Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checked the crank position sensor today......

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 07:24 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

I quit using synthetic in my bikes years ago.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:40 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Originally Posted by sandrooney
I quit using synthetic in my bikes years ago.
The only thing I run in my 3 vehicles since new is Mobil 1 so I’m not against synthetics but for by whatever reason my M8 doesn’t seem to play well with it (syn3 and redline) Since I change at 3k in my bike guess the extra cost of synthetic wasn’t really worth it anyway.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:20 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
The only thing I run in my 3 vehicles since new is Mobil 1 so I’m not against synthetics but for by whatever reason my M8 doesn’t seem to play well with it (syn3 and redline) Since I change at 3k in my bike guess the extra cost of synthetic wasn’t really worth it anyway.
All of the techs at my local HD dealership only run conventional in their personal bikes and most of their bikes have performance builds (i.e. 124/128 kits).

Old 05-11-2021, 08:36 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,371 Likes on 4,780 Posts

I'm not married to SYN in these, and never have been..but just playing the devil's advocate.....mentioning the recommendations of shops and tech service folks, etc...I think we at least need to include the manufacturer's knowledge of their engines and their credibility..after all, HD has been exclusively shipping CVOs with their SYN oil for nearly 20 years, and think of how many others have chosen it for their non-CVO bikes in that timeframe..I would think that is plenty long of a validation time period to have been able to determine if they believed it was detrimental to performance and longevity of their powertrains

Old 05-11-2021, 08:46 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
never used either in street bikes but grew up on Bel Ray and Spectro products for our dirt bikes...from amateurs to pros those two dominated the 2 stroke world and for good reason..they were time tested proven under the harshest conditions imaginable
Same experience here. I still use their products to date in my bikes. Spectrol in the crankcase and Belray in the transmission and primary. If it's worked for me this long I am not about ready to switch.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:50 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I'm not married to SYN in these, and never have been..but just playing the devil's advocate.....mentioning the recommendations of shops and tech service folks, etc...I think we at least need to include the manufacturer's knowledge of their engines and their credibility..after all, HD has been exclusively shipping CVOs with their SYN oil for nearly 20 years, and think of how many others have chosen it for their non-CVO bikes in that timeframe..I would think that is plenty long of a validation time period to have been able to determine if they believed it was detrimental to performance and longevity of their powertrains
Ive talked to Feuling and S+S numerous times on the phone about sumping and their oil pumps and both companies recommended convention oil to me, Feuling has it listed on their website. These 2 companies have vast knowledge and their opinion is good enough for me.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:56 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

And I’m not trying to convince anyone to agree with me or change what they run in their bike, that’s just never on my agenda. I’m just simply stating MY situation and what seems to be working for me. If you like synthetics, by all means run it.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:21 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,371 Likes on 4,780 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
And I’m not trying to convince anyone to agree with me or change what they run in their bike, that’s just never on my agenda. I’m just simply stating MY situation and what seems to be working for me. If you like synthetics, by all means run it.
oh I know..and I saw that Feuling tech tip long ago...I never would have switched to SYN from conventional after over 15 years of using conventional oil exclusively if wifey-poo hadn't bought a CVO, just got lazy carrying two kinds on long trips is all..and the fact that Harley has always stated HD360 is the preferred oil for normal use in all non cvo bikes also says something...either one works and protects just fine in different applications

Old 05-11-2021, 10:29 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,650 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I believe some of the oil recommendation from OEM's comes from chasing the EPA fuel standards by using an oil that flows with less effort. Not to mention getting oil flowing to critical parts during startup faster. Same with the newer cars and their oil and tire recommendations.

Having ridden older bikes, primarily Shovelheads and EVOs, for lots of miles in unbearable heat with conventional oil and no wear problems on bearings etc, I can't imagine it doesn't protect about as well as long as it is changed regularly and likely earlier than synthetic. Instead of the 5k change interval, as some have suggested, 3k sounds good.

I'm still running synthetic in my M8, but have considered changing to conventional and after seeing that both S&S and Fueling as well as Fuelmoto recommend it, I'll likely make the change in the near future. Just purchased oil for the next change, so it will be after that.

Paul

Old 05-13-2021, 11:43 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

My 2017 RK is an early build 8/16. I've been running 360 20w50w and Formula+ since bike was new. I've got 48k + miles with no issues. I run the snot out of this bike and this Harley is the most reliable Bike I've ever owned. I expect it to go at least 100k before a top end. I just hope gas will be available cause I still have a lot of years of riding to do and electric ain't my thing.

Quick Reply: Checked the crank position sensor today......