Sponsored by:

Best clutch basket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 06:05 PM
goblue90
Road Master
Received 348 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Mine was fully assembled (basket came already mounted to ring gear plate, so all I had to do was press in my hub, so I can’t say I know exactly what you are referring to. But if you have to screw into there, then a quick chase with a tap would clear them out easy enough, right?

But wait for someone with more experience to chime in.

Edit: i think I see now. How flimsy is that flashing? If you can get a needle nose on it and pull it off, I’d do that. If it’s solid I’d leave it alone.
Thanks. The material seems pretty solidly connected, but I dunno if I want to chance it. Also not sure if someone tried to sand it out which is why there's no coating on those spots. I only suggest this because The bearing sounds rough when rotating the assembly like there's fine particles inside ... but I may be making myself paranoid.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:00 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by goblue90
Thanks Mchad. Mine came fully assembled as well. Look at the pictures I uploaded vs the one u uploaded. You can see 2 areas that aren't coated and are bare metal. These are supposed to be the bottoms of the screw holes like the other 4 in the picture. The material seems to not have been fully drilled out. I would expect for the price of this, I wouldn't have to drill it out myself.
I don't have any experience with this hub but looking at the pic, it seems like the basket has 6 screw holes with screws coming from the other side. It looks to me like 2 of them simply had screws that were too long and someone ground them down a little.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:29 PM
goblue90
Road Master

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I don't have any experience with this hub but looking at the pic, it seems like the basket has 6 screw holes with screws coming from the other side. It looks to me like 2 of them simply had screws that were too long and someone ground them down a little.
Thanks Max Headflow. You're right about the screws coming from the other side, but the 2 uncoated areas aren't ground down screws. The holes just weren't drilled completely through the metal like the other 4 holes.

I guess I'll have to wait for FM to respond to my email on Monday, but hopefully they'll respond tomorrow.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:41 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,336 Likes on 4,764 Posts

Thanks Max Headflow. You're right about the screws coming from the other side, but the 2 uncoated areas aren't ground down screws. The holes just weren't drilled completely through the metal like the other 4 holes.

I guess I'll have to wait for FM to respond to my email on Monday, but hopefully they'll respond tomorrow.
somebody passed out on their QC shift eh

Old 09-10-2021, 08:02 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Thanks Mchad. Mine came fully assembled as well. Look at the pictures I uploaded vs the one u uploaded. You can see 2 areas that aren't coated and are bare metal. These are supposed to be the bottoms of the screw holes like the other 4 in the picture. The material seems to not have been fully drilled out. I would expect for the price of this, I wouldn't have to drill it out myself.
I see, yes. But if it’s solid - as in not likely to flake off, I’d leave it alone if I was in a hurry. However if it seems possible it would dislodge then I would either tap it out myself (easy for me as I have a full tap and thread chaser set) if I was anxious to get it installed, or 2) call FM on Monday and have them send a replacement, as you’re right, it doesn’t look finished to the level it should be.

I’d probably do 2, just for how much I paid for it. But I wouldn’t let it hold up a build I was anxious to complete.

That clears it up, huh? Lol. Let us know how it ends up. GL

Sorry: once again I’m guilty of not scrolling back. The bearing noise would be an immediate non-starter for me. As would the sanded down part. Send it back, tell FM you want an advanced replacement and not to have to wait to send the original back before sending the replacement. Let them hold your card if necessary.

Last edited by Mchad; 09-10-2021 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:08 PM
goblue90
Road Master

Originally Posted by mjwebb
somebody passed out on their QC shift eh
Haha, yeah that's for sure! The first thing I thought of when i saw these "defects" was, I should've left it stock like mjwebb!!!

Old 09-10-2021, 08:09 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Gee, looking closer I would definitely exchange it. Look at the difference between mine (below) and yours. No company name engraved on yours either? Send it back. Looks almost like a pre-production copy.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:10 PM
goblue90
Road Master

I see, yes. But if it’s solid - as in not likely to flake off, I’d leave it alone if I was in a hurry. However if it seems possible it would dislodge then I would either tap it out myself (easy for me as I have a full tap and thread chaser set) if I was anxious to get it installed, or 2) call FM on Monday and have them send a replacement, as you’re right, it doesn’t look finished to the level it should be.

I’d probably do 2, just for how much I paid for it. But I wouldn’t let it hold up a build I was anxious to complete.

That clears it up, huh? Lol. Let us know how it ends up. GL

Sorry: once again I’m guilty of not scrolling back. The bearing noise would be an immediate non-starter for me. As would the sanded down part. Send it back, tell FM you want an advanced replacement and not to have to wait to send the original back before sending the replacement. Let them hold your card if necessary.
Haha, no need to apologize. Appreciate your responses!

Old 09-10-2021, 08:11 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Haha, yeah that's for sure! The first thing I thought of when i saw these "defects" was, I should've left it stock like mjwebb!!!
Nah, in the end you値l have a top notch setup. Sometimes **** happens. They値l make it right. The delay sucks but you値l end up with a bulletproof setup.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:14 PM
goblue90
Road Master

Gee, looking closer I would definitely exchange it. Look at the difference between mine (below) and yours. No company name engraved on yours either? Send it back. Looks almost like a pre-production copy.
There actually is an engraving in mine as well, just hard to see in the pictures.

Nah, in the end you値l have a top notch setup. Sometimes **** happens. They値l make it right. The delay sucks but you値l end up with a bulletproof setup.
Haha, yeah. Definitely trying to take a glass half full mentality. Thanks again!

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (09-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Best clutch basket?