Sponsored by:

Built-in / Normal M8 Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 12:05 PM
Mart
Road Master
Received 419 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamo11
This is a good response. You have to differentiate the Touring from the Softails. I'm just surprised that more M8 Softail owners haven't noticed annoying vibes.
Nope. Had 114 and now 107. Cant say I've noticed it and I dont willingly do discomfort.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:44 AM
Jamo11
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I originally had 1600 miles on the FLFBS when I bought it. It was very tight. Now that it’s up to 3100, I do notice it’s breaking in and the vibes are a bit less noticeable. They’re evening out. I’m getting used to them somewhat.
By the way, this thing is a beast! Someone had paid for a lot of accessories and mods and then gave it up. I knew it had the intake and SE slip ons. Maybe it has the SE cam too, I don’t know. It rips. I can’t get to the top of the power. Very comfortable and light Handles great Really a fun bike. love the fat rear tire.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:33 AM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Engineering vibration is hard to imagine.Apparently the engineers never rode in the 60's,when You couldn't see out of the mirrors,because they shook so much.You couldn't ride 100 miles without something cracking or falling off. I bought a 2017 because it had less vibration than a twin cam.If a 2021 had no vibration ,I would buy that. I considered a Gold wing because of no vibration,except they are almost as ugly as Indian.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:30 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 237 Posts

Buzzing vibration bad. The Harley shake good.
Moco has lost its way balancing the entire line up.
Catering to the aging “soft” sensitive boomers, and that’s a fact right outta the company playbook

The following users liked this post:
Super2k (08-19-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 05:52 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,999 Posts

Compared to the Evo Heritage Special I rode for 223,000 miles, my '19 Heritage is smooth as all get out. It's all relative I guess.

Then again, even "identical" bikes can vary, depending on production tolerances. Over the 25 years I had my previous bike, it had three different motors. All three had different amounts of vibration-the original motor being the smoothest (mechanics at the dealership use to remark on how smooth it ran). The third motor shook the worst.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:00 PM
Ericson38
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nirvana
Finally, someone else has noticed the vibrations. I have searched this forum looking for comments about M8 vibrations.

I traded a 103 twin cam Road King I had for nine years for a 2020 Street Glide with the 107 M8 last November. I have 1,000 miles on it now, riding when weather and conditions allow. There is definitely more overall vibration with the M8 than the twin cam. The twin cam would convulse like a paint shaker at idle, but any running speed greater than 2K RPM and it was smooth. The M8 vibrates less at idle, but the vibration is more offensive than the twin cam idle. The M8 vibrations seem to vary with rev range. It's especially bad at about 2,500 RPM. I also feel the vibrations through the floorboards, especially when accelerating. Ironically, I think it's the counterbalancer that's causing the vibrations.
I have a 2011 Road King Police stage II and I worked for two years at HD dealer in Northern Va, starting in mid 2016. So when the M8 came out and we rode them, I noticed that the vibration on all of them were more than the old King A motor at 50 mph and above. M8 is a pussycat at the stop light, but nags you when you go down the road.....I thought it was a step back in a way. But throttle curve calibration is real aggressive on an M8, so that when you give it the first 1/4 turn, it is about like the twin cam at 1/3 of a turn. At WOT, they even out, but the M8 is not linear through the throttle grip angle, as the twin cam is.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:38 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericson38
I have a 2011 Road King Police stage II and I worked for two years at HD dealer in Northern Va, starting in mid 2016. So when the M8 came out and we rode them, I noticed that the vibration on all of them were more than the old King A motor at 50 mph and above. M8 is a pussycat at the stop light, but nags you when you go down the road.....I thought it was a step back in a way. But throttle curve calibration is real aggressive on an M8, so that when you give it the first 1/4 turn, it is about like the twin cam at 1/3 of a turn. At WOT, they even out, but the M8 is not linear through the throttle grip angle, as the twin cam is.
Thanks for sharing that. It is consistent with what I'm experiencing.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:09 AM
Nick LaBrie
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamo11
I went into my local Harley dealer with the idea that may be some of what I perceived as being vibration might be attributable to wheel balance. The wrench rode the bike and dismissed the idea of it being either a balance or engine vibration problem.
He thinks that I shift too soon that I am not keeping the bike in the power band and that the engine is lugging as a result. I tend to shift about 2600 RPM. He wants me to shift no earlier than
3000 RPM.He says sixth gear is for 80 miles an hour. Well I’m trying his technique I’m not sure I agree with him. He wants me mostly in fourth gear unless I’m on the highway.
I think he’s right. I’m riding a 20 FLFBS, and after lots of years riding an 08 FLSTF w/ a TC96, for me, it’s totally different. Definitely shifting no sooner than 3k, and can’t use 6th unless I’m at least over 70mph. Took some adjusting for me, for sure!

Old 04-23-2021, 08:11 PM
MoBillyAla
Tourer

Received 116 Likes on 63 Posts
Default No Vibes

Originally Posted by SWMB
I would consider my M8 pretty well vibration free after coming off my Sportster. Actually traded bikes with a buddy who has a Victory for a few miles one ride and my M8 had less vibration than the Victory,
Maybe my nerves are numb from my Sportster, but yeh my M8 is smooth. To the OP, I would suggest riding other M8's preferably same type of bike and have others ride your bike to compare. Maybe you are right and there is something there, excessive vibes possibly, or maybe your somewhat sensitive. It could be relative to the frequencies of the M8 as well. Who knows. I have ridden both of my bikes back to back (Heritage first, then Sportster) and the M8 was like silk, through all the ranges. my Sportster, was much more noticeably shaky. Despite what we think, no two bikes are built exactly the same. .

Old 04-23-2021, 09:22 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Old thread but....my experience includes owning or riding several M-8's both 107 and 114. Both in Softail and Touring frames. Both with Stock, Stage 1, and Stage 2. I found the Stock 107 in the Touring frame is smoother at all rpms than the Softails with the same engine. That's expected due to rubber vs rigid mounting. Even with dual counterbalancers the Softails get more buzzy with rpm, the 107's less so than the 114's. Adding Stage 1 adds noise but no vibration. Adding Stage 2 adds vibration I assume due to improved cam timing, fuel/ignition mapping, and possibly some piston weight (but that was questioned here before).

In my experience is the 107's are smoother than the 114's in the Softails. That's from riding both within minutes back and forth over the same course and rpm's. In the Touring line I could detect little difference worth noting.

The following 2 users liked this post by PA1195:
Ivabign (06-24-2021), triumph900 (08-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Built-in / Normal M8 Vibration