Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS radio arrived for GT swap but USB cable delayed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019 | 11:18 PM
Heatwave
|
Default GTS radio arrived for GT swap but USB cable delayed

Anyone else order a replacement GTS radio during HD’s Black Friday - Cyber Monday sale? I received my GTS Boom radio 76000829A which includes a new GPS antenna and a replacement right hand turn signal switch with a different symbol on it that replaces the “info” symbol switch on the GT BOOM systems.

But according to the HD website, to replace the GT BOOM with a GTS BOOM, it requires replacing the USB cable part # 69200031A. Anyone have a clue why the USB cable would need to be replaced? I assume it has to do with transmitted data associated with apps like Waze and Google maps for use with CarPlay, but that’s just a guess.

Anyways its surprising that the USB cable appears to still be on order but still awaiting shipping from HD even though I’ve received the GTS already. Hard to believe a simple (but expensive - $30) USB cable would be out of inventory.

Old 12-18-2019 | 11:49 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

It happens...

Old 12-19-2019 | 04:04 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

I am in the same predicament.... waiting waiting waiting........ I read on a thread somewhere someone was going to try using the old one. Not sure of the outcome.

Old 12-19-2019 | 05:36 AM
Erilflynn
Road Master
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
I am in the same predicament.... waiting waiting waiting........ I read on a thread somewhere someone was going to try using the old one. Not sure of the outcome.
Think I read somewhere it worked fine.

Old 12-19-2019 | 08:51 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

I think someone on the audio side installed his without the USB cable. I think I read someone used the old cable as well and it worked. Not positive though.

Old 12-19-2019 | 10:04 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

I know I read that somewheres as well and cant find it... checking w my parts guy. Also read someone used his old XM Sirius module and it works as well.

Old 12-19-2019 | 10:13 AM
Heatwave
|

I know I read that somewheres as well and cant find it... checking w my parts guy. Also read someone used his old XM Sirius module and it works as well.
Worth noting that the HD website says
"Fits '19-later FLHTCU, FLHTCUTG, FLHTK, and FLHX models with a 4.3 Boom!™ Box Radio. Also fits '14-'18 FLHTCU, FLHTCUL, FLHTK, FLHTKL, FLHTKSE, FLHX, FLHXS, FLHXSE and FLHTCUTG, models with separate purchase of USB Connector P/N 69200031A. Also fits '19-later Electra Glide® Standard models with separate purchase of appropriate Hand Controls, Wiring, and Antenna."

I can only assume that the older USB cables on the GT BOOM unit are not suitable for the data transfer rates required for smooth operation of CarPlay between and iPhone and the GTS unit.

Old 12-19-2019 | 10:28 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...l#post18743213 post #45 states he used the old usb cable and worked as well with Apple Car Play! I just cancelled my order for the cable and tomorrow will try the install and all without.

Last edited by GlidingJoe; 12-19-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2019 | 10:38 AM
Heatwave
|

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...l#post18743213 post #45 states he used the old usb cable and worked as well with Apple Car Play! I just cancelled my order for the cable and tomorrow will try the install and all without.
I hope you're right but I was reading some examples over on the audio threads where certain larger files were not working on the GTS even though they worked on the GT unit. It made me wonder if the GTS unit needs a larger "pipeline" for data transfer and the new USB cable has a higher data transfer rate than the old one. So under "light data transfer duty" the old cable might be fine but as the data transfer rate increases, there may be hiccups with the older cable? Just throwing around ideas based on some of the experiences reported.

Old 12-19-2019 | 11:05 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Just curious... does anyone know....

I've looked at adding the GTS to my 2016 Ultra Classic.... but I use a thumb drive, plugged into the USB cable for all my music...

Does the new GTS still allow for that? Or is it strictly set up for all the cellphone carplay/android audio type stuff...?

Thanks for any insight...

Quick Reply: GTS radio arrived for GT swap but USB cable delayed