Sponsored by:

Engine hitting frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 07:57 AM
CT2500
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
RGR. I tried everything to get mine re-centered (cause I though something was wrong) to the point I broke the center piece off. Took it in to HD and they put a new mount on. New mount looked identical.
Tech walked me around to another new bike that was on a lift and it was exactly the same. Whole ordeal was a waste of time and made me feel stupid.

When I say I tried everything, I mean I loosened all (4) the mounts, wiggled the engine/trans, used a scissor lift under the engine, a pry bar, some thoughts and prayers, nothing would center it.
Being the obsessive type, I also went as far as getting an adjustable top engine mount. Only then was I able to closely center it and then 15K miles later the rear tire had irregular wear on the one side.
Took it off and went back to stock and it's been fine that way for 40K miles.

Anyway, just sharing my experience. Good luck to your Sir.
thank you for sharing I’ve been chasing a vibration since last riding season front and rear wheel bearings have been replaced front rotors rear tire both tires re-balanced different belt tensions and no change. I saw the broken cog when I was adjusting belt the last time so I got a belt dark horse comp and Hayden tensioner to install.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:49 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

Originally Posted by CT2500

You can see mount is not centered anymore

That's the high elevation position. Harley only provides those for people who do wheelies.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-30-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:58 PM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 445 Likes on 320 Posts

Alloy Art makes an adjustable rear upper link to keep the engine centered at the back end and tightens up the frame also.

Old 03-31-2022, 10:54 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 508 Likes on 343 Posts

If you've made a decision for replacing the mounts. Ive been happy with the switch to polyurethane mounts on my bagger build.

Old 03-31-2022, 11:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

pulleys look fine. My riding habits are a bit harsh I am leaning towards a hole shot or wheelie
Well you explained why things are hitting. You want to abuse it better find either solid or poly mounts, rubber is just going to keep deforming and banging hard parts .

The following users liked this post:
Slingshot383 (04-01-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 11:23 PM
CT2500
Advanced

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
If you've made a decision for replacing the mounts. Ive been happy with the switch to polyurethane mounts on my bagger build.
any excessive vibration felt through your body with ploy mounts?

Old 04-02-2022, 11:24 PM
CT2500
Advanced

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Well you explained why things are hitting. You want to abuse it better find either solid or poly mounts, rubber is just going to keep deforming and banging hard parts .
got friends that ride same way checked there bikes and no witnesses marks in frame or primary

Old 04-02-2022, 11:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

got friends that ride same way checked there bikes and no witnesses marks in frame or primary
Does not mean a thing. You already know you are abusing the machine so there is no easy out on this.

You have 2 choices , first is you know you got a heavy hand and like getting frisky so set the machine up accordingly and enjoy it with peace of mind.

Second choice is deflect on the why like you just did with the buddies comment, look for an easy out and continue to have issues till something you can't ignore breaks.

I got long priors breaking **** from playing hard with my own toys, I pass on this hard learned and sometimes expensive knowledge in hopes others maybe don't do the same things.

I do mean all this in a helpful way, I'm an old bike wrench been there done this more times than I can remember with others.

Got the polys , there is not enough vibration difference to worry about, like you'd really notice running it out all the time.

Old 04-03-2022, 11:04 AM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 508 Likes on 343 Posts

[QUOTE=CT2500;20537306]any excessive vibration felt through your body with ploy mounts?[/QUOTE

You may be good on the M8 with a balancer. Im a S&S 124 TC. Definitely more vibes at a standstill. Moving no big deal. Its a tradeoff for better handling I was ok with.

Old 04-03-2022, 08:41 PM
CT2500
Advanced

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Does not mean a thing. You already know you are abusing the machine so there is no easy out on this.

You have 2 choices , first is you know you got a heavy hand and like getting frisky so set the machine up accordingly and enjoy it with peace of mind.

Second choice is deflect on the why like you just did with the buddies comment, look for an easy out and continue to have issues till something you can't ignore breaks.

I got long priors breaking **** from playing hard with my own toys, I pass on this hard learned and sometimes expensive knowledge in hopes others maybe don't do the same things.

I do mean all this in a helpful way, I'm an old bike wrench been there done this more times than I can remember with others.

Got the polys , there is not enough vibration difference to worry about, like you'd really notice running it out all the time.
I hear ya ben a gear head sense I was a teenager in my younger years I blew up everything I owned I got good at replacing or rebuilding all driveline components. I know it will come with a certain amount of expense to get bike right. I have not ben able to locate poly mounts only thing I found was glide pro mounts most of reviews people went back to stock they didn’t last.

Quick Reply: Engine hitting frame