Sponsored by:

S&S 124 Dyno Run

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 08:00 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts
Default S&S 124 Dyno Run

I put my bike in a Dyno Shootout this past weekend to see what my numbers are. It was a 4th gear run. Compared to a lot of the dyno sheets I've seen on here, the TQ seems pretty low (about 10-15) but I think the curve is great. I started out with a crappy base tune from DJ and ran 6-8 autotunes and then tweaked the VE and timing tables a few times. I capped the tune a few times then scaled it. The bike runs and sounds great and if I had a complaint, it would be the MPG are about 29-31 on the highway. But I'm not complaining.
2017 FLHTK: 124 S&S BB kit, S&S 475 Cam, SE 5.5 Injectors, SE Aluminum Intake, Target Tune, FM head pipe, FM Jackpots with inserts, and a set of stock heads off of a 2019 (it liked to smoke on cold start ups and NTO's were cheaper).

The following users liked this post:
jammerx (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:00 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,262 Likes on 4,437 Posts

Originally Posted by fordhd2005

I put my bike in a Dyno Shootout this past weekend to see what my numbers are. It was a 4th gear run. Compared to a lot of the dyno sheets I've seen on here, the TQ seems pretty low (about 10-15) but I think the curve is great.
Typically, from what I've read, you want to make dyno runs at a 1:1 ratio, or as close as possible... with an HD 6 speed trans, that is typically 6th gear. However, if you have a bike with a speed limiter or low speed rated tires, runs will be made in 5th gear....

Because you were participating in a "Dyno Shoot Out", they may have made all runs in 4th gear, figuring that would be the closest "apples to apples" comparison between the many varied transmissions and gear ratios involved...

Your 4th gear run, will read lower than your bike on a dyno in 5th or 6th gear... I don't know how to calculate what the difference would be.

Don't get too hung up on the dyno sheet comparisons.... if you like the curve, the seat of the pants feel, and it doesn't have detonation... you should be fine...

If you want max power output from your mods, you will have to find a competent dyno tuner, and let them tune it on a dyno... You'll never know how much, or how little, power you are leaving on the table, until you do this...

Enjoy....!!

PS- for your reading pleasure..

https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...n-dyno-charts/

Last edited by hattitude; 01-11-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:36 PM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,131 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Why’d you go with heads off of a 2019

Old 01-11-2021, 06:21 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Realizing reading comprehension isn't your thing ill help you out ironhead96. He said the bike smoked on cold start ups and the 2019 take off heads were the cheaper option. Your welcome.

Last edited by Screamin beagle; 01-11-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Duracell (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 10:20 AM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,131 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Realizing reading comprehension isn't your thing ill help you out ironhead96. He said the bike smoked on cold start ups and the 2019 take off heads were the cheaper option. Your welcome.
GFYM

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironworker69:
FLSTFI Dave (01-13-2021), johndoe297 (02-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 11:39 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Typically, from what I've read, you want to make dyno runs at a 1:1 ratio, or as close as possible... with an HD 6 speed trans, that is typically 6th gear. However, if you have a bike with a speed limiter or low speed rated tires, runs will be made in 5th gear....

Because you were participating in a "Dyno Shoot Out", they may have made all runs in 4th gear, figuring that would be the closest "apples to apples" comparison between the many varied transmissions and gear ratios involved...

Your 4th gear run, will read lower than your bike on a dyno in 5th or 6th gear... I don't know how to calculate what the difference would be.

Don't get too hung up on the dyno sheet comparisons.... if you like the curve, the seat of the pants feel, and it doesn't have detonation... you should be fine...

If you want max power output from your mods, you will have to find a competent dyno tuner, and let them tune it on a dyno... You'll never know how much, or how little, power you are leaving on the table, until you do this...

Enjoy....!!

PS- for your reading pleasure..

https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...n-dyno-charts/
Always wondered if someone has the target tune, does that negate the need for a professional tune? Doesn't the target tune constantly read the o2 sensors and make the needed adjustments?

OP I will say. I ran this cam in a stock 107 with a canned map from FM. Bike ran very good, but I eventually had it tuned by a good local indy. The canned map setup got me poor gas mileage as you are experiencing. Not as low as you of course given you have the 124, but still quite a bit lower than stock. Also there seemed to be a smell of gas, so both together seemed to indicate the bike was running much to rich. Once the tuner got it, gas mileage went back up some....45 mpg pretty much on average, and the gas smell was gone. Not really sure how much I gained from canned map versus a pro tune, but it was some improvement.

bpav16 (02-13-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 04:07 PM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

I went ahead and had it Dyno'd and ended up with 132 HP and 145 TQ. I will know if it helped my MPG by the end of the weekend.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:31 PM
Bloody Marvelous
Road Captain
Received 282 Likes on 182 Posts

A properly tuned bike will run more efficient than one running off of a canned map (even one as good as Fuel Moto's), so your mpg's should improve if you don't change your riding habits.

A performance motor will use more fuel than a stock motor at low speeds and in stop-and-go traffic, but it will use less fuel at higher speeds and highway riding. Overall, on average, it'll probably even out, and the difference won't be all that much, assuming you're riding the bike the same of course.

But honestly, if you're getting a big bore engine, fuel economy is probably not front of mind for you. You don't get a bigger engine to get better mileage, you get one for better performance. If you're not gonna use the extra performance, you should have kept it stock and not spent all that money.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:56 PM
johndoe297
Road Master
Received 765 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
*You're... I guess spelling isn't your "thing". You're welcome.

Old 02-13-2021, 04:33 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by fordhd2005
I went ahead and had it Dyno'd and ended up with 132 HP and 145 TQ. I will know if it helped my MPG by the end of the weekend.
Unless you change your riding style I would not expect much of a change in mileage. Typically it drops due to the fun factor after getting a good tune, after a few tanks you settle back to your old riding style then you can check the mileage.

Quick Reply: S&S 124 Dyno Run