Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like Harley has made the BOOM GTS upgradeable for '14-'18 Rushmores

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020 | 01:10 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

I freaking hate the 6.5 so I’ll probably bite the bullet and do it eventually...it’s the only reason I’d want to upgrade to a new bike, the RDRS is cool but I think just having ABS is plenty.

Old 07-01-2020 | 06:46 AM
Old Sport
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by TriDan
I'm trying to read up and see if the XM from the 6.5 GT will drop into the GTS radio. I see it both ways. I'd rather not spend $400 if I don't have to.

CB, Intercom, WHIM, all should drop in from what I read. Just the XM is a question to me.
I did this upgrade couple of months ago on my 2018 CVO SG. I moved the XM module from my 6.5 to the new GTS unit. Everything works fine, including the traffic and weather overlays (actively used them on a recent trip).

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
I freaking hate the 6.5 so I’ll probably bite the bullet and do it eventually...it’s the only reason I’d want to upgrade to a new bike, the RDRS is cool but I think just having ABS is plenty.
Totally with you - and felt the same way. The GTS is a huge leap forward and gets me that "new bike" feel.

The following users liked this post:
GlidingJoe (07-01-2020)
Old 07-19-2020 | 04:34 PM
30glock
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
it’s the only reason I’d want to upgrade to a new bike
I would bet plenty of people did just that, once HD announced no backward upgrade for the GTS, I wonder now how many regret getting rid off their perfect bike for the GTS ? Currently waiting on my GTS to arrive.

Last edited by 30glock; 07-19-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2020 | 04:37 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

That hill assist is my favorite. And tpms as well.

Old 12-21-2020 | 04:32 PM
CJ CYCLE
Novice

Originally Posted by jclax01
I truly need an upgrade. I have the 4.3 boom system. but that price for a head unit is way out of line. no way would I pay that much. and it has carplay for apple only and I am an android guy. I have carplay in my vette and it is very awesome
I have a 6.5 GT I will sell you for $500.

Old 08-10-2022 | 12:14 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by londo-cat
Like most of you who waited until HD finally made the 2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A) available for the older 2014 Street Glide - this was a much awaited product. As soon as it hit - I bought it as well as the Custom Face Gauges - Speedo / Tach Cluster - MPH (70900773A), and the TPMS system (42300124) for the 2020 motorcyles.

Now - for those that are asking if you can get the TPMS to work on the
2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A). Does it work? Short answer - Yes.

Longer Answer below:
YES - A retrofit is possible on all Rushmore Models.

For models 2017 and newer you only need 2x tire pressure sensors. (Part number with chrome valves: 32700052 with black valves: 32700096)
For models 2014-2016 you need also a new BCM (Part Number 41000341 or 41000341a,b,c,d,e)
You will also need new FOBs, The old ones are not compatible with the newer BCM or you buy a complete kit with 2 FOBs. (Click me)

Both the old Infotainment and the new 2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A) have TPMS screens. So you don't need to upgrade your infotainment just to see TPMS on the screen.
However - to get the TPMS low pressure warning light on your instrument cluster, you will need to upgrade the Speedo / Tach Cluster - MPH (70900773A).

Then - install the TMPS sensor into the front and rear tire. Assign pressure sensors to BCM using the TPMS ACTIVATION TOOL (HD-51794) *AND* the DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II (HD-48650).

Next up - how do you set the thresholds for low tire pressure? Well - that's a DIGITAL ASSISTANT *ONLY* setting.

NO - you can't change TPMS threshold settings via the GTS Infotainment. It *ONLY* shows front and back tire pressures and triggers the Low/High pressure light - that's *ALL*. Kind of retarded... You would think HD would put in a way to change this ON the GTS Infotainment system but they don't. This might be a future firmware update - but as of now (December 2019) this does not exist and is strictly a DA tool setting.

Lastly - once you have it all together. It all works pretty well. I have the new Infotainment, TPMS and Car Play on a 2014 Street Glide Special.

Was it worth spending $3000 for an GTS Infotainment/TPMS/BCM/Tach-Speedo upgrade?

IMHO - NO! Spending $3k on a tech upgrade just to get a faster infotainment and car play is not advisable, and the usability of TPMS isn't all that great considering you have to use the DA just to set thresholds.
So yeah, I get the bragging rights on having a new GTS infotainment & TPMS and upgraded Tach/speedo - but I get the dumb-*** award for blowing $3k on a stupid tech upgrade.

Bottom line - if you have $3k to blow on this upgrade - go ahead. You might like it. For me - I wanted to do a tech refresh without buying a whole new Harley just to get the new electronics. In my case - this upgrade worked for me.
Thank you for this! I am considering an upgrade to the GTS for my '17 RGS with the Boom 6.5GT. I am doing the upgrade for CarPlay and current maps, I never even considered the TPMS, but I want it!

If I understand this correctly, for a bike with the 6.5GT, all I need extra for TPMS are the two tire pressure sensors and those should work on the OEM rims.
Correct?

Last edited by hairymoth; 08-10-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2022 | 06:14 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Short answer is Yes, your bike (2017 RGS) already has the right BCM to get TPMS working (it's just disabled in your BCM).
btw, it will work on either the GT or the GTS...

Longer answer...
All you need is the sensors installed in your wheels, then get the BCM "programmed" enabling TPMS in the BCM/sensors paired with BCM/TPMS enable under "Radio Customizations".
That will get the TPMS to show up on the stereo, it is not going to show up on your stock gauges though... but it will on the radio.

I have a 2016 RGU, I had it done, using stock wheels (had them chromed) with the 11.4mm valve stem holes, the HD sensors (valve stems) are for 8.3mm holes... I used a bushing in the hole to make it fit tight (I got the idea from other guys on this forum). I have had them installed a year now and almost 12K miles without any issue. But if your wheels have 8.3mm valve stem holes, the sensors will fit out of the box (cant remember what yours has). Either way it is super simple... usually the hardest thing is getting it "programmed" by some Harley dealers (Digital Tech), but anybody (Indy/friend) with TechnoResearch Centurion, Diag4Bike, or similar programmer can enable it.

Post #159 of this thread is pictures of what I am talking about, and what I did to my wheels, if you have 11.4mm holes...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...1-tpms-16.html

the last page of this thread the guy has the GT doing the same thing
post #192
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...1-tpms-20.html

FWIW, 2017 was the first year the touring came out with the right BCM for this (its just disabled on non-CVO bikes), those of us with 2014 thru 2016 touring bikes needed to switch the BCM's out to get it to be available. The replacement part number now for the BCM for 2016 thru 2021, at least, touring models with security is the same part number #41000341F.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 08-10-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2022 | 07:19 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Short answer is Yes, your bike (2017 RGS) already has the right BCM to get TPMS working (it's just disabled in your BCM).
btw, it will work on either the GT or the GTS...

Longer answer...
All you need is the sensors installed in your wheels, then get the BCM "programmed" enabling TPMS in the BCM/sensors paired with BCM/TPMS enable under "Radio Customizations".
That will get the TPMS to show up on the stereo, it is not going to show up on your stock gauges though... but it will on the radio….

Thank you. I never knew I could have that with the GT, but I will do it when I get the GTS.. I will be read for (at least) one tire by then, so..

Old 08-12-2022 | 09:30 AM
hairymoth
Road Warrior

Another question.. Is their any reason to go with a brand new unit as opposed to to buying a used one from a 2022 bike?

By shear luck, I found a guy buying a brand new bike and he is having the head unit replaced before the bike leaves the dealer.
the price of the used, but brand new GTS is too good to pass up.

Old 08-12-2022 | 11:59 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

No at all, except warranty issues possibly.

The following users liked this post:
hairymoth (08-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Looks like Harley has made the BOOM GTS upgradeable for '14-'18 Rushmores