adjustable rockers may be the answer…

Old 05-01-2022, 06:44 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Did your engine make noise like this before the cam change?

Old 05-01-2022, 07:45 PM
briggs07
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OldMike
Did your engine make noise like this before the cam change?
no I never noticed it before the cam swap

Old 05-01-2022, 07:55 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by briggs07
no I never noticed it before the cam swap
Adjustable rockers are for reducing rocker to valve stem lash. If your rocker to valve stem lash was OK before the cam change, it's not likely the cam change would create more lash.

The following users liked this post:
strych9 (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 08:45 AM
briggs07
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OldMike
Adjustable rockers are for reducing rocker to valve stem lash. If your rocker to valve stem lash was OK before the cam change, it's not likely the cam change would create more lash.
i guess my thinking is the variance in valve lash isn’t enough with a stock cam to be noticed, unless that variance becomes excessive. But now add the increased ramp rates of an aftermarket cam and now the slight variance may be more noticeable? S&S and fuel
moto both brought up the inability to be able to individually adjust valve lash as a possible reason for the noise.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:16 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

i guess my thinking is the variance in valve lash isn’t enough with a stock cam to be noticed, unless that variance becomes excessive. But now add the increased ramp rates of an aftermarket cam and now the slight variance may be more noticeable? S&S and fuel
moto both brought up the inability to be able to individually adjust valve lash as a possible reason for the noise.
To review, the rocker arm to valve stem clearance is a set measurable amount that has nothing to do with what cam is installed. If the rocker arm is touching one of the valve and not the other, this is the clearance that can be taken up with an adjustable rocker arm. On an M8 engine, rocker clearance, according to the manual, of up to .008" is OK. I checked my clearances when I built my engine and came up with zero clearance on two arms and .0015 on two on the arms.
If an aggressive cam ramp is making a stock, quiet valve train noisy then the rockers on your engine might worth measuring for clearance. But, you checked with S&S and elsewhere and said this is a quiet cam, so, I suppose it's your call now.

The following users liked this post:
strych9 (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 10:37 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,835 Likes on 986 Posts

In case you don't have them, the part numbers are: 17300069, 17300070. I would check availability before I started tearing the rocker boxes off. Surdyke had a price of less than $100 for both.

So, if you want find out if the adjustable rocker arms will solve the problem, you can pull the rocker boxes and release the tension on the valve train and measure with a feeler gauge the valve to rocker clearance. There should be zero clearance on all valves. If there isn't then the adjustable rockers should solve that problem. If you had your head refreshed when you did the cam, then it is possible the technician didn't set the valves up correctly. The other things that could happen would be a faulty rocker arm or just wear. I've included a link that gives some insight into this.

https://www.fixmyhog.com/video/m8-ad...r-arms-017915/

Old 05-02-2022, 11:05 AM
briggs07
Cruiser

Originally Posted by $tonecold
In case you don't have them, the part numbers are: 17300069, 17300070. I would check availability before I started tearing the rocker boxes off. Surdyke had a price of less than $100 for both.

So, if you want find out if the adjustable rocker arms will solve the problem, you can pull the rocker boxes and release the tension on the valve train and measure with a feeler gauge the valve to rocker clearance. There should be zero clearance on all valves. If there isn't then the adjustable rockers should solve that problem. If you had your head refreshed when you did the cam, then it is possible the technician didn't set the valves up correctly. The other things that could happen would be a faulty rocker arm or just wear. I've included a link that gives some insight into this.

https://www.fixmyhog.com/video/m8-ad...r-arms-017915/
wow I didn’t realize they were that cheap. I thought I was going to have over $500 in doing adjustable rockers. Thanks. I’ll definitely pull the rocker boxes and check mine for sure now.

Old 05-02-2022, 05:16 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,835 Likes on 986 Posts

wow I didn’t realize they were that cheap. I thought I was going to have over $500 in doing adjustable rockers. Thanks. I’ll definitely pull the rocker boxes and check mine for sure now.
Well it's going to be $200 because its $48.08 for each rocker.

Old 05-03-2022, 11:21 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

I imagine it’s like everything else; you need two of each part number to do both cylinders?

My front cylinder has had a little more singing than the rear since new. Makes since seeing as how the stock rockers work.
Good info!

Last edited by scj; 05-03-2022 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: quiet down valve train noise with adjustable rockers?