Sponsored by:

Crankcase ventilation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 12:39 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,334 Likes on 4,764 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
FWIW, when all things are properly installed there should not be pressure buildup in the crankcase causing oil to be “pushed” out the breathers.
By simply venting the crankcase you may have eliminated an oily mess your abnormal crankcase pressure issue still remains.
IME its always best to identify and fix the blow-by issue rather than bandaid it.
Bob
and maybe that excess pressure is too much oil? even HD manuals says not to overfill or it will exit the breathers and saturate the air filter..as I think most know..Full really means overfilled based on their dipstick calibration..at least that's kind of been the perception..sure there are multiple things that can cause or contribute to it

Old 03-06-2022, 02:12 PM
lowbed
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
and maybe that excess pressure is too much oil? even HD manuals says not to overfill or it will exit the breathers and saturate the air filter..as I think most know..Full really means overfilled based on their dipstick calibration..at least that's kind of been the perception..sure there are multiple things that can cause or contribute to it

No, I think there are M8's out there with more that their fair share of blow by. I have a 2018 SG my brother has a 2018 RG both bikes kept 1/2 qt low we went on a 3,500mi trip, the timing cover on my bike was covered in oil the right saddlebag was covered and the air filter was saturated, we both keep the oil at the same notch on the dip stick I needed to add oil he did not. Both of us run the same brand of oil we were riding together and both bikes were built in Dec of 2017 it's hard to get better proof than that the some of these engines are pushing oil out as it was a side by side comparison of nearly identicle bikes, only difference being the faring which would have no bearing on this.

The following users liked this post:
FLTRI17 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 03:08 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lowbed
No, I think there are M8's out there with more that their fair share of blow by. I have a 2018 SG my brother has a 2018 RG both bikes kept 1/2 qt low we went on a 3,500mi trip, the timing cover on my bike was covered in oil the right saddlebag was covered and the air filter was saturated, we both keep the oil at the same notch on the dip stick I needed to add oil he did not. Both of us run the same brand of oil we were riding together and both bikes were built in Dec of 2017 it's hard to get better proof than that the some of these engines are pushing oil out as it was a side by side comparison of nearly identicle bikes, only difference being the faring which would have no bearing on this.
I simply said what the manufacturer states, don't overfill or it will puke through the breathers into the air filter....my wife and I had 2017 oil cooled 107s..she took hers on its maiden voyage on a long interstate 600 mile ladies ride..despite my warning her about that not being a proper break in she went anyway..hers was a puker and by 20,000 miles had need some R&R...I broke mine in properlyand when I traded it at 40,000 miles it had never exhibited the puker syndrome..proper break in is one contributing factor..I'm sure things such as bike to bike tolerance variations in the top end, and other stuff are contributors to the problem as well...some may just be a bad copy and it's luck of the draw

Old 03-06-2022, 06:57 PM
lowbed
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I simply said what the manufacturer states, don't overfill or it will puke through the breathers into the air filter....my wife and I had 2017 oil cooled 107s..she took hers on its maiden voyage on a long interstate 600 mile ladies ride..despite my warning her about that not being a proper break in she went anyway..hers was a puker and by 20,000 miles had need some R&R...I broke mine in properlyand when I traded it at 40,000 miles it had never exhibited the puker syndrome..proper break in is one contributing factor..I'm sure things such as bike to bike tolerance variations in the top end, and other stuff are contributors to the problem as well...some may just be a bad copy and it's luck of the draw
Growing up our farther owned a small motorcycle shop and we raced motocross for years, we both got rebuild plenty of engines. Neither bike was broke in like your wife's, Ones a spitter and the other swallows got nothing else.

The following 2 users liked this post by lowbed:
binarym (09-14-2022), wmprof (03-08-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 07:12 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lowbed
Growing up our farther owned a small motorcycle shop and we raced motocross for years, we both got rebuild plenty of engines. Neither bike was broke in like your wife's, Ones a spitter and the other swallows got nothing else.
definitely don’t want to baby them…I grew up riding and racing dirt bikes so about half my riding life off road…two strokes…those things would take serious abuse and keep on going

lowbed (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 03:25 PM
JED POLAND
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

But thoe were 2-stroke, workhorses, and whatever and I really mean it, whatever type of engine it is, it does need break-in period.
Don't listen to B.S.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:40 PM
m8deluxe
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crankcase ventilation

I purchased my 2019 Softail Deluxe bout a month ago and have read a lot about the M8 Crankcase overpressure issue. After removing my air cleaner cover. I found what appears to be a factory installed venting system, (see attached image). Also transmission cover has a rubber tube coming from the forward edge which 90's right about an inch and then down and is open to atmosphere. Wh

at am I looking at here? Also do I have reason to believe my motorcycle has an upgraded oil pump?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
28Q7770691E1.pdf (703.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-14-2022, 04:46 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by m8deluxe
I purchased my 2019 Softail Deluxe bout a month ago and have read a lot about the M8 Crankcase overpressure issue. After removing my air cleaner cover. I found what appears to be a factory installed venting system, (see attached image). Also transmission cover has a rubber tube coming from the forward edge which 90's right about an inch and then down and is open to atmosphere. Wh

at am I looking at here? Also do I have reason to believe my motorcycle has an upgraded oil pump?
Welcome to HDForums.

IF your M8 was manufactured after 5/22/2019 it has the updated oil pump.

Vent tube you're seeing by the primary was implemented to mitigate oil transfer from the transmission to the primary.

The vent tube you're seeing in the AC is not really new, all engines have to vent excess pressure, and that's how Harley does it, largely dictated by the EPA (as they do in cars as well)

Ride your bike and enjoy.

Oh, and why you attached a Briggs & Stratton parts manual is a mystery to me.

Last edited by Keithhu; 09-14-2022 at 04:54 PM.
Vec (10-01-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 05:04 PM
m8deluxe
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mystery to me too. Obviously due to my technical ineptitude. Sorry. And Thank you. Haven't been financially able to have a Harley since 1979. Now I can't get the smile off my face.

The following 3 users liked this post by m8deluxe:
Belloc42 (09-20-2022), Keithhu (09-14-2022), SWMB (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 09:21 PM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 458 Likes on 304 Posts

My '19 Heritage 114 is my 5th big twin and it's the first one that's actually 'dry' as in no leaks and no obvious blowby into the air filter. I recently ran an 840 mile day trying to get home before some heavy rains. I ran with the cruise set at 75 mph. The next day I checked the oil and the dipstick was right where it started. No sign of any slobber out of the air filter. I hope I haven't jinxed myself.....
If one can do it, wouldn't it be nice if they all could? It seems like we've got more manufacturing variability in our bikes than some of the competition.

Kruzer88 (05-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Crankcase ventilation