Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021 | 07:14 AM
fifty wt
Intermediate

I had an 2002 Ultra that came with the CB so I was used to it when I purchased a 2019 Limited. Most of the group I ride with had CB's so I had it installed. Although the new CB didn't reach out as far as the "02", I just used the phone to connect if we were too far apart. About a week ago I purchased an CB upgrade kit from J&M that adds a better ground which as my mechanic explained to me that a motorcycle does not have as much ground as a car does, which creates a problem. Once I installed it I noticed a big difference in how far the CB reached out.

Old 05-04-2021 | 07:21 AM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by emandem63
Thanks for all the info below guys - one question I can't find the answer for (and the Manual doesn't seem to give it to me) is PTT for the rider on a 2021 UL. The right switch block USED to have the PTT/Squelch button on it but no longer. The HD dealer guy told me the Voice Activation switch on the left switch block is now the Rider's PTT???? Any help on this one appreciated.......
You need to find a HD dealer guy who has a clue....

Fits '14-later FLHTCU, FLHTCUL, FLHTCUTG and FLTRU, '17-later FLHTK and FLHTKL, '20-later FLTRK and '21-later FLHTKSE models with a Boom!™ Box audio system. Requires separate purchase of Shorty CB Antenna P/N 76386-09A or Whip Antenna 76250-09 and Mounting Stud P/N 76000166. Also requires P/N 71500130C for '14-later models.
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Sold Seperately: CB Antenna, Switch Pack, PTT Button
Sold In Units: Each
In the Box: CB module, installation bracket and hardware
Volume: :
Weight Capacity: :
WARRANTY: 1 year limited warranty – Go to www.h-d.com/warranty for full details
  • 2014 and later Touring and Trike models without a PTT button: Separate purchase of right hand control module (Part No. 71500130C) is required for this installation.

Old 05-04-2021 | 07:52 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by biglew55
You need to find a HD dealer guy who has a clue....

Fits '14-later FLHTCU, FLHTCUL, FLHTCUTG and FLTRU, '17-later FLHTK and FLHTKL, '20-later FLTRK and '21-later FLHTKSE models with a Boom!™ Box audio system. Requires separate purchase of Shorty CB Antenna P/N 76386-09A or Whip Antenna 76250-09 and Mounting Stud P/N 76000166. Also requires P/N 71500130C for '14-later models.
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Sold Seperately: CB Antenna, Switch Pack, PTT Button
Sold In Units: Each
In the Box: CB module, installation bracket and hardware
Volume: :
Weight Capacity: :
WARRANTY: 1 year limited warranty – Go to www.h-d.com/warranty for full details
  • 2014 and later Touring and Trike models without a PTT button: Separate purchase of right hand control module (Part No. 71500130C) is required for this installation.
Those are very hard to find.

The following users liked this post:
biglew55 (05-04-2021)
Old 06-07-2021 | 06:37 PM
ConfuciusSay
Banned

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Bellmnbell - thanks - you have provided some great/useful information.

You mentioned that the antenna is the AM/FM antenna - that is different from previous years. How is your reception.

So, by adding the WHIM you lost the hardwired headset - wow, thanks this tells me that I am not adding the WHIM. Wife and I were talking last night and even though we may go wireless, we want the ability to keep the hardwired headsets.

Curious, what made you choose the Sena 50R over the Harley headset - and, would it have made any difference. I read that the Sena is not stereo where as the Harley is. I never listen to music in my headsets - but do want to make sure if my wife is talking to me, I have that in both ears.
Huh?

Just busting your chops. Here's the real question-I have a 14 Limited. I just bought a 20 Limited. I took the CB module out of the 14 and put it in the 20. Can I take the right side switch pack out of the 14 and put it in the 20 or do I need a new switch pack? I would replace the one in the 14 with the take off from the 20. Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-07-2021 | 07:39 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

XM is great as long as you move the antenna to the outside of the fairing. Ours is right of the vent just behind the windshield. We use it a lot!

I have never turned the CB on with the last two bikes I have owned. In my opinion if you are going to wear headsets just use something really good like Cardo Packtalk and they work great for streaming music, listening to WAZE and communication with passenger and bike to bike.

Congratulations on the new bike!

Old 06-09-2021 | 08:06 AM
fifty wt
Intermediate

If you do decide to go with the CB, in order to get better performance out of it you can purchase a CB upgrade kit from J&M corporation. As is the CB is OK, but it needs a better ground in order to get extra distance out of it. The kit grounds the CB to the frame in two different places the way it should have came from the factory. Without the ground if we had nine bikes, we may or may not be able to communicate. After the ground strap, I was still able to communicate with him when I couldn't even see him. It extends it to 3/4 mile of further. BTW we both have 19 Limited. Here is the part # CBAU-HU14 -- J&M 40 CH CB antenna system upgrade kit for 2014-2020 Harley Ultra $139.99. If you don't ride with a large group you may be ok, but if you looking to get the most out of your CB check this kit out.

The following users liked this post:
bradsULtd (06-09-2021)
Old 06-11-2021 | 12:02 AM
emandem63
Stage II

I bought a 2021 Limited and then had to order the CB, right switch pack, aerial and stud. You can order all parts. I can supply part number if you need them. You will also have to have the bike flashed as the Boom won't recognise it without it. Fitting all in 3 weeks time.....

Old 06-13-2021 | 06:18 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ConfuciusSay
Huh?

Just busting your chops. Here's the real question-I have a 14 Limited. I just bought a 20 Limited. I took the CB module out of the 14 and put it in the 20. Can I take the right side switch pack out of the 14 and put it in the 20 or do I need a new switch pack? I would replace the one in the 14 with the take off from the 20. Any help is appreciated.
Should work fine. Just need to change the switch caps for the info/return (turn signal cap) because the GTS & GT units have different menu systems.

Old 08-03-2021 | 08:59 AM
AzBlu
Advanced

I moved the CB module from my 16 RGU to my 2020 RGL and had the dealer flash the radio twice. But, I still get an error message indicating no cb module found. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 08-04-2021 | 09:32 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by AzBlu
I moved the CB module from my 16 RGU to my 2020 RGL and had the dealer flash the radio twice. But, I still get an error message indicating no cb module found. Anyone have any suggestions?
Take it to a different dealer that knows what they're doing. And don't leave the dealer until they demonstrate to you that the CB flash has been done correctly.

Quick Reply: 2021 CB Radio