Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best clutch basket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 07:47 AM
JoeeJoee
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

Good job on your bikes, if you gonna do something do it right !

Old 08-04-2021, 12:34 PM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 297 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I didn't. But realistically, what's the difference if I set it to 250ftbls and wrenched it? It's designed to handle that kind of torque, right? And yes, I already have the pipe extension for next time!

Thanks
In theory I agree with what you are saying. However, I was always told by several mechanics that I have known not to use them as a breaker and over stress. Case in point, years ago, good friend lets his daughters boyfriend borrow his 1/2" digital tq wrench. Gets it back and the tq settings are off. Boyfriend goes for using it to break free rusted/corroded lug nuts on a truck. He didn't last long in that house hold after that. Difference between inducing torque and breaking torque I would assume.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:57 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by klammer76
In theory I agree with what you are saying. However, I was always told by several mechanics that I have known not to use them as a breaker and over stress. Case in point, years ago, good friend lets his daughters boyfriend borrow his 1/2" digital tq wrench. Gets it back and the tq settings are off. Boyfriend goes for using it to break free rusted/corroded lug nuts on a truck. He didn't last long in that house hold after that. Difference between inducing torque and breaking torque I would assume.
Haha, I bet! Well, i have a proper breaker now so no worries, but hopefully it helps someone else.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:49 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,922 Likes on 4,017 Posts

Thanks boys. I looked around locally and of course no one had press blocks for sale. How does Harbor Freight not even have a small set? If anyone has suggestions on a kit, let me know please! So I dug deep into my “bought for one use” tool draw and found a 36mm socket that coincidentally just cleared the shaft of the hub, which was 1.3” diameter, and also made solid contact with the inner bearing race. Lubed it up with primary fluid and it pressed right in. Nice.

That compensator bolt was the bitch, because my breaker bar was only like 16” long. Even heating it to over 500 it seemed like it wouldn’t budge. Of course after practically crapping out my kidneys I muscled it off with that pee-wee breaker. I thought to myself “why didn’t you just use the 1/2” torque wrench sitting on the stand, you stupid idiot..”

Everything else was cake. Once I figured out the press issue and recovered consciousness from the breaker bar incident, everything else went together quick and easy. Reused the Carbonite clutch I got from FuelMoto, Buttoned it up, cleaned up and came into the AC and drank about 3 gallons of ice water. Garages in f***ing Florida summers with only a fan isn’t fun.

Didn’t get to test ride, but unless I screwed something up, there really shouldn’t be any difference. Just that this won’t eventually fly apart…

As usual, I suck at photos, but here’s all I got.

You went to a fancy clutch basket and didn't got to a bandit or scorpion?

Old 08-04-2021, 08:06 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
You went to a fancy clutch basket and didn't got to a bandit or scorpion?
What’s wrong in your opinion with the one I got?

Old 08-04-2021, 08:52 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,169 Likes on 3,357 Posts

What’s wrong in your opinion with the one I got?
I considered getting a Scorpion when I did the basket, but I actually like my clutch I have, now. The Muller slave with the HD 1275 springs, and AIM SDR actually works damn good for me. Has great feel and a nice, easy pull.
If I cook the stock plates that are still in there, I might try something different.

The following 3 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
lyork (01-02-2022), Max Headflow (08-04-2021), Mchad (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Ah, so it’s the actual clutch. I’m quite good with the carbonite clutch I got from Jamie @ FuelMoto.

The following users liked this post:
lyork (01-02-2022)
Old 09-10-2021, 05:36 PM
goblue90
Road Master
Received 348 Likes on 200 Posts

Thanks Redbeard and Mchad for contributing to this thread. I was experiencing excessive clutch basket wobbling so I ordered the evolution industries assembly from Fuel Moto. I received it today and found material still in 2 of the screw holes where the basket attaches to the ring gear. Should I be concerned? I've contacted Fuel Moto but am bummed bc I wanted to put the bike back together this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Best clutch basket?-photo801.jpg   Best clutch basket?-photo6.jpg  

Last edited by goblue90; 09-10-2021 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:54 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by goblue90
Thanks Redbeard and Mchad for contributing to this thread. I was experiencing excessive clutch basket wobbling so I ordered the evolution industries assembly from Fuel Moto. I received it today and found material still in 2 of the screw holes where the basket attaches to the pinion gears. Should I be concerned? I've contacted Fuel Moto but am bummed bc I wanted to put the bike back together this weekend.
Mine was fully assembled (basket came already mounted to ring gear plate, so all I had to do was press in my hub, so I can’t say I know exactly what you are referring to. But if you have to screw into there, then a quick chase with a tap would clear them out easy enough, right?

But wait for someone with more experience to chime in.

Edit: i think I see now. How flimsy is that flashing? If you can get a needle nose on it and pull it off, I’d do that. If it’s solid I’d leave it alone.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:59 PM
goblue90
Road Master
Received 348 Likes on 200 Posts

Thanks Mchad. Mine came fully assembled as well. Look at the pictures I uploaded vs the one u uploaded. You can see 2 areas that aren't coated and are bare metal. These are supposed to be the bottoms of the screw holes like the other 4 in the picture. The material seems to not have been fully drilled out. I would expect for the price of this, I wouldn't have to drill it out myself.

Quick Reply: Best clutch basket?