Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020 | 02:33 PM
Ultra 99
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck
I found the wiring diagram and here is what I came up with....
The FLHX does not come pre-wired per say for the aux lamps, there is no extra plug for this I'll explain...
The plug for the turn signals is on the bike between the fork tube and the hole in the back side of the mounting bracket for the turn signal.
It has 4 places for wires, 3 are being used for the turn signal plug, the last place has a waterproof plug in it. These are plugs 31RB and 31LB and only 3 wire connections are shown on the wiring diagram, wire 1-3. The wire colors are , #1 is blue , #2 is violet brown , #3 is black
On the diagrams for FLHR/C and FLHT the #4 place is for the aux lamp. The return shows it to be chassis ground.
The aux lamp switch on the left switch pack goes to the BCM on a be/gy wire and comes out of the BCM on be/bk to #4 on plugs 31RA and 31 RB

For the FLHX, this would be where the feed for the aux light needs to go and in my case where the new fog lights would need to go.
I would also need to put the Button/ switch in the left switch pack to send power from the Aux light output contact in the switch pack to the Aux light input on the BCM.
All FLH and FLT models come with the wiring to support aux lamps. Look at plugs 31LA and 31RA. They have the 4 wires including the wire for the aux lamps. The FLHX's don't connect to the aux lamp wire with 31LB and 31RB because they only use 3 of the wires since the bikes don't come with the aux lamps to hook up to. My 2019 FLTRU is the same concept as your FHLX. The HD harness for the accessory aux lamps is part number 69201109 and it plugs in between the 31 A and B connectors, much like it T's into the circuit. This new harness then has a left and right feed that you would connect to your new aux lamps. If you have non-HD lamps you would either need to cut the connectors off the end of the new harness and use something else or wire your lights using the JAE style connectors for plug and play.

The switch bank for the left side of the fairing is 69200173 and the cap with the aux lamps icon is 71400044 and goes into the leftmost position. That's all plug and play.

It couldn't be any easier to add aux lamps to FLH's and FLT's that don't come with them.

Last edited by Ultra 99; 05-06-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-06-2020 | 06:37 PM
Redrodyankneck
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks, That last statement ..OUCH!

Old 05-06-2020 | 06:57 PM
coop creek
Road Captain

Someone needs to just buy the harness and lights and install it all! You don't even need to understand it to do it. As an aside, if you have a halogen headlamp, you are going to want to replace that with an LED so that the colors match. The Harley LED fogs are white and they really bring out the yellow in the halogen headlamp. Also, I followed the directions included with the Harley LED headlamp and switched the headlamp setting from dual halogen to standard. The fog lamps go out when the headlamp is on high beam.

Old 05-07-2020 | 06:23 AM
Redrodyankneck
|
Stellar HDF Member

OK Cobb here is where I say to you, if you understood how things worked then you could keep your fog lights on.

The following users liked this post:
Ultra 99 (05-07-2020)
Old 08-03-2022 | 11:31 AM
sumoHD
Stage I

Originally Posted by Ultra 99
You can still use the same procedure and harness for non-Harley lights, no custom wiring needed except maybe where the wires connect to the lights. You don't need to connect to the side panel unless your lights draw higher amps than the Harley lights would. I did this on my 2019 RGU, all plug and play with non-Harley lights.
Any chance you could share your install instructuions and parts used? thanks

Old 08-11-2022 | 07:11 AM
Ultra 99
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sumoHD
Any chance you could share your install instructuions and parts used? thanks
Post #11 above explains things. The only update is that you can use part number 69200172 for the left hand switch base and it comes with the switch cap for the passing lamps. On a Road Glide or Street Glide this will mount in place of the blank switch that's already on the bike from the factory. The wiring is already connected to the blank that you will connect to the new switch base. The accessory wiring harness for the lights is part number 69201109. It plugs into the turn signal wiring behind the fairing and provides wiring that runs down each side of the fairing to your lights. You might have to change the connectors at the ends if they are not compatible with your lights. This is all plug and play and you won't need anything else as long as your lights don't draw any more amps than the factory or accessory passing lamps would.

If you want the passing lamp indicator in the instruments to turn on when you switch on your lights you'll need to get that feature turned on in your BCM, either by the dealer or by using an aftermarket BCM programmer such as TechnoResearch. This is optional.

The following users liked this post:
sumoHD (08-11-2022)