Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like Harley has made the BOOM GTS upgradeable for '14-'18 Rushmores

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019 | 06:43 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I’m not aware of any limitations upgrading from the older systems to the new GTS BOOM. Lots of improvements like boot up speed, Carplay, faster processing. The only loss is to your wallet.
Doesn't CarPlay require adding the WHIM module?

Old 11-29-2019 | 06:52 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Sony XAV7000 IMHO is far from a close replacement for HD Boom.
Features I depend upon, that the
Sony XAV7000 is missing:
- Intercom
- CB
- Navigation...yeah Appleplay sort of supports this, if you are in cell tower range.
- Touch screen works with gloves
- Fully integrated with existing handle bar controls
- Voice commands, although I wish the HD had more commands supported.

For me personally, (and this is just ME)

Have never and will never use the intercom

Have never and will never use the CB

Navigation: This would be my major sticking point. Its advertised in a few places as having navigation. No mention of the fact that its navigation tied to your cellphone. Which for the most part I would prefer as I hate how stand alone GPSs work (entering addresses) But, I concede that as little as I do actually use it (maybe 5 times in as many years) Im not willing to depend on having cell service. I wish it offered both. Prefer the cellphone based, but fall back on standalone if needed.

Gloves, not a deal breaker for me.

Handlbar controls: Another one of those "read the fine print" items apparently. Again, advertised as compatible, but they don't mention the finer points as mentioned a few posts up.

Voice commands. Don't care. I don't talk to electronics. Nor do I accept or make phone calls while riding.

So, Yes, the Boom is more functional. (as it should be at that price) I should have been more specific in my original post. For ME and MY needs. I would look at the Sony. I would PREFER the new Boom, but that is one hell of a chunk of change. And 98 percent of the time, I play music and thats it. If I can advance tracks and raise/lower volume via the hand controls, I could live with that.

Last edited by flyingace; 11-29-2019 at 06:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ddsdoorguy (11-30-2019)
Old 11-29-2019 | 06:53 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member

I believe your existing XM module will work just fine with the GTS.
I bet it will. The only difference of the actual items that come with the xm module is that the antenna bracket has changed. But it still places the antenna in a bad location for xm reception. The antenna works best when mounted to the side of the batwing vent.

Old 11-29-2019 | 08:20 PM
Heatwave
|

Originally Posted by flyingace
Not if you have a hardwired headset or if you have your dealer deactivate the Boom microphone. Either of those 2 situations will allow for the use of Carplay without WHIM. If you are using a hardwired connected headset, you’ll need your iphone connected by hardwire to the bike to enable CarPlay.

Old 11-29-2019 | 08:44 PM
Msquad
Road Captain

I believe your existing XM module will work just fine with the GTS.
Thanks. I also saw this mentioned on the RG forum.

Old 11-29-2019 | 11:13 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by flyingace
no, only if you want to hear and talk to it through the headset, the dealer can turn it in and it will work , it’s always worked that way

Old 11-30-2019 | 10:14 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior

This is a great option if you have to replace the old radio, but I would not spend the money just to upgrade.

Old 11-30-2019 | 01:14 PM
drick81
Novice

Does anyone know for sure if you have to flash the new Boom GTS 2019-2020 when adding an aftermarket amp ? I had heard that with the removal of the eq curve starting on the 2019's people no longer have to get a flash after installation. But i need to confirm that before proceeding. Thanks

Old 11-30-2019 | 01:18 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by drick81
Does anyone know for sure if you have to flash the new Boom GTS 2019-2020 when adding an aftermarket amp ? I had heard that with the removal of the eq curve starting on the 2019's people no longer have to get a flash after installation. But i need to confirm that before proceeding. Thanks
who said the stock radios didn't have a preset EQ from the factory? Don't think that's true, so yes with aftermarket speakers and maps, the radio eq will have to be flattened.

Old 11-30-2019 | 01:36 PM
drick81
Novice

Originally Posted by teedoff65
who said the stock radios didn't have a preset EQ from the factory? Don't think that's true, so yes with aftermarket speakers and maps, the radio eq will have to be flattened.
I was just going off what the guy at the sound shop told me. He said starting with the 19's after Harley changed the the Boom GTS to all touch screen you didnt need a flash. I kinda took it with a grain of salt and i definitely wanted (need) to confirm one way or another. But if i dont need a flash i plan on just installing the kit myself, but if i got to get a flash may as well have them do the whole job.

Quick Reply: Looks like Harley has made the BOOM GTS upgradeable for '14-'18 Rushmores