Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checked the crank position sensor today......

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 12:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,371 Likes on 4,780 Posts

wife and I average 30,000 combined a year..3000 mile OCIs would mean I'd be getting cancer from handling dirty motor oil that much

SYN at 5K is much more manageable and easier to keep track of

Old 05-13-2021, 12:48 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
wife and I average 30,000 combined a year..3000 mile OCIs would mean I'd be getting cancer from handling dirty motor oil that much

SYN at 5K is much more manageable and easier to keep track of
I’ve got about 20k on my cvo now so it’s definitely no garage queen, it’s not my only bike either so I have to share the love. With the scorching hot weather here I just can’t bring myself to run this huge air cooled v twin 5k on oil. Certainly not knocking anyone who does though. Been out riding all day today and running pretty hard, oil still exactly where it’s supposed to be so I’m very happy about that!

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 12:56 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,371 Likes on 4,780 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I’ve got about 20k on my cvo now so it’s definitely no garage queen, it’s not my only bike either so I have to share the love. With the scorching hot weather here I just can’t bring myself to run this huge air cooled v twin 5k on oil. Certainly not knocking anyone who does though. Been out riding all day today and running pretty hard, oil still exactly where it’s supposed to be so I’m very happy about that!
absolutely..no right or wrong or one size fits all approach..so many variables to consider and everyone needs to do what works best for their circumstances

The following users liked this post:
pgreer (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 12:59 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
absolutely..no right or wrong or one size fits all approach..so many variables to consider and everyone needs to do what works best for their circumstances
Yes sir, totally agree!

Old 06-18-2021, 11:47 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Well I’ve been riding this ol horse pretty hard since the switch back to conventional and it has not moved at all on the dipstick nor has there been any in the CPS. I feel safe at this point claiming victory against synthetic in MY bike, for what ever reason synthetic just does not seem to jive with my bike so it will be conventional only from here on out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Quik:
NorthWestern (06-18-2021), Softy 103 (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 05:43 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

I need to make a decision here soon, I have 600 miles on my Fuel Moto 128, about time to drop the Kendall Dino oil. I have some H-D 360, and some Mobil1 20-50 V-Twin, I just haven't decided which way to go yet. I am also one of those people who changes oil at 2500-3000 miles.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:47 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,262 Likes on 3,416 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103
I need to make a decision here soon, I have 600 miles on my Fuel Moto 128, about time to drop the Kendall Dino oil. I have some H-D 360, and some Mobil1 20-50 V-Twin, I just haven't decided which way to go yet. I am also one of those people who changes oil at 2500-3000 miles.
I went to Lucas 20w50 Synthetic on my FM 128. The valvetrain is quieter with the Lucas than it was with the Amsoil I have been using for years. No idea why, and I am not bagging on Amsoil, I still use it in everything else.
Nothing wrong with either choice of oils, as long as you change it like you should. I just like the synthetic.

I ran BelRay 20w50 conventional for 2 changes after the Kendall that FM put in after my dyno run. They all work fine.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:50 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,650 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I changed to Lucas 20w-50 synthetic on my last oil change a few weeks ago and agree that the valvetrain is quieter. I also changed the primary to HD 80w-140 gear oil for trans and primaries, designed for hot or cold extreme riding conditions. So far the primary is quieter and no problems with the clutch disengagement, but still running Redline Heavy shockproof in the trans. The shifting has improved significantly over Syn 20w-50 in the primary or trans.

I've never experienced oil consumption or sumpping. Hoping it stays that way. If not, I will give the conventional oil a try, but for now everything seems to be working better than it ever has.

I did try ATF in the primary, and while the clutch engagement felt better, the compensator was noisier.

Paul

Old 06-18-2021, 07:47 PM
SoCaRider
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by pgreer
I changed to Lucas 20w-50 synthetic on my last oil change a few weeks ago and agree that the valvetrain is quieter. I also changed the primary to HD 80w-140 gear oil for trans and primaries, designed for hot or cold extreme riding conditions. So far the primary is quieter and no problems with the clutch disengagement, but still running Redline Heavy shockproof in the trans. The shifting has improved significantly over Syn 20w-50 in the primary or trans.

I've never experienced oil consumption or sumpping. Hoping it stays that way. If not, I will give the conventional oil a try, but for now everything seems to be working better than it ever has.

I did try ATF in the primary, and while the clutch engagement felt better, the compensator was noisier.

Paul
I use the same and find all 3 holes work best with that combo, but I'm on a Softail so sumping has never been a issue

Old 06-19-2021, 07:36 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
I went to Lucas 20w50 Synthetic on my FM 128. The valvetrain is quieter with the Lucas than it was with the Amsoil I have been using for years. No idea why, and I am not bagging on Amsoil, I still use it in everything else.
Nothing wrong with either choice of oils, as long as you change it like you should. I just like the synthetic.

I ran BelRay 20w50 conventional for 2 changes after the Kendall that FM put in after my dyno run. They all work fine.

Yeah the only difference I can tell between the redline synthetic and belray conventional is the belray stays exactly where it’s supposed to and the redline was all over the dipstick and in the crank. I have no clue why that is but for whatever reason it has sworn me off from synthetic in this current 128, plus the pros with WAY more knowledge than me recommend conventional so I’m good with that.

Quick Reply: Checked the crank position sensor today......