Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checked the crank position sensor today......

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 10:46 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts
Default Checked the crank position sensor today......

Welll, noticed my oil fluctuating a little on my dipstick in my 128 so I pulled the CPS and dropped about 11 ounces out, I really hated to see this! No signs of sumping or anything just the oil level moving some. This 128 build was done in December and during break in with Kendal conventional oil that FM put in there was no change on the dipstick for 1k miles. After break in I put Redline full synthetic oil in and noticed with in a few hundred miles some movement on the stick. I was told after my bike sumped bad when it was stage 2 to not run synthetic in it again and I didn’t until after the 128 build which I figured was good at that point. We put the newest HD 8 lobe pump in when they did the 128 also. Long story short, I’m going back to conventional oil and see how that plays out. I change my oil at 3k so conventional should be fine. I’m running Bel ray conventional primary oil in the primary now at the recommendation of FM so I’m just gonna go with bel ray mineral in the engine and belray 85/140 tranny oil. Bike is still running great, was just a little disappointed to see 11 ounces in the crank. Hopefully the mineral oil takes care of it, we’ll see.

The following users liked this post:
South107 (05-02-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 11:34 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Welll, noticed my oil fluctuating a little on my dipstick in my 128 so I pulled the CPS and dropped about 11 ounces out, I really hated to see this! No signs of sumping or anything just the oil level moving some. This 128 build was done in December and during break in with Kendal conventional oil that FM put in there was no change on the dipstick for 1k miles. After break in I put Redline full synthetic oil in and noticed with in a few hundred miles some movement on the stick. I was told after my bike sumped bad when it was stage 2 to not run synthetic in it again and I didn’t until after the 128 build which I figured was good at that point. We put the newest HD 8 lobe pump in when they did the 128 also. Long story short, I’m going back to conventional oil and see how that plays out. I change my oil at 3k so conventional should be fine. I’m running Bel ray conventional primary oil in the primary now at the recommendation of FM so I’m just gonna go with bel ray mineral in the engine and belray 85/140 tranny oil. Bike is still running great, was just a little disappointed to see 11 ounces in the crank. Hopefully the mineral oil takes care of it, we’ll see.

Just an interesting FYI.....

BelRay makes a transmission oil called BelRay GearSaver (80W) and they make BelRay V-Twin Primary Chaincase Lubricant... they are the same oil...

BelRay GearSaver was recommended to me by a tech I know several years ago for my primary.... When the primary fluid came out, he told me it was the same as the GearSaver oil, but more expensive. I wrote an email to BelRay telling them that I heard their V-Twin Primary Chaincase lubricant was the same as their GearSaver 80W trans oil, and asking if it was true... I however made a typo, and accidentally typed "Big Twin Trans oil" instead of "GearSaver trans oil"

This was their reply (circa 2017):

"What you heard was partially correct, but not entirely. The Big Twin Transmission Oil is the same as our Gear Saver Hypoid Gear oil 85W-140 and the Primary Chaincase Lubricant is the same as the Gear Saver Transmission oil 80W. So the Big Twin Transmission Oil is correct for a Harley-Davidson transmission case, but not for the primary. In the primary, a product like that would cause clutch slippage and poor shifting performance. So for the primary you want either the Gear Saver Transmission Oil 80W or the Primary Chaincase Lubricant, which is a formula that excels in wet clutch applications and performs very well at keeping the heat down in the primary. If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask."

I used to be able to get the GearSaver trans oil cheaper than the Primary Chaincase Lubricant... I stocked up on the GearsSaver trans oil at like $9.99/liter a few years ago... back then the Primary Chaincase Lubricant was $2 to $3/liter more expensive.... I haven't priced them lately..

Just thought I would share that info for your future reference...

Old 04-24-2021, 11:53 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,363 Likes on 5,501 Posts

If you drained 11 0z out of the CPS. your are sumping big time. 2 to a max of 6 oz. There can be more than one cause. Brand and type oil have nothing to do with sumping.
It could be oil pump or leaking cyl lub jets.
Sumping has nothing to do with primary or Transmission .

The following 3 users liked this post by smitty901:
FLTRI17 (06-26-2021), jmyrick (05-14-2021), Sam D. (04-25-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 12:03 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
If you drained 11 0z out of the CPS. your are sumping big time. 2 to a max of 6 oz. There can be more than one cause. Brand and type oil have nothing to do with sumping.
I sumped over 60 ounces when it was stage 2 so I know all about it, lol. Spoke with FM and the guy I talked to said 8-10 ounces was normal, I know HD says 6 so not sure

Old 04-24-2021, 12:45 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
I don’t have enough knowledge to make an argument either way on oil but can relay what was told to me by the experts at Feuling and S+S. When my bike initially sumped I reached out to those guys about their oil pumps. Both companies said the exact same thing on oil, which was if the bike sumps do not use synthetic oil in it going forward. How much of a part that plays I have no clue but according to them it does play a role or they would not recommend conventional after sumping. I’m gonna put conventional back in going forward and monitor what it’s doing and hope for the best. And I also know sumping has nothing to do with the tranny or primary, I just brought those up because I’m running belray in the primary and I just like to stick with one brand.

South107 (05-02-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 01:31 PM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 131 Posts

Check out Kevin Baxter on youtube to see his latest series on sumping. Great vids with great info.
Also on youtube, traveling tall had a sumping issue but not as much in depth info from zippers and Kevin's.

The following 2 users liked this post by Msquad:
Ddieselsmoke (04-26-2021), South107 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 07:31 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Msquad
Check out Kevin Baxter on youtube to see his latest series on sumping. Great vids with great info.
Also on youtube, traveling tall had a sumping issue but not as much in depth info from zippers and Kevin's.
Back when my bike sumped I read and watched so many videos it was nauseating! I’m gonna change the oil and ride like I always do and just monitor it. I have not experienced any excess heat or power loss or anything like that with this 128 so I hope it stays that way!

South107 (05-02-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 10:01 AM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 4,605 Likes on 3,219 Posts

Originally Posted by Msquad
Kevin Baxter is doing a tear down series of a sumping 128. It is very interesting and Kevin is a great teacher.

This video is part 3 of the series and was just posted 4/23/2021

The following 3 users liked this post by Hairy Larry:
Ddieselsmoke (04-26-2021), smitty901 (04-25-2021), South107 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 01:31 PM
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,814 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Hairy Larry
Kevin Baxter is doing a tear down series of a sumping 128. It is very interesting and Kevin is a great teacher.

This video is part 3 of the series and was just posted 4/23/2021
Ugh. I wonder if we'll ever know why some do this and most don't.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:34 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Interesting video, guess the 8 lobe pump in his 2020 didn’t solve the problem either huh? I don’t want to get all crazy again worrying about it but it does kinda suck after spending a lot of money on the 128 build and now feel like I need to walk on egg shells.

South107 (04-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Checked the crank position sensor today......