Sponsored by:

fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020 | 07:59 PM
Redrodyankneck
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default fog light question

My bike has no passing lamps. 2019 FLHXS Is the wiring for the passing lamps behind the fairing? if it is can I use this to power up fog lights that I would like to install. I believe that I would have to buy a button for the switch pack 71400044. Is the left most switch on the left side switch pack for the passing lamps?
Lastly what is the power rating of this switch position?
This would be easier that using the aux power molex plug under the left side panel and I would not have to buy that 135.00 harness.

Old 05-04-2020 | 08:12 PM
ntg433
Cruiser
Default Yes the wiring is there

If you look underneath you should find a blue and black wire with plugs on each side for the passing lamps. It’s not necessary to remove the fairing. On the bike that I added lamps to, the wires were visible after removing the side plates. I added a switch to the bank under the shroud on the left side, there’s a dummy switch in it’s place. There is a plug that connects to the switch to control the lamps. The shroud is now split so you don’t have to remove the ignition switch to get to the bank that holds the switches. Just cover tank and wiggle out to add the switch.

Last edited by ntg433; 05-04-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2020 | 09:45 PM
coop creek
Road Captain

remove the two acorn nuts and remove the right front turn signal assembly. you will see a wiring connector. disconnect the connector and insert one end of wiring harness 69201109 between the connector halves. run the wiring harness down the frame, the other end coils up behind the oil cooler. the wires from the fog lamps (68000092, black) run along the bottom of the crash bar and plug into the other end of the wiring behind the oil cooler. Dash panel switch assembly 69200172 operates the fog lamps. it includes the switch. the switch is not part of the electrical circuit ie it does not directly interrupt power to the fog lamps. it sends power to the BCM and the BCM sends power to fog lamps. if you want pictures or more info, ask.

The following users liked this post:
dave1075 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-04-2020 | 10:13 PM
coop creek
Road Captain

above is for harley fog lamps. if you use non harley fog lamps, you would have to do custom wiring. if you used the dash panel switch assembly above, you would have to move the switch from the outside position to (I think) the middle position. That sends power to the 4x molex auxiliary power connector behind the left side panel. you would have to run wire from this molex, then under the tank to the fog lamps. there is a guy on U-tube that did it this way. I don't know if the wiring was designed to handle this current, I would have used a relay, but that is beyond my abilities. If you have the manual, get a big cup of coffee and look at the wiring diagrams

Old 05-05-2020 | 06:46 AM
Redrodyankneck
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks, I saw the video which was quite good and cleared up my understanding of that molex plug #4A. I have a fan assist oil cooler so the #328B molex plug is being used for that using the inner most switch in the left switch pack.

Old 05-05-2020 | 07:21 AM
jake24lt
Stellar HDF Member
Default lights

Originally Posted by ntg433
If you look underneath you should find a blue and black wire with plugs on each side for the passing lamps. It’s not necessary to remove the fairing. On the bike that I added lamps to, the wires were visible after removing the side plates. I added a switch to the bank under the shroud on the left side, there’s a dummy switch in it’s place. There is a plug that connects to the switch to control the lamps. The shroud is now split so you don’t have to remove the ignition switch to get to the bank that holds the switches. Just cover tank and wiggle out to add the switch.
FYI, you never had to remove the ignition switch! Remove the two bolts that hold the cover on then turn the wheel on way or the other and the cover pulls right out! I have done this numerous times with out issue. If you have the tank off, even easier. If you buy the driving light kit, it comes with the switch pack and the harness to connect. Pretty sure mine came with two switches. One marked for the driving lights and one spare.Left side BTW.

See Harley's description below

Shaped by the wind, this Custom Auxiliary Lighting Kit follows contours of the triple tree and headlamp shell for a custom look.
  • Chrome finish
  • Brackets serve as stylized mounting points for passing lamp and turn signal housings
  • Eliminates cross brace and flat side supports of traditional auxiliary lamps
  • Kit includes passing lamp housings, retaining rings, chrome mounting brackets, auxiliary lamp switch and hardware
  • Auxiliary Lamp Bulbs sold separately

Old 05-05-2020 | 10:59 AM
Ultra 99
Cruiser

Originally Posted by coop creek
above is for harley fog lamps. if you use non harley fog lamps, you would have to do custom wiring. if you used the dash panel switch assembly above, you would have to move the switch from the outside position to (I think) the middle position. That sends power to the 4x molex auxiliary power connector behind the left side panel. you would have to run wire from this molex, then under the tank to the fog lamps. there is a guy on U-tube that did it this way. I don't know if the wiring was designed to handle this current, I would have used a relay, but that is beyond my abilities. If you have the manual, get a big cup of coffee and look at the wiring diagrams.

You can still use the same procedure and harness for non-Harley lights, no custom wiring needed except maybe where the wires connect to the lights. You don't need to connect to the side panel unless your lights draw higher amps than the Harley lights would. I did this on my 2019 RGU, all plug and play with non-Harley lights.

Last edited by Ultra 99; 05-05-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2020 | 11:43 AM
Redrodyankneck
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ultra 99
You can still use the same procedure and harness for non-Harley lights, no custom wiring needed except maybe where the wires connect to the lights. You don't need to connect to the side panel unless your lights draw higher amps than the Harley lights would. I did this on my 2019 RGU, all plug and play with non-Harley lights.
I agree, I've been looking at the Denali DM micro single intensity fog light.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...oaAqJtEALw_wcB
I would like to mount them on the under side of the top engine guard member, I also need to find a nice clamp to do this.

Old 05-05-2020 | 04:10 PM
coop creek
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ultra 99
Yes, that would work and it's simpler. You would have to rig up some way to connect the wires from the non harley lights to the wiring harness. You would think other manufacturers (Motolight,etc) would make their connectors compatible with Harley's connectors.

Old 05-06-2020 | 11:09 AM
Redrodyankneck
|
Stellar HDF Member

I found the wiring diagram and here is what I came up with....
The FLHX does not come pre-wired per say for the aux lamps, there is no extra plug for this I'll explain...
The plug for the turn signals is on the bike between the fork tube and the hole in the back side of the mounting bracket for the turn signal.
It has 4 places for wires, 3 are being used for the turn signal plug, the last place has a waterproof plug in it. These are plugs 31RB and 31LB and only 3 wire connections are shown on the wiring diagram, wire 1-3. The wire colors are , #1 is blue , #2 is violet brown , #3 is black
On the diagrams for FLHR/C and FLHT the #4 place is for the aux lamp. The return shows it to be chassis ground.
The aux lamp switch on the left switch pack goes to the BCM on a be/gy wire and comes out of the BCM on be/bk to #4 on plugs 31RA and 31 RB

For the FLHX, this would be where the feed for the aux light needs to go and in my case where the new fog lights would need to go.
I would also need to put the Button/ switch in the left switch pack to send power from the Aux light output contact in the switch pack to the Aux light input on the BCM.

Quick Reply: fog light question