Sponsored by:

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 12:10 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Dead Battery

Well my battery died at a gas station bike wouldn't start. Progressive insurance roadside assistance was a bad experience! Ended up getting a tow from a friends trailor after waiting over two hours for progressive.

Anyway I bought a different battery charger an Optimate3 because I think my old charger cooked the battery it was about 4 years old and I usauslly got 7-8 years out of the HD battery. Got a new HD battery and she fired right up. My suggestion for anyone would be to check their battery tenders this optimate3 does a lot of different cycles to keep the battery charged properly, we'll see. Anyone else using the Optimate3? Wondering if the new HD batteries can still last up to 8 years or not.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:45 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,700 Likes on 11,264 Posts

I’m not familiar with that device. But, you battery should not be connected to a “charger” for a long period. That’s what a battery tender is for, such as this one:”

Battery Tender Weatherproof Charger and Maintainer: Automatic 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycle, ATV, and Personal Watercraft - 12 Volt, 800mA Battery Float Charger - 022-0150-DL-WH
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-22-2020, 01:02 PM
listentothenighttrain
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I’m not familiar with that device. But, you battery should not be connected to a “charger” for a long period. That’s what a battery tender is for, such as this one:”

Battery Tender Weatherproof Charger and Maintainer: Automatic 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycle, ATV, and Personal Watercraft - 12 Volt, 800mA Battery Float Charger - 022-0150-DL-WH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007X4S3XM..._rMvqFb5QPP0AK
It says right on the device it does 12V at .8aH and it has a "maintain" mode

Old 08-22-2020, 07:38 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

I've been using the Honda branded Optimate 3 for 5-6 years with out an issue. I like the idea it runs a test after the battery is topped off to give me fair warning if the battery is starting to fail. Not sure if it works, I have yet to have a battery fail.

Most modern battery "chargers" have a maintenance mode that kicks in once the battery is charged, same thing as a "tender".

Last edited by Sparkee...; 08-22-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:43 PM
JSoko
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
I've been using the Honda branded Optimate 3 for 5-6 years with out an issue. I like the idea it runs a test after the battery is topped off to give me fair warning if the battery is starting to fail. Not sure if it works, I have yet to have a battery fail.

Most modern battery "chargers" have a maintenance mode that kicks in once the battery is charged, same thing as a "tender".
I use this one and love it. Even does my lithium.

NOCO GENIUS5, 5-Amp...
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-23-2020, 02:22 AM
Mart
Road Master
Received 419 Likes on 292 Posts

I've used the Optimate 3 for 3 or 4 yrs now. No battery problems. I can never remember what all the light sequences mean, but it works and I leave it to it.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:36 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

I carry an anti gravity booster all the time also. If I don't start the booster gets me going np.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:47 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,827 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by vonh12
I carry an anti gravity booster all the time also. If I don't start the booster gets me going np.
Just looked those up, pretty cool. Man, there is no limit to the crap we can load our bags with, is there?

As for the OP, I am still just using the old standard, the Battery Tender, bike stays on it while in the garage. Have not had an issue with this, or my other AGM bike batteries, yet.

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...nior-12V-0-75A

Old 08-23-2020, 11:15 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Just looked those up, pretty cool. Man, there is no limit to the crap we can load our bags with, is there?

As for the OP, I am still just using the old standard, the Battery Tender, bike stays on it while in the garage. Have not had an issue with this, or my other AGM bike batteries, yet.

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...nior-12V-0-75A
This is what I used and the HD battery that came in the new 17 RK lasted 4 years. My other HD batteries got 7-8 years?
https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-TenderR-Plus

Old 08-23-2020, 02:43 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,827 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by SomeOld Biker
This is what I used and the HD battery that came in the new 17 RK lasted 4 years. My other HD batteries got 7-8 years?
https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-TenderR-Plus
Man, I am not sure. Maybe the batts just aren't as good? 4 years, I change it anyway. I go to damn far from home and civilization.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery