2021 CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021 | 07:55 PM
cycle7447
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default 2021 CB Radio

Hello everyone.

I am moving from a 2014 Ultra to a 2021 Ultra. Bike is still at the dealership - we are putting a few things on.

At first, my wife and I decided to not get the CB or XM - figured most of the talking was between us - and, we could always move to wireless headsets. Then I remembered, we had some Harley points, over $500 so we may go for it. We called the dealer service guy and asked how much to install - just $100 but he said Harley is moving away from the CB.

Then I checks the parts on line. Looks like you can get a cb for the 2021 -but, there is not an antenna. I figured this was wrong - so, I looked at the CVO and discovered they have not=w moved the CB from the CVO. Anyone with a 2021get the CB?

Also have to consider, we would need the PTT switch, antenna, etc. Maybe we should stay away. We would be looking at over $1000 and could get two nice wireless for about $525

Old 01-27-2021 | 02:07 AM
bellmnbell
Advanced

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Hello everyone.

I am moving from a 2014 Ultra to a 2021 Ultra. Bike is still at the dealership - we are putting a few things on.

At first, my wife and I decided to not get the CB or XM - figured most of the talking was between us - and, we could always move to wireless headsets. Then I remembered, we had some Harley points, over $500 so we may go for it. We called the dealer service guy and asked how much to install - just $100 but he said Harley is moving away from the CB.

Then I checks the parts on line. Looks like you can get a cb for the 2021 -but, there is not an antenna. I figured this was wrong - so, I looked at the CVO and discovered they have not=w moved the CB from the CVO. Anyone with a 2021get the CB?

Also have to consider, we would need the PTT switch, antenna, etc. Maybe we should stay away. We would be looking at over $1000 and could get two nice wireless for about $525
2020 Road Glide Limited - Had the CB, WHIM, PTT button & “CB” antenna (antenna is same as AM/FM) installed and flashed. I also ride with the Sena 50R.

I wish I had not installed the WHIM, because it’s rendered the hardwired headset useless, in the event you want to use that setup. There’s no way to return to the factory setup, unless the WHIM is physically disconnected & flashed from the ECM. Also, the Sena mesh cannot remain connected to the BOOM if you want to use the CB, I have to disable the wireless connectivity from the WHIM to the Sena so the Boom can connect the CB wirelessly. In short, a total pain in the ***! I wanted CB for Chapter rides & Run For The Wall, but the Sena Mesh is so much more simple and functional. Just don’t get the WHIM!

Old 01-27-2021 | 05:14 AM
cycle7447
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Bellmnbell - thanks - you have provided some great/useful information.

You mentioned that the antenna is the AM/FM antenna - that is different from previous years. How is your reception.

So, by adding the WHIM you lost the hardwired headset - wow, thanks this tells me that I am not adding the WHIM. Wife and I were talking last night and even though we may go wireless, we want the ability to keep the hardwired headsets.

Curious, what made you choose the Sena 50R over the Harley headset - and, would it have made any difference. I read that the Sena is not stereo where as the Harley is. I never listen to music in my headsets - but do want to make sure if my wife is talking to me, I have that in both ears.

Old 01-27-2021 | 06:46 AM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by bellmnbell
2020 Road Glide Limited - Had the CB, WHIM, PTT button & “CB” antenna (antenna is same as AM/FM) installed and flashed. I also ride with the Sena 50R.

I wish I had not installed the WHIM, because it’s rendered the hardwired headset useless, in the event you want to use that setup. There’s no way to return to the factory setup, unless the WHIM is physically disconnected & flashed from the ECM. Also, the Sena mesh cannot remain connected to the BOOM if you want to use the CB, I have to disable the wireless connectivity from the WHIM to the Sena so the Boom can connect the CB wirelessly. In short, a total pain in the ***! I wanted CB for Chapter rides & Run For The Wall, but the Sena Mesh is so much more simple and functional. Just don’t get the WHIM!
On my 2018 FLHTK, I unplugged the WHIM and the wired headsets worked normally without re-flashing. You might give it a try if you want to use the normal headsets again. I unplugged my WHIM and never looked back.

Old 01-27-2021 | 08:29 AM
Bloody Marvelous
Road Captain

Bellmnbell - thanks - you have provided some great/useful information.

You mentioned that the antenna is the AM/FM antenna - that is different from previous years. How is your reception.

So, by adding the WHIM you lost the hardwired headset - wow, thanks this tells me that I am not adding the WHIM. Wife and I were talking last night and even though we may go wireless, we want the ability to keep the hardwired headsets.

Curious, what made you choose the Sena 50R over the Harley headset - and, would it have made any difference. I read that the Sena is not stereo where as the Harley is. I never listen to music in my headsets - but do want to make sure if my wife is talking to me, I have that in both ears.
The 50R uses Mesh technology, the Harley set is (I believe) the 20S. Mesh is far easier in use as it automatically reconnects without the need to pair the units again.
I don't personally have any experience with the 50R. I tried the 20S, and didn't much care for it. I use the Cardo Packtalk, and that works pretty much flawless.

Old 01-27-2021 | 08:41 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by bellmnbell

CB antenna p/n = 76386-09A

AM/FM antenna p/n = 76388-08

They are not the same part and are both $29.95 each and both "shorty" antennas...

CB Whip Antenna 76250-09

Last edited by bradsULtd; 01-27-2021 at 09:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Eccool (08-19-2021)
Old 01-27-2021 | 08:43 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Hello everyone.

There is an antenna...see above post and below links...

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Boom-Audio-Shorty-CB-Antenna/p/76386-09A

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Boom-Audio-Shorty-AM-FM-Antenna/p/76388-08

Last edited by bradsULtd; 01-27-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2021 | 09:06 AM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

You can buy all the CB parts from New Castle HD and install it yourself for less than $500. Then whatever the dealer charges to flash your radio.

CB module Part # 76000486A
Fits '14-later FLHTCU, FLHTCUL, FLHTCUTG and FLTRU, '17-later FLHTK and FLHTKL, and '20-later FLTRK models with a Boom! Box audio system. Requires separate purchase of Shorty CB Antenna P/N 76386-09A or Whip Antenna 76250-09 and Mounting Stud P/N 76000166. Also requires P/N 71500130C for '14-later models.

Here is a guy selling his CB
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-for-sale.html

Old 01-27-2021 | 10:20 PM
bellmnbell
Advanced

Originally Posted by bradsULtd
CB antenna p/n = 76386-09A

AM/FM antenna p/n = 76388-08

They are not the same part and are both $29.95 each and both "shorty" antennas...

CB Whip Antenna 76250-09

Dealer installed CB and antenna. Note CB antenna part number

I asked the Service Writer and he swears that’s the antenna to be used (I don’t believe it). The Dealership owner is cool and will help if I raise the question. I hate Dealership antics!

Old 01-27-2021 | 10:30 PM
MedicineBow
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

There's no way the CB antenna and radio antennas are the same. Cb's operate in the HF range at 26/27 Mhz. The wavelength is much longer than the one's for vhf reception. The high swr of the radio antenna used on a cb would likely fry the finals if used.

I installed the cb for around 500 dollars as it was fairly straight forward. Are the 2021 models not pre-wired for the cb module?

The following users liked this post:
cvosjoe (08-08-2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 CB Radio