Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like Harley has made the BOOM GTS upgradeable for '14-'18 Rushmores

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019 | 09:08 PM
jpjcm1
Novice

I just received my GTS from Harley and plan on installing it myself on my 2018 Ultra Limited. I also plan on using the USB cable from my Boom GT... hope it works.

Old 12-15-2019 | 03:46 AM
styledriver
6th Gear
Default 2020 Boom GTS to be flashed/tuned into 2014s+?

I am just installing the Rockford Fosgate HD14-TKIT (thats for upgraded front speakers plus amp) on my 14' SG and had my "old" OEM Boom GT flashed beforehand (thanks to Techno Research device provided by my German RF dealer). Should anyone have the new 2020 GTS Boom upgrade to be combined with an aftermarket sound system pls share your experience.

Is the new boom to be flashed in that case or otherwise to be adjusted to work in the factory 2014+ Boom GT setup?

Cheers Kristian

Old 12-27-2019 | 06:38 AM
serioussv3n
Cruiser

Any update on this?

Old 12-27-2019 | 07:25 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by styledriver
I am just installing the Rockford Fosgate HD14-TKIT (thats for upgraded front speakers plus amp) on my 14' SG and had my "old" OEM Boom GT flashed beforehand (thanks to Techno Research device provided by my German RF dealer). Should anyone have the new 2020 GTS Boom upgrade to be combined with an aftermarket sound system pls share your experience.

Is the new boom to be flashed in that case or otherwise to be adjusted to work in the factory 2014+ Boom GT setup?

Cheers Kristian
To answer your question, I have installed the BOOM GTS head unit with aftermarket amp and speakers. The head unit needs to be flashed no differently then the flash you had done to your GT unit for your Rockford equip.
I believe the GTS has better sound then the previous units. I was able to dial in the amp settings and feel is has better sound quality. Maybe just my ears are getting older and everything sounds better or after spending the money for the head unit, it has to be better.... hahahaha

Originally Posted by serioussv3n
Any update on this?
what would you like to know? Here is another thread that has a lot of info and all

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...e-delayed.html

Old 12-28-2019 | 02:30 AM
londo-cat
Cruiser

Like most of you who waited until HD finally made the 2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A) available for the older 2014 Street Glide - this was a much awaited product. As soon as it hit - I bought it as well as the Custom Face Gauges - Speedo / Tach Cluster - MPH (70900773A), and the TPMS system (42300124) for the 2020 motorcyles.

Now - for those that are asking if you can get the TPMS to work on the
2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A). Does it work? Short answer - Yes.

Longer Answer below:
YES - A retrofit is possible on all Rushmore Models.

For models 2017 and newer you only need 2x tire pressure sensors. (Part number with chrome valves: 32700052 with black valves: 32700096)
For models 2014-2016 you need also a new BCM (Part Number 41000341 or 41000341a,b,c,d,e)
You will also need new FOBs, The old ones are not compatible with the newer BCM or you buy a complete kit with 2 FOBs. (Click me)

Both the old Infotainment and the new 2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A) have TPMS screens. So you don't need to upgrade your infotainment just to see TPMS on the screen.
However - to get the TPMS low pressure warning light on your instrument cluster, you will need to upgrade the Speedo / Tach Cluster - MPH (70900773A).

Then - install the TMPS sensor into the front and rear tire. Assign pressure sensors to BCM using the TPMS ACTIVATION TOOL (HD-51794) *AND* the DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II (HD-48650).

Next up - how do you set the thresholds for low tire pressure? Well - that's a DIGITAL ASSISTANT *ONLY* setting.

NO - you can't change TPMS threshold settings via the GTS Infotainment. It *ONLY* shows front and back tire pressures and triggers the Low/High pressure light - that's *ALL*. Kind of retarded... You would think HD would put in a way to change this ON the GTS Infotainment system but they don't. This might be a future firmware update - but as of now (December 2019) this does not exist and is strictly a DA tool setting.

Lastly - once you have it all together. It all works pretty well. I have the new Infotainment, TPMS and Car Play on a 2014 Street Glide Special.

Was it worth spending $3000 for an GTS Infotainment/TPMS/BCM/Tach-Speedo upgrade?

IMHO - NO! Spending $3k on a tech upgrade just to get a faster infotainment and car play is not advisable, and the usability of TPMS isn't all that great considering you have to use the DA just to set thresholds.
So yeah, I get the bragging rights on having a new GTS infotainment & TPMS and upgraded Tach/speedo - but I get the dumb-*** award for blowing $3k on a stupid tech upgrade.

Bottom line - if you have $3k to blow on this upgrade - go ahead. You might like it. For me - I wanted to do a tech refresh without buying a whole new Harley just to get the new electronics. In my case - this upgrade worked for me.

The following 4 users liked this post by londo-cat:
General Hangover (11-08-2020), Old Sport (12-28-2019), ROJO (06-02-2021), styledriver (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019 | 05:20 AM
styledriver
6th Gear
Default New BCM/FOB only for TPMS?

Originally Posted by londo-cat
Longer Answer below:

For models 2017 and newer you only need 2x tire pressure sensors. (Part number with chrome valves: 32700052 with black valves: 32700096)
For models 2014-2016 you need also a new BCM (Part Number 41000341 or 41000341a,b,c,d,e)
You will also need new FOBs, The old ones are not compatible with the newer BCM or you buy a complete kit with 2 FOBs.
Is the new BCM plus FOBs only needed for the TPMS to operate? Or are these needed anyway? Can you be more exact?
thanks, K.

Old 12-28-2019 | 07:55 AM
jpjcm1
Novice

Originally Posted by londo-cat
Like most of you who waited until HD finally made the 2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A) available for the older 2014 Street Glide - this was a much awaited product. As soon as it hit - I bought it as well as the Custom Face Gauges - Speedo / Tach Cluster - MPH (70900773A), and the TPMS system (42300124) for the 2020 motorcyles.

Now - for those that are asking if you can get the TPMS to work on the
2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A). Does it work? Short answer - Yes.

Longer Answer below:

You will also need new FOBs, The old ones are not compatible with the newer BCM or you buy a complete kit with 2 FOBs. (Click me)

Both the old Infotainment and the new 2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A) have TPMS screens. So you don't need to upgrade your infotainment just to see TPMS on the screen.
However - to get the TPMS low pressure warning light on your instrument cluster, you will need to upgrade the Speedo / Tach Cluster - MPH (70900773A).

Then - install the TMPS sensor into the front and rear tire. Assign pressure sensors to BCM using the TPMS ACTIVATION TOOL (HD-51794) *AND* the DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II (HD-48650).

Next up - how do you set the thresholds for low tire pressure? Well - that's a DIGITAL ASSISTANT *ONLY* setting.

NO - you can't change TPMS threshold settings via the GTS Infotainment. It *ONLY* shows front and back tire pressures and triggers the Low/High pressure light - that's *ALL*. Kind of retarded... You would think HD would put in a way to change this ON the GTS Infotainment system but they don't. This might be a future firmware update - but as of now (December 2019) this does not exist and is strictly a DA tool setting.

Lastly - once you have it all together. It all works pretty well. I have the new Infotainment, TPMS and Car Play on a 2014 Street Glide Special.

Was it worth spending $3000 for an GTS Infotainment/TPMS/BCM/Tach-Speedo upgrade?

IMHO - NO! Spending $3k on a tech upgrade just to get a faster infotainment and car play is not advisable, and the usability of TPMS isn't all that great considering you have to use the DA just to set thresholds.
So yeah, I get the bragging rights on having a new GTS infotainment & TPMS and upgraded Tach/speedo - but I get the dumb-*** award for blowing $3k on a stupid tech upgrade.

Bottom line - if you have $3k to blow on this upgrade - go ahead. You might like it. For me - I wanted to do a tech refresh without buying a whole new Harley just to get the new electronics. In my case - this upgrade worked for me.
Did you have any issues installing the TPMS on the stock rims? I was told they only work on the CVO type rims.

As for, is it worth it? Yes, it’s a safety upgrade in my opinion.

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-28-2019 | 11:12 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by styledriver
Is the new BCM plus FOBs only needed for the TPMS to operate? Or are these needed anyway? Can you be more exact?
thanks, K.
Only to have the TPMS do you need to venture down the BCM path and all the other components to make it work. Just a GTS radio...... only requires a flash from the dealer or an Indie w Software

Old 12-28-2019 | 11:30 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

interesting. so the tpms threshold can be adjusted ?...heard you could not....for now tire pressure spot on or higher to keep the warning light off

Old 12-28-2019 | 12:36 PM
londo-cat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jpjcm1
Did you have any issues installing the TPMS on the stock rims? I was told they only work on the CVO type rims.

As for, is it worth it? Yes, it’s a safety upgrade in my opinion.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, I was told my stock 2014 rims had to be modified - and they pulled the tires and modified them in the HD shop to allow for the sensor. Not sure exactly what was done - so no pics to show before and after since I didn't do the work. Here is what the TPMS sensors look like though.

In the TPMS instructions - it says:
Model fitment information: MY20 and later OEM/Stock Touring wheels.

Technically - you can get MY20 Stock Touring wheels and those should work fine too.

Last edited by londo-cat; 12-28-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Looks like Harley has made the BOOM GTS upgradeable for '14-'18 Rushmores