Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless CarPlay Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021 | 10:37 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

Been using one on my 2020 Jeep Cherokee for 10 months. A bit buggy, but for the most part it works. Heard that they now work with Harley GTS and ordered one 3-4 weeks ago. It's been sitting in Melrose, Ill. for 2 weeks.

Old 06-29-2021 | 11:40 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Been using one on my 2020 Jeep Cherokee for 10 months. A bit buggy, but for the most part it works. Heard that they now work with Harley GTS and ordered one 3-4 weeks ago. It's been sitting in Melrose, Ill. for 2 weeks.
I have the module, but I erroneously had the bike flashed to a WHIM when I installed the bypass plug thing. Now I need to swing by and have it un-flashed.

Old 07-24-2021 | 07:05 AM
Former USMC
Cruiser
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Greetings,

Any update regarding your CPlay2air? I received mine the other day...plugged it into my car and it worked perfectly...however, cannot get it to work on my 2019 SGS with WHIM installed...does not show up on the Boom Box screen (it does show "reading it for music files" and then states, no files found). No joy...thoughts?

Semper Fi

Old 07-24-2021 | 12:13 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

No luck yet.

Old 07-24-2021 | 08:47 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

I got 2 of these from:
https://cplay2air.com
Ordered them and 5 days later they were on the porch. Put one in my 2016 RGU with GTS and the other in my 11yr old Silverado w/ a Kenwood.
Both work great, set up was easy, the instruction on the back of the box is a lot easier to read and make sense out of than the little paper thats included... now CarPlay automatically connects w/o phone plugged in.
The site says its compatible with Harley Davidson 2019-2021, so that would be the GTS I would assume.
I have WHIM enabled, but do not have it installed, and mic disabled. If I have a headset on, which is rare, I push the VR button and it does what its told (makes calls, send texts, etc). Basically it behaves exactly like it did when I'd "plug it in".

Last edited by Ssitruc; 07-24-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2021 | 09:24 PM
Former USMC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
I got 2 of these from:
https://cplay2air.com
Ordered them and 5 days later they were on the porch. Put one in my 2016 RGU with GTS and the other in my 11yr old Silverado w/ a Kenwood.
Both work great, set up was easy, the instruction on the back of the box is a lot easier to read and make sense out of than the little paper thats included... now CarPlay automatically connects w/o phone plugged in.
The site says its compatible with Harley Davidson 2019-2021, so that would be the GTS I would assume.
I have WHIM enabled, but do not have it installed, and mic disabled. If I have a headset on, which is rare, I push the VR button and it does what its told (makes calls, send texts, etc). Basically it behaves exactly like it did when I'd "plug it in".
Ssitruc,

Yes, but do you have have a Sena 30K on your helmet?

What is a VR button?

I have a '19 SGS, WHIM and a Sena 30K and theCPlay2Air and it does not connect...do you have a Sena 30K (Harley model)? The CarPlay works on mine however it does not see the CPlan2Air.

Semper Fi

Semper Fi

Old 07-25-2021 | 08:20 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

I did not see where wireless headsets or WHIM was mentioned before, sorry if I jumped in on the wrong issue, I thought the issue was generally about getting CarPlay to work wirelessly with this particular module(CPlay2Air) and the GTS head unit.

Do you have the GTS head unit?

I wouldn't think WHIM was the issue though, but...
I do not have a wireless headset, and I do not have a WHIM module installed (just have WHIM enabled in the GTS's setup, and had the mic disabled).
The VR button is the Voice Recognition button (on the left turn signal button), and when I have a headset plugged in and push and release the VR button it is listening for a command and does what it asked.

Remember the bike won't "see" or pair with the module, the module make the bike think that the module is your phone that is plugged in.
The BT pairing that happens is between your phone and the module. So have BT settings on your phone open, then turn the bike on with the module plugged in.
Be patient, and when you see on the stereo it says "connecting" at the bottom of that dialog screen, and its a screen you don't normally see on the GTS, after several seconds of this it should show on the right side of that screen your phone's name.
I tapped my phone's name on that screen (telling it that is the right phone) and on my phone I told it "yes" to pair with the module (got the little pop up on the phone asking if I wanted to pair with the module).

Also, you have to have BT and Wireless Networks enabled on the phone. the module uses BT to connect to the phone initially, then it switches to wireless for its communication with the phone. If you don't have both enabled it won't work.

My truck was a little trickier to get it all paired up, but I think that was due to my lack of patience, I wasn't waiting. When that screen kicks up on the stereo that says "searching" at the bottom, it can take a bit, maybe 30 seconds or longer for it to find my phone. And once I clicked on my phone's name that popped up on the right half of the dialog screen on the stereo it took a while longer, maybe another 30 seconds. Now when I start my bike it does it all on its own, and takes up to a minute sometimes, but usually 30 seconds or less. The truck was cantankerous at first, but now it pairs totally behind the scene, and the CarPlay icon is there by the time the stereo's warning screens clear themselves (damn Kenwood has the same disclaimer screens as the GTS..)

Last edited by Ssitruc; 07-25-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2021 | 09:27 AM
Former USMC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
I did not see where wireless headsets or WHIM was mentioned before, sorry if I jumped in on the wrong issue, I thought the issue was generally about getting CarPlay to work wirelessly with this particular module(CPlay2Air) and the GTS head unit.

Do you have the GTS head unit?

I wouldn't think WHIM was the issue though, but...
I do not have a wireless headset, and I do not have a WHIM module installed (just have WHIM enabled in the GTS's setup, and had the mic disabled).
The VR button is the Voice Recognition button (on the left turn signal button), and when I have a headset plugged in and push and release the VR button it is listening for a command and does what it asked.

Remember the bike won't "see" or pair with the module, the module make the bike think that the module is your phone that is plugged in.
The BT pairing that happens is between your phone and the module. So have BT settings on your phone open, then turn the bike on with the module plugged in.
Be patient, and when you see on the stereo it says "connecting" at the bottom of that dialog screen, and its a screen you don't normally see on the GTS, after several seconds of this it should show on the right side of that screen your phone's name.
I tapped my phone's name on that screen (telling it that is the right phone) and on my phone I told it "yes" to pair with the module (got the little pop up on the phone asking if I wanted to pair with the module).

Also, you have to have BT and Wireless Networks enabled on the phone. the module uses BT to connect to the phone initially, then it switches to wireless for its communication with the phone. If you don't have both enabled it won't work.

My truck was a little trickier to get it all paired up, but I think that was due to my lack of patience, I wasn't waiting. When that screen kicks up on the stereo that says "searching" at the bottom, it can take a bit, maybe 30 seconds or longer for it to find my phone. And once I clicked on my phone's name that popped up on the right half of the dialog screen on the stereo it took a while longer, maybe another 30 seconds. Now when I start my bike it does it all on its own, and takes up to a minute sometimes, but usually 30 seconds or less. The truck was cantankerous at first, but now it pairs totally behind the scene, and the CarPlay icon is there by the time the stereo's warning screens clear themselves (damn Kenwood has the same disclaimer screens as the GTS..)
Thank you for your reply...since your system works without the WHIM...I'm wondering if that's the issue. I have a WHIM installed and flashed by the dealer...I've tried 5-6 times...all my GTS does is read the file and then states, NO PLAYABLE MEDIA FOUND...I've also left Bluetooth and WiFI on and tried leaving it off...still does the same thing. It does work in my car - seamlessly. The CPLAY company sent me an update for the dongle...I successfully updated the dongle, but it still would not work...my 2019 SGS and CarPlay works when i plug my iPhone in the USB port.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Former USMC; 07-25-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2021 | 11:12 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

I would think that your GTS is seeing something plugged in, thinking its a usb or media device and is doing a search of it.
Just being sure here, as I'm sure you tried everything, but just ignore the GTS and just let it work that part out, wait it out, till its done with that media search, then maybe it'll get on to the next thing, maybe.

I sat my phone on the seat while doing this, if I throw it in the saddle bag before it gets all linked up, seems like it has trouble getting going, but after its linked its not a problem.

Have BT & WIFI enabled on your phone, with your phone open to the BT settings screen (makes it discoverable and its looking for something to pair to) and turn on the ignition and let it work out the media search thing if it does that. Also, the module shows up in the phone's BT settings with an odd name too (one of mine is HOME-1738 and the other is H-D-OEA5). I'd give it at least a several minutes (3-4) AFTER the media search thing is over for this screen shows up, it is not instant. Also, try clicking on the module in the phone's BT settings if you see something new in there.

When you get that odd screen finally, just wait and see if the Phone and the CPlay2Air module try to pair. When they're trying to pair thats when you'll get this odd screen on the GTS and it says "searching" at the bottom (its actually from the module, not the head unit), and when it finally sees your phone (could be another couple minutes) touched you phone's name on the right half of the GTS's screen and I think you get a pair option on your phone.

Once setup is done and it does it, you're all good, it seems to be quick and automatic after that. Only issue I have had with mine, after setting it up initially, sometimes it was having trouble connecting if I put the phone in the saddle bag before it got connected... but once the carPlay icon replaces the phone icon on the stereo's home screen I can throw the phone in the saddle bag and it not an issue.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 07-25-2021 at 11:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IzzoQuazzo (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021 | 02:31 PM
Former USMC
Cruiser

Ssitruc,

I'll give it another try...thanks.

Semper Fi

UPDATE - Tried for 20 mins...no joy...the GTS read the dongle three times and again stated, No Playable Media Found...

Last edited by Former USMC; 07-25-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay Question