Sponsored by:

Best clutch basket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 10:25 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts
Default Best clutch basket?

I picked up a Cycle Rama compensator ramp from FuelMoto which should be here soon, and figuring if I’m going to have the primary apart I might as well upgrade the clutch basket. I already have a carbonite clutch which is excellent, so I might as well have a basket that can handle the abuse the 128 delivers.

I see Barnett, Rekluse and Trask, are all around the same price. Any thoughts on which way to go? I expect any will be an improvement over stock…

The following users liked this post:
Tourglideftww (07-10-2021)

Top Answer

06-26-2021, 09:37 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

It may seem overwhelming/daunting, but removing the primary drive is really not an overly complicated procedure.

I know you said you have the tools, but there are a few uncommon ones that I'll mention, just in case.
  • T-70 Torx bit (for the compensator bolt)
  • 1 3/16" socket (for the clutch assemble retaining nut)
  • Benzomatic gas torch (like the kind plumber's use to sweat pipes, they're cheap at Lowes/Home Depot)
  • 9/16-12 Bottoming Tap (available at McMaster-Carr)
  • Torque Wrench capable of 175 ft/lbs
  • Red Loctite
  • Snap-ring Pliers (good ones)
The compensator bolt is torqued to 175 ft/lbs, which isn't a problem. The red loctite on that bolt will be the problem. If you use an impact, you risk popping magnets in the stator/rotor. This is where the Benzomatic torch comes into play - put the flame on the head of the T70 bolt, and hold it there a few minutes. You won't damage anything, and the heat will make the Loctite a non-issue. It's almost amazing how well the heat works. The bolt will back out like it's in sludge, but it'll come out without great effort once the heat has done it's job.

For the clutch basket assembly - you'll need to remove the three bolts that hold on the pressure plate (and AIM/Rekluse/Etc) weighted plate. Go about 2 turns and then move to the next bolt, repeating until it's off. The key is to keep the tension even on each of the three bolts until they're off.

From there, you can remove the entire pressure plate, and clutch discs at this time to set aside. It's easy to stack them on some old cardboard to keep them in the same order for reassembly.

THE CLUTCH BASKET RETAINING NUT IS A LEFT-HANDED THREAD!!!

The 1 3/16" nut turns right (clockwise) to loosen/remove it. I usually use an impact on this because once you remove the pressure plate and clutch discs, there is nothing to keep the internal clutch hub from spinning (unless if the bike is in gear and the rear tire is grounded, maybe). It's catch 22 - because with a weighted pressure plate retainer (like the AIM), it covers the hole in the pressure plate where you would typically access the clutch basket retaining nut through.

Once the compensator bolt and clutch retaining nut are off, you can slide both off at the same time. Don't worry about the chain tensioner, you can reset it to the lowest setting later and zip tie it in place for reassembly. It's recommended to keep the primary drive chain oriented in the same direction for reassembly. You won't be able to remove the chain before removing the comp & basket, so pull them out as one. Same goes for reassembly - put the chain on the comp and basket, and install them as one. If you put either the comp or basket in place first, you won't be able to get the side to side flex needed in the chain to put it over the sprockets - they have to go in as one.

As for the clutch hub/basket pressing - you don't need press plugs as you can use an appropriately sized socket to press out the clutch hub. If you have a couple scrap pieces of 2x4 wood, you can use that under the assembly for the press. Once you're doing it, it'll make better sense and you can see where you need to support things to allow clearance for the hub to be removed.

There is a retaining ring on the backside of the clutch hub shaft that has to be removed, and then you can press the hub right out.

Pressing it into the Evo Industries hub is easy - press it in from the front and it will bottom out. When it bottoms out, it should be exactly deep enough to reinstall the retaining snap-ring on the back side of the clutch hub shaft. I'd suggest a light coating of grease or assembly lube, even a film of oil would suffice on the clutch hub shaft/basket bearing to make things slide together nicely.

It's also recommended that you use a new compensator bolt - you're local dealer should have them in stock.

Before putting anything back together, Baker's instructions suggested a 9/16-12 bottoming tap be run into the crankshaft a few threads at a time to clean out the old threadlocker junk. I did a few turns, removed it, and blew out the hole with compressed air. Repeat until it's cleaned out, and you're all set. If you choose to do this step, go gently and don't force things.

Installation is obviously the reverse of the above, but it's not hard either. The service manual has the specific torque sequence for the compensator bolt - basically torque to 100 ft/lbs, back off 1/2 turn, and retorque to 175 ft/lbs. I install all the big stuff, then the last piece I put in is the chain tensioner, and then cut off the zip ties from it and measure initial chain tension, and then put the cover on.

I like Bel-Ray Primary Chaincase fluid, and I really love the clutch engagement - it's smooth, not choppy or jerky. Personal preference though, as we all have our go-to oils.

As always, if you hit any snags just hit up the forum. I just did this whole thing a couple weeks ago, so it's still fresh for me!

Last edited by Redbeard719; 06-26-2021 at 09:43 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 06-24-2021, 10:47 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,311 Likes on 4,754 Posts

all I know is Barnett has been a household name in performance clutches for many, many decades, knows their business and can be trusted..they were the go to for our racing applications and everyone used them and they have grown and continue to be strong..sure the others are good too

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
JoeeJoee (06-25-2021), Mchad (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 12:15 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I picked up a Cycle Rama compensator ramp from FuelMoto which should be here soon, and figuring if I’m going to have the primary apart I might as well upgrade the clutch basket. I already have a carbonite clutch which is excellent, so I might as well have a basket that can handle the abuse the 128 delivers.

I see Barnett, Rekluse and Trask, are all around the same price. Any thoughts on which way to go? I expect any will be an improvement over stock…
We carry and install each of them and they are of equal construction & quality. Can't go wrong either direction

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following 5 users liked this post by fuelmoto:
Ditty77 (10-18-2021), lyork (06-24-2021), Mchad (06-24-2021), Rcloud72 (02-04-2024), Uncle Larry (06-29-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 02:54 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Evolution Industries makes an incredible basket. All that is reused is the clutch hub, which is easy to press out from the old, and press into the new one.

The others require drilling to transfer the ring gear, new bearings, etc, along with transferring the hub.

The following 5 users liked this post by Redbeard719:
fuelmoto (06-24-2021), hattitude (06-25-2021), Mchad (06-25-2021), NorthWestern (06-25-2021), VDeuce (06-28-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 04:21 PM
fathead1137
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd say get the trask basket

Old 06-25-2021, 05:11 AM
jake24lt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,520 Likes on 820 Posts

I did the Trask. It was a straight forward change over. Instructions were great and everything back together with no issues.

Old 06-25-2021, 06:48 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Thanks for the advice all. Another question. When I replace the basket (actually leaning towards the Evolution Industries basket w/ring gear assembly) I’ll use my existing Carbonite clutch pack, but how about the inner hub? Is it established thats it’s a reliable enough component that doesn’t need an upgrade? I don’t see a lot of options other then stock…

Old 06-25-2021, 09:28 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I used the evolution clutch on my 09 with a 124 after my clutch basket blew broke and wedged in between the chain and the inner primary breaking the housing. I like it.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:44 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
Thanks for the advice all. Another question. When I replace the basket (actually leaning towards the Evolution Industries basket w/ring gear assembly) I’ll use my existing Carbonite clutch pack, but how about the inner hub? Is it established thats it’s a reliable enough component that doesn’t need an upgrade? I don’t see a lot of options other then stock…

I had the same question when talking to my go-to at Fuel Moto. I was reassured that the stock clutch hub was not a problem and that reusing it with the Evo Industries basket was a solid platform.

And it makes sense - the basket is the part that breaks with higher power builds and all the forces are pushing outwards on the walls of the basket. If the clutch hub were to break, it has the basket to hold things together long enough to shut things down. When the stock basket breaks, there is nothing to hold the pieces from migrating through the primary.

I also upgraded to the G3 Carbonite clutch while I was doing my swap and the Baker comp. My stock clutch was holding fine but to go that far and not upgrade seemed like a wasted opportunity.

My shifts are like butter now, so smooth and effortless. Neutral is easy to find and the bike feels like everything is working together.

And the peace of mind knowing my basket won’t grenade is invaluable.

The following 2 users liked this post by Redbeard719:
fuelmoto (06-28-2021), Mchad (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 06:51 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
I had the same question when talking to my go-to at Fuel Moto. I was reassured that the stock clutch hub was not a problem and that reusing it with the Evo Industries basket was a solid platform.

And it makes sense - the basket is the part that breaks with higher power builds and all the forces are pushing outwards on the walls of the basket. If the clutch hub were to break, it has the basket to hold things together long enough to shut things down. When the stock basket breaks, there is nothing to hold the pieces from migrating through the primary.

I also upgraded to the G3 Carbonite clutch while I was doing my swap and the Baker comp. My stock clutch was holding fine but to go that far and not upgrade seemed like a wasted opportunity.

My shifts are like butter now, so smooth and effortless. Neutral is easy to find and the bike feels like everything is working together.

And the peace of mind knowing my basket won’t grenade is invaluable.
Excellent info, thank you very much. I’ll be doing this myself - aside from fork cartridges, brakes or clutch packs/slave cylinders this will probably be the most in-depth I’ve gotten in a bike. So I’m a little apprehensive. However the videos I’ve seen make it look stupidly simple, especially if all I’m really doing is pressing out and in the hub.

I have all the tools necessary, even an impact for disassembly. I ordered a primary locking block, and a 12 ton, semi name-brand (yet still Chinese) press from Northern tools. Figured it must be slightly better then the no-name HF crap. And of course I have a service manual..

Any gotcha’s I should be aware of?

Thanks again.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mchad:
fuelmoto (06-28-2021), SomeOld Biker (07-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Best clutch basket?