Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this sumping... or sumping worse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020 | 06:42 PM
scooper321
|
Road Warrior
Default Is this sumping... or sumping worse?

Just got back from an annoying ride. All of about 7 miles. I was on the highway when my 2017 RGS (Stage III) stranded me. I was in the next to left lane, switched to the left lane and accelerated to get around a semi. I was going about 70 mph, I think, in either 5th or 6th. I didn't down shift, just accelerated to go around him and ... nothing. I didn't speed up at all. Then I noticed a loud growling and realize it was coming from my bike. I let off the throttle and nothing happened. That is, it wasn't accelerating when I twisted the throttle and I don't think I noticed any engine drag when I let off the throttle. The growling from the engine stopped when I let off the throttle however. I tried it once or twice again and realized I had no acceleration and I was slowing down. So I pulled off to the shoulder. Long before I was able to stop, the engine had stalled. It would not restart. I did smell something. Could have been oil. Not sure. But whatever it was, it wasn't normal. Even now, an hour later at home, the engine won't start (it tries to crank but won't turn over). The Check Engine light is on and stays on. So obviously something is wrong.

I've only had the bike since November. And with the rainy winter, I'm embarrassed to say I've probably only put a few hundred (yup, hundred) miles on her. I had her out yesterday for a couple hours, with no issues at all. No sluggishness, no unresponsiveness. She rode great.

I'm aware the M8 with Stage 3 had issues early on. This bike *should* have had the new oil pump on it. I reviewed the service history of the bike when I bought it and I'm pretty sure that the oil pump had been upgraded. So I don't know if this is a sumping issue or not.

I did check the oil right away once she broke down on the side of the road. I have to say, I'm not thrilled with what I saw. I'm not used to oil being so light, or so bubbly. I know it's clean, because they did a 10k mile service when I bought it. But this doesn't look right. Any thoughts?

And yes, I did buy an extended warranty...Thinking that was a good move...

More sad than angry.

Old 03-20-2020 | 07:20 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member

.Sumping is my guess based on your info. Oil looks boiled. Good thing you got ESP!
Time to call your dealer.

Old 03-20-2020 | 07:32 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Good news..
The foam is not your problem and the bike is not sumping.

Bad News
Based on this "it tries to crank but won't turn over", I'd say the motor just tried to eat itself.

Old 03-20-2020 | 08:03 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

That oil could be from the motor being overfilled. Sumping would show no or very little on the stick.

"tries to crank but won't turn over" does that mean the motor turns but won't start combustion? Or does it mean it doesn't move when the started is pushed?

And what was date of the supposed oil pump upgrade? (Important point)

Last edited by Mchad; 03-20-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2020 | 08:30 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

When they sump and you let off the throttle at speed the bike will almost stop dead in its tracks because of severe engine braking! At least that's been my experience twice.

The following users liked this post:
scooper321 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020 | 08:32 PM
scooper321
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mchad
That oil could be from the motor being overfilled. Sumping would show no or very little on the stick.

"tries to crank but won't turn over" does that mean the motor turns but won't start combustion? Or does it mean it doesn't move when the started is pushed?

And what was date of the supposed oil pump upgrade? (Important point)
I believe the starter is cranking, but the motor itself doesn't seem to be moving, or trying to "catch" and move.

I just read over the service history. I saw where the Stage III was done, but I don't see anything about a new oil pump. Yikes. So maybe I don't have one of the newer oil pump revisions at all. All of this work was done at the dealer.

Old 03-20-2020 | 08:33 PM
scooper321
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Good news..
The foam is not your problem and the bike is not sumping.

Bad News
Based on this "it tries to crank but won't turn over", I'd say the motor just tried to eat itself.
Is that the technical description? LOL What does that mean?

Old 03-20-2020 | 08:34 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by scooper321
I believe the starter is cranking, but the motor itself doesn't seem to be moving, or trying to "catch" and move.

I just read over the service history. I saw where the Stage III was done, but I don't see anything about a new oil pump. Yikes. So maybe I don't have one of the newer oil pump revisions at all. All of this work was done at the dealer.
If that's the case, check your primary.

The following users liked this post:
JohnTz (03-21-2020)
Old 03-20-2020 | 08:38 PM
scooper321
|
Road Warrior

Yeah, I don't know what I'd be looking at if I opened that up. That's where the warranty will have to come in. I guess it's a little comforting to hear that it doesn't *sound* like this is a sumping issue. Maybe something in the engine just broke? There was no sound, or clunk or any indication that something may have seized, snapped or collided.

Old 03-21-2020 | 09:15 AM
JohnTz
Cruiser

Listen to Max.

Quick Reply: Is this sumping... or sumping worse?